2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you make money off investments it's not taxed as income. You seem to think that people pay income tax and capital gains both. They just pay the capital gains and that's a lower percentage than the top income tax rates. Sure, money from selling stocks or from dividends aren't the only kinds of investments, but the lower tax on those encourages the hell out of that kind of investment. That's why Warren Buffet pointed out that the people who work for him usually pay a higher tax rate than he does.
It is taxed as income, it just has a different tax rate for that type of income. And people whose income falls in a higher income bracket also pay a higher tax rate on capital gains then people in a lower income tax bracket. The point is the higher the tax rate gets the less jobs you're going to have.

What you're talking about is a great argument for a flat tax though. It just has nothing to do with my discussion on tax rates and the impact that they have on an economy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It is taxed as income, it just has a different tax rate for that type of income. And people whose income falls in a higher income bracket also pay a higher tax rate on capital gains then people in a lower income tax bracket. The point is the higher the tax rate gets the less jobs you're going to have.

What you're talking about is a great argument for a flat tax though. It just has nothing to do with my discussion on tax rates and the impact that they have on an economy.
Yep. It's a pretty simple premise. The more money you take from people for taxes who would otherwise invest in the economy, the less that individual has to invest into a system that produces jobs.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I'm not against a flat tax, because it encourages people to stop hiding their income. I think the government would find a simplified tax code at a flat rate would spike actual revenue, as people would rather pay the tax and have flexibility with the money than hide it in tax shelters if they don't have to pay a nasty top rate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not against a flat tax, because it encourages people to stop hiding their income. I think the government would find a simplified tax code at a flat rate would spike actual revenue, as people would rather pay the tax and have flexibility with the money than hide it in tax shelters if they don't have to pay a nasty top rate.
No kidding, not to mention the amount of money the government spends to try and enforce the tax code as it is written.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The IRS itself is a huge source of inefficiency in government.
Well to be fair pretty much anything government run is extremely inefficient. It's part of the reason why having a big government is so bad for an economy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well to be fair pretty much anything government run is extremely inefficient. It's part of the reason why having a big government is so bad for an economy.
The unions are so entrenched in the governmental agencies now that trying to make it a reasonably productive system is next to impossible. After a career in banking I joined one of the agencies of the government that was actually self funded rather than appropriated. It was better toward productivy than most but it still had some issues. However, they were very efficent regarding staffing. They leaned toward austere permanent employees with a working staff of contract employees. It was easier to hold the line on them because of the annual contract renewal process.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Even if you only judge on a curve based on other governments, our tax code is unforgivably byzantine and administered by an out of control agency.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Trump Calls A Nun The C-Word, Throws Cue Ball At A Baby, Goes Up 5 Points In Polls

Trump Calls A Nun The C-Word, Throws Cue Ball At A Baby, Goes Up 5 Points In Polls

After insulting all Mexican immigrants as “rapists” and claiming POWs aren’t heroes because “they got captured” and seeing his poll numbers go up, Donald Trump put his sometimes-abrasive campaign into fifth gear Monday morning.

While speaking at an event in midtown Manhattan for the Iowa primary he called a nun, Sister Anne Discordia, a “no good c—” and then threw a cue ball, which for some reason he had in his pocket, at an infant. The infant suffered bruises but is in good condition. Sister Dacordia called the incident “traumatizing” but, because it was Donald Trump, “in no way surprising.”

People booed and hissed Trump after the incidents but at one point someone yelled, “Hey, he’s no-nonsense and isn’t playing by the rules.” The booing then slowly turned to applause and Trump’s poll numbers are now higher than ever.

An anonymous source inside the Trump campaign says this is just the beginning.

“We’re planning for Trump to go to a hospice and tell everyone to ‘pick up the pace and die already!’ Then we’ll take Trump to a little league baseball game where he will get drunk and make a buzzer sound after every child swings and misses.

"We’re also excited about Mr. Trump’s upcoming appearance at a homeless shelter where Trump will throw $100 bills into a blender and call a lot of people losers and dummies.”

Trump’s new slogan “Lick my Dong America. I’m rich and you’re not” is a reflection of the aggressive tone the New York businessman’s campaign has struck of late.

Some insiders are predicting Ann Coulter could be named Trump’s running mate. “The Trump campaign needs to keep getting more and more disgusting to appeal to the Republican base. And who’s more offensive and disgusting than Ann Coulter?” said Ann Coulter from her undisclosed lair.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So can we all say Donald Trump should be committed? I say yes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So can we all say Donald Trump should be committed? I say yes.
He said he was in the race for up to 9 billion in campaign cost. That prima facie evidence of insanity. Pricey ego.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Carson: 'Black Lives Matter' is political correctness 'going amuck'

Kristina Wong

5 hrs ago

Presidential candidate and former neurosurgeon Ben Carson said Sunday that the "Black Lives Matter" controversy is "political correctness going amuck."

"Of course all lives matter," Carson, an African American, said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Carson on Sunday defended his remarks during a rally last week, when he reportedly said, “Of course all lives matter. I don’t want to get into it, it’s so silly."

Carson said he does not recall calling the "movement" silly.

"What I called silly is political correctness going amuck. That's what's silly," he said.

At the same time, Carson said, "of course we should be very concerned about what's going on, particularly in our inner cities."

"It's a crime, you know, for a young black man, the most likely cause of death is homicide. That is a huge problem that we need to address in a very serious way," he added.

"The vast majority of police are very good people. Are there bad apples? Of course," he continued. "But if you hire a plumber and he does a bad job, do you say all plumbers are bad? Let's go out and kill them? I don't think we do that," he said.

"We need to be a little more mature, but certainly in cases where police are doing things that are inappropriate, I think we ought to investigate those promptly and justice should be swift," he said.

Carson also addressed illegal immigration, calling it "impractical" to round up 11 million illegal immigrants in the country.

He said those who favor that "have no idea what they're talking about and how much that costs and how impractical that is."

Carson has come out in favor of giving them a guest worker permits, so they would have to pay back taxes and taxes going forward.

"It does not give them voting rights, it does not make them a citizen, and if they want citizenship, they get in the back of the line and go through the same process as everybody else, because we cannot neglect the people who have done it the right way," he said.

On whether that was amnesty, Carson said, "They can call it whatever they want to. But we also have to be pragmatic."

Carson also said he thought a lack of political experience is helping him as a candidate, and the fact that Donald Trump is also not a politician is helping him as well.

"It's a tremendous help. It's a tremendous aid because fewer people are talking about my lack of political experience now," he said. "And that's good because, you know, experience can come from a variety of different places."

"And certainly the life that you have led, you know, in my case, you know, solving complex problems, being involved in corporate America, starting a national nonprofit, you get an enormous amount of experience doing these things, particularly in solving problems," he added.

"It's an erroneous thought that only political experience is expedient," he said.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Hopefully Trump is still in it when the wv primary come around so I can help him get the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom