Car thread

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Or at least started so the hard work is out of the way and you can finish it as you please.
You can get a real discount that way, dude might have 4 grand in the drivetrain but the interior is out and he's selling at a loss. Seen that on Craigslist plenty of times.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yepper. If you're wanting to do one those are the ones to find. The ones they either ran out of money or lost interest!

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
SO here are a few pics of my "new" old car. As mentioned before it is a 66 Mustang Fastback. I figure it to be an 18-24 month project. My daughter, whom you can sort of see in one of the pics is going to help me with the work and hopefully learn a bit about cars.
IMG_2748.jpgIMG_2751.jpgIMG_2753.jpgIMG_2754.jpg

Start hopping with me LT!! :towel

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The 2 guys in the 2nd pic are the guy I bought it from (left) and my best friend on the department. He is my Mustang expert and is currently working on the 20th Mustang he has owned. He has a 68 coupe he is turning into a Trans am replica. Pretty cool.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Nice find, looks like a good clean roller to start with.
John, the soon to be former owner, has done a ton of the prep work. Body panels and floors have been replaced and it looks like the work was really well done. The right front fender will still need to be replaced, but all other is complete. he had it media blasted before the work was done so he was able to see all the rust. He said he put a skim coat and primer on it, but I'll block sand it back down quite a bit so I can double check things. My friend in the photo is currently working on his 20th Mustang. He loved this one and wished he had found it first so that tells me it's a good find! :towel

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
John, the soon to be former owner, has done a ton of the prep work. Body panels and floors have been replaced and it looks like the work was really well done. The right front fender will still need to be replaced, but all other is complete. he had it media blasted before the work was done so he was able to see all the rust. He said he put a skim coat and primer on it, but I'll block sand it back down quite a bit so I can double check things. My friend in the photo is currently working on his 20th Mustang. He loved this one and wished he had found it first so that tells me it's a good find! :towel
Yea looks like he did some good work, new trackbar and swaybar too it appears, or at least cleaned really nice.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm sort of undecided if I want to do a stroker 302, or go in big with a IFS and try a newer 5.0. There a ton more work and quite a bit of cost involved in the modern motor swap, but the ones I've seen have sure been sweet running.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm sort of undecided if I want to do a stroker 302, or go in big with a IFS and try a newer 5.0. There a ton more work and quite a bit of cost involved in the modern motor swap, but the ones I've seen have sure been sweet running.
Ask the garage monkeys what they would do. They are local. The ones with the TV show. Fast and Loud.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'll just pop over and talk to them. They are close personal friends of mine! :lol

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
You won't really have any reason to be disappointed with the 302 stroked to 347, you can make all the horses you want and since any custom engine installation is something you'll want to work on yourself you want repairs and maintenance to be easy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
How much power do you want? As long as you'll be happy with 300-350ish I'd stay with a carb setup, if you're looking for 400+ while staying streetable I'd go with a newer swap.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm figuring the car to weigh about 3000-3200 lbs when complete so I was thinking 350-400 HP was appropriate. I was looking at all the 331 stroker and 347 stroker articles I could find. The consensus seems to be the 347 will make more hp, but that the 331 puts less stress on the block. Plus the 331 makes it's hp in the higher rpms and if I do anything track wise with this car it will be the local road courses, not drag strips. So I was leaning toward upgrading the standard front end with newer high end components, doing the "Shelby drop" on the upper control arms and then adding coil overs to go with the 331.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Already past that point LT, I think I have the right people around to be able to make this happen. I can do the interior, the engine and paint is what I'm concerned with. Really its more of a, which end do I start from? I would love to get it up and running, but I'm afraid if I do that first I will never finish it. But on the other hand if I start with the cosmetic stuff it could be several years before this thing touches the road. Its a terrible conundrum to be in, I wish it on nobody else.
Swapping out a 305 for the 350 is easy.

But do yourself a favor...find a GM crate motor ready to go. Swap over your TPI...you will need to go with the bigger injectors for the 350. Again, go with GM.

You'll need the computer from a similar Iroc WITH a 350 motor. I think there are some places that will reflash the stock computer, but its been awhile since I monkeyed with the IROCS.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
How much power do you want? As long as you'll be happy with 300-350ish I'd stay with a carb setup, if you're looking for 400+ while staying streetable I'd go with a newer swap.
Fuel Injection is where it is these days. No reason to go with a carb setup any more unless you just like the old school look. The aftermarket is huge on the Stangs/Camaros, and finding a computer to swap into your build is easy. If you are going to go with streetable HP (below 500) the stock computer off a late model is fine.

I helped a guy build a 1970 Camaro with a GM stroker LT1 that pushed around 475 hp. We used the computer out of a 1994 Z28 donor car, and she fired up on the first turn of the key.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Fuel Injection is where it is these days. No reason to go with a carb setup any more unless you just like the old school look. The aftermarket is huge on the Stangs/Camaros, and finding a computer to swap into your build is easy. If you are going to go with streetable HP (below 500) the stock computer off a late model is fine.

I helped a guy build a 1970 Camaro with a GM stroker LT1 that pushed around 475 hp. We used the computer out of a 1994 Z28 donor car, and she fired up on the first turn of the key.
Why not go a few years newer to OBD2 and be able to get a tune specifically written for your build delivered by email? Cost? And yea there are some shops that will put a hipo flash on a stock OBD1 but they're getting harder to find.

Top Bottom