Most dominant athletes of the last 25 years

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Michael Schumacher
Tiger Woods
Roger Federer
Michael Jordan
Michael Phelps
I can agree with your bottom 4, or at the very least see a strong argument for them, but there is NO WAY I'm putting a race car driver in a listing of top athletes. Tops at what he did? Sure. Does the guy have to be in good shape? Sure. Have good hand/eye coordination? Sure. But to list him alongside somebody like Jordan, Federer and Phelps is a joke. I struggle putting Woods in the top group of athletes, but at least what he does actually takes athletic ability. Not so much to be able to turn a steering wheel while shifting and alternately pressing on gas, clutch, and brake pedals while sitting on your ass.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I watched every game he played, you are acting like he played with scrubs and was carrying those teams.

He had top talent across the board.

What did he do that Winston did not do over the last 2 years with arguably less talent.
Typical jiggy response. Can you please tell the class how I am "acting" that way (whatever that means) when I didn't even mention anything that you said?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I can agree with your bottom 4, or at the very least see a strong argument for them, but there is NO WAY I'm putting a race car driver in a listing of top athletes. Tops at what he did? Sure. Does the guy have to be in good shape? Sure. Have good hand/eye coordination? Sure. But to list him alongside somebody like Jordan, Federer and Phelps is a joke. I struggle putting Woods in the top group of athletes, but at least what he does actually takes athletic ability. Not so much to be able to turn a steering wheel while shifting and alternately pressing on gas, clutch, and brake pedals while sitting on your ass.
Well can we talk you into going for Jeff Gordon or Jimmy Johnson? :art

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yep. Newton and Young are similar in some aspects but I think Newton had a better grasp of the game than Young and was a more rounded as a QB.
Newton was an absolute monster. That team came out of nowhere and made it happen with talent, coaching and some magic which is required of all championship teams.

The UT/USC game was one of the best games in the modern era as far as college football goes. VY accounted for 460 or so of the teams yards. It was his second masterful performance in the Rose Bowl.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Typical jiggy response. Can you please tell the class how I am "acting" that way (whatever that means) when I didn't even mention anything that you said?
I am not trying to put words in your mouth but your argument seems to be that he did something those others guys did not.

If he Winston and McCoy had about the same amount of yards and wins what separates him?

Maybe that's not what you meant, my bad.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I am not trying to put words in your mouth but your argument seems to be that he did something those others guys did not.

If he Winston and McCoy had about the same amount of yards and wins what separates him?

Maybe that's not what you meant, my bad.
Because we could bring out the stat sheet of many many players with similar results because of a variety of factors. I've got a list of QBs from TTU with a stat sheet a mile long that don't belong on this list.

I'd say that McCoy and Winston are in the same category (although Winston is more physically gifted). Both highly efficient and clutch at times. Not exactly utterly dominant but very good in their own right.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because we could bring out the stat sheet of many many players with similar results because of a variety of factors. I've got a list of QBs from TTU with a stat sheet a mile long that don't belong on this list.

I'd say that McCoy and Winston are in the same category (although Winston is more physically gifted). Both highly efficient and clutch at times. Not exactly utterly dominant but very good in their own right.
What about wins?

I don't think any TTU QB's fit the same category so that has nothing to with what I stated, I did not use stats alone.

Anyway I don't see where Young did anything more than the guys I mentioned but if you think he was more dominant ok, but I would like to know what you are basing this on.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Winston was a fantastic college QB, but he wasn't as dominant as Vince.

See, the thing some of you are missing is how Vince looked like he was playing a different game than some of his opponents. There he was against USC, a team with NFL talent all over the place and one of the all time great college teams, and he clearly looked like a man amongst boys.

Winston never looked dominating like that over his opponents. As Skid said, it isn't just the stats (which are impressive in their own right), but also the way he seemed to take over a game whenever he felt like it. And sometimes you just need to go off the plain old eye test. Vince just looked the part.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Tough to compare a 3-year career of a college player to the ~10-yr runs of the pro athletes like Jordan, Tiger, et al. Or else you might as well stick Priest Holmes in there.

I don't have any college players on my Mt Rushmore.

Jordan, Barry Sanders, Tom Brady, Larry Allen, Tiger Woods

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What about wins?

I don't think any TTU QB's fit the same category so that has nothing to with what I stated, I did not use stats alone.

Anyway I don't see where Young did anything more than the guys I mentioned but if you think he was more dominant ok, but I would like to know what you are basing this on.
I thought I addressed that already. He was like a boy among men out there. He pretty much did whatever he wanted in the most pressure situations. I put him right up there with Tebow and Tommie Frazier. Both were amazing players

If you go ahead and do some searched online I think you'll find that VY is a consensus top college players ever in the BCS age. It's not just me that thinks this. I know you love your Aggots so your bias must be hard to look past.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I will say it again. Young had one dominant season. That's all there is there ain't no more.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I will say it again. Young had one dominant season. That's all there is there ain't no more.

He was a little slow out of the gate his freshman year but he really got rolling his sophomore year. Once he took momentum and grasped what he was doing he was absolutely magical.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I thought I addressed that already. He was like a boy among men out there. He pretty much did whatever he wanted in the most pressure situations. I put him right up there with Tebow and Tommie Frazier. Both were amazing players

If you go ahead and do some searched online I think you'll find that VY is a consensus top college players ever in the BCS age. It's not just me that thinks this. I know you love your Aggots so your bias must be hard to look past.
Point taken.

:tippytoe

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Christian Laettner deserves consideration as well. His 4 year run at Duke all ended with a Final Four and he was key to both title wins they had. He could very well be the best college player of alltime.

D

Deuce

I think Christian Laettner deserves consideration as well. His 4 year run at Duke all ended with a Final Four and he was key to both title wins they had. He could very well be the best college player of alltime.
That's a good call.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Best in 25 years, for sure. Most dominant all time I still pick Pistol Pete.

Top Bottom