Prediction At Left Guard? La’el Collins’ Role?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Monday, July 20, 2015 2:30 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

Despite completing four weeks of OTAs and mini-camp practices, several things remain unsettled for the Cowboys. When the team reports to training camp on July 28 in Oxnard, Calif., several questions still need answers.

The staff writers at DallasCowboys.com – Rob Phillips, David Helman, Nick Eatman and Bryan Broaddus – will attempt to answer these questions before the start of training camp.

Today, the staff continues the series by predicting a winner in the expected left guard competition between incumbent starter Ronald Leary and rookie La’el Collins:

6) Do you expect La’el Collins to challenge Ronald Leary at left guard?

Rob Phillips: Quick story on Ron Leary: I chatted with him on his official pre-draft visit to Valley Ranch in 2012, and to this day he’s the only draft prospect I’ve encountered who wore a full suit and tie on an official visit. I’m sure he’s not the only guy ever to show up dressed for a board meeting, but here’s my point: From Day One, Leary has been about business. The Cowboys signed him as an undrafted free agent that year, and he’s been a focused, serious-minded pro ever since. No doubt that’s helped him earn a starting job and keep it the last two years. Collins has a lot of talent, and the Cowboys wouldn’t have recruited him so heavily if they didn’t see star potential. But Leary takes his job very seriously, and it’s no coincidence DeMarco Murray ran so effectively to the left side behind Leary and Tyron Smith. I think left guard will be an interesting competition, but I expect Leary to win it with Collins starting his NFL career as a swing guard/tackle backup. Pretty nice luxury for the O-Line.

Nick Eatman: To me, Ron Leary is like Kyle Kosier from a few years ago. That offensive line had three Pro Bowlers – Gurode, Flozell and Leonard Davis. But if you asked Romo about the stars on the line, he’d always talk about Kosier and how important he was to the group. That’s how I see Leary, who never gets the pub as the other three. And therefore, you just sort of view him as a weak link. I don’t think J.J. Watt would say that considering how well Leary played him last year. So no, I don’t think Collins or anyone beats out Leary. I think Collins sticks at OT and will eventually be the swing tackle there and ready to take over the RT spot next year.

Bryan Broaddus: I am usually not one of those guys that say it can never happen but in this case – I feel that it is going to be very difficult for La’el Collins to beat Ronald Leary out for his starting spot. As much as I like Collins and what he brings to this offensive line for the future he is not ready to take this job. The Cowboys have been extremely fortunate to have drafted some players in their offensive line that have been “plug and play” types – I just don’t see that with Collins at this point. I am not saying that Collins cannot one day develop into an outstanding player but where he is clearly behind Leary is in his technique and experience. Leary and Tyron Smith have done an outstanding job of working together on that left side where as a duo they have been ranked as one of the best in the league when it comes to yards per carry behind them. As a coaching staff you just don’t break that combination up without having good reason and in this case they don’t. La’el Collins will have his day to start – it just won’t be this season.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Broaddus is literally the only person down on Collins, always hints that he's a project.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Broaddus is literally the only person down on Collins, always hints that he's a project.
I don't think Collins is a project but he has some competing and proving to do before he unseated Leary. There will come a time when he probably starts but I think that will be next season at the earliest barring injury to Leary.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't think Collins is a project but he has some competing and proving to do before he unseated Leary. There will come a time when he probably starts but I think that will be next season at the earliest barring injury to Leary.
You do know that this is Jiggys take as well?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't get it either.

But then again, if we had picked him in the first like he was supposed to be chosen, he would say how he is going to step right in and start.

dallen

Senior Tech
UDFA = Project. What is so hard for you guys to understand?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No but I do agree to the extent that Leary and Smith have combined to give us a freakishly high YPC on the left side of this offensive line and I hate to break that up.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No but I do agree to the extent that Leary and Smith have combined to give us a freakishly high YPC on the left side of this offensive line and I hate to break that up.
Yeah. Simple deal. He just doesn't walk up and take over as starter. He competes and earns. If he does that then polish up the star on his helmet.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is a reason that we would not draft an OL in the 1st after re-signing Free, and it's because the 5 we have already have great synergy and it would be nearly impossible for a rookie to break into that group in his 1st season. With that said, Collins' talent will win out eventually, likely by his 2nd year, I just doubt he's refined enough to walk right in and beat out Leary or Free as a rookie.

We went after Collins because he was free money, and it's a great long-term move, but he'd have to be an extremely fast learner to beat out what we already have on the OL, especially if that spot was RT.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think I will wait and see.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a reason that we would not draft an OL in the 1st after re-signing Free, and it's because the 5 we have already have great synergy and it would be nearly impossible for a rookie to break into that group in his 1st season. With that said, Collins' talent will win out eventually, likely by his 2nd year, I just doubt he's refined enough to walk right in and beat out Leary or Free as a rookie.

We went after Collins because he was free money, and it's a great long-term move, but he'd have to be an extremely fast learner to beat out what we already have on the OL, especially if that spot was RT.
I agree. Basically has nothing to do with Collins. I think he can step in right away and be a stud on the O-line. It has more to do with the fact that Leary is a damn good run blocker. I know people like to shit on him sometimes but the fact is he is an extremely powerful and successful run blocker. It's why I have mentioned working Collins at RT some instead.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's really not that simple especially when you factor in that Leary was a projected 3rd round pick without the knee issue.
I think he was making a joke about Collins needing time to develop since he was an undrafted free agent.

dallen

Senior Tech
It's really not that simple especially when you factor in that Leary was a projected 3rd round pick without the knee issue.
UDFA are always projects or they would have ben drafted dummy

Top Bottom