Broaddus: Holloman Is The Best Bet Of Options At MLB

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Broaddus: Holloman Is The Best Bet Of Options At MLB
Posted 3 hours ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas -- With the loss of Sean Lee there will be a couple of different ways I feel like the Cowboys will play this. The best option, in my opinion, is playing DeVonte Holloman at the middle linebacker spot.

Holloman might not have the quickness of Lee, but he does play with power at the point and has a keen nose for the ball. There were also snaps where he was right where he needed to be when it came to pass coverage. It wasn’t always perfect, but he did show some awareness. What Holloman was able to gain from last season was experience and that is really what he was lacking. Knowing it is his job, he has an even better chance to build off that experience.

Another option if you want to keep Holloman on the outside is to use rookie Anthony Hitchens. I was told in Wednesday’s OTA practice that he took several reps with the first defense to test where he was at mentally and was no worse for wear. There were good fits in the run game, playing with his hands and putting himself in position to make the tackle.

What you get from Hitchens is the physical side of the game more than the athlete. Where he is going to have to make the most improvement in his game will be in the coverage aspect of the position. In this scheme, if you struggle to know where you fit in your zone drops, there are going to be issues.

The majority of this will come from feeling comfortable with the position but also having the confidence that you are not making a mistake. Look for him to continue to get more and more work with the first group in the coming weeks.

If you believe in Will McClay and this pro personnel department, an option in my eyes is allow these scouts to find you a linebacker that might not be a starter but can develop into one down the road. The way you get these types of players is usually worked through a trade. As all these teams going through minicamps and OTAs, they are looking at their players thinking that they might be short at one or two positions.

This is where McClay has to try and convince Jerry and Stephen Jones that moving a player from a position of strength, say running back or offensive line, could land them quality linebacker in return. This scouting staff has a great understanding of these rosters around the league and without any problem can identify a player or two that might be a fit.

The last option, and the one that I would like to avoid, is adding a veteran player that either has age or an injury history. Bill Parcells use to call these players “Hold the Fort” guys. I understand how everyone wants this front office to go out and sign a name guy, but when you have options with young players like DeVonte Holloman and Anthony Hitchens or the resources to potentially bring another young guy in through trade, why not exhaust all those possibilities first?

There is no question that the Sean Lee injury will be a big blow to this defense, but front offices don’t look at it that way. Instead, they understand the situation and address it the best way possible and that is with solid options. Plugging a hole just to plug it is not the best way to do your job. This club has options and there is plenty of time to go through every one of them.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
There is no question that the Sean Lee injury will be a big blow to this defense, but front offices don’t look at it that way.
This right here tells you all you need to know about the front office. Their best talent in th defense goes down for the year and it isn't a big blow. Idiots. :budd

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Sean Lee was at all reliable, then yeah his loss would be huge. But if he had to go down then fuck it better now than half way through. I'd rather see Holloman and a 15-16 player rotation up front. This team needs coaching and youth. The best overrated and overpaid stars got us was 8-8.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are like 3 players in our front 7 that are over the age of 30 with the vast majority being 26 or under, so that's something.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There are like 3 players in our front 7 that are over the age of 30 with the vast majority being 26 or under, so that's something.
It's definitely something. If this team establishes the run, they'll have a chance to win every game.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's definitely something. If this team establishes the run, they'll have a chance to win every game.
Agreed, that's why I said I think our OL has the potential to be the kind of special group that can carry an otherwise average to above average team to 10 or 11 wins, like Carolina's DL did last year.

It'd take some luck and alot of health considering that Lee is already down, but if Garrett/Linehan/Romo play it right (about a 3.2% chance of this happening by the way), the OL could carry the team to a surprising amount of wins.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I like Holloman, I think he has a chance to be a productive starter. If he's plugged in there I'm more worried about Carter at WLB than I am about MLB.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Nobody that's been mentioned has extensive experience at MLB to the best of my knowledge so if they're going to try to groom someone for the position this season, they better figure out who it is and either get him as many first team reps as possible or take the top two best perceived fits and let them split reps. Get them ready and the sooner the better.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like Holloman for this year...get him full reps there and hope for the best.

I guess we need to start looking at Ramik Wilson, Denzel Perryman, and Eric Kendricks for next years draft.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
You guys are counting out Will Smith?!

Raaaaaaaaiderrrrrrrrrr!!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
truthfully we weren't going anywhere anyway. it's hard to say that any loss is devastating to a mediocre team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another option if you want to keep Holloman on the outside is to use rookie Anthony Hitchens. I was told in Wednesday’s OTA practice that he took several reps with the first defense to test where he was at mentally and was no worse for wear. There were good fits in the run game, playing with his hands and putting himself in position to make the tackle.

What you get from Hitchens is the physical side of the game more than the athlete. Where he is going to have to make the most improvement in his game will be in the coverage aspect of the position. In this scheme, if you struggle to know where you fit in your zone drops, there are going to be issues.
Already looking like a stud! :towel

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
No one thought the Cowboys OL would be worth one tenth of a shit during the 1991 offseason.

In 1990 they had Landry-projects in Tuinei and Gogan, a castoff in Newton, and an undersized second year player in Stepnoski. They did jack shat the year before and had been as bad as possible in 1989. They couldn't pass-protect or really run block either and the Eagles routinely humiliated them. They finished 1990 in a free fall unable to keep Aikman upright and blocking for Babe friggin Laufenberg thanks to their pathetic inability. If it wasn't for Emmitt Smith, they'd have been a joke.

Then they added John Gesek and one rookie in Big E who became the most dominant lineman in Cowboy history to that point short of Rayfield Wright and driven by Jimmy Johnson and coached by Houck they became the Great Wall of Dallas.

Point was they matured as a team from very humble beginnings and almost no pedigree. That's what we have to hope for the front seven.

I think Marinelli is better than Houck, but can Garrett be the driving force Johnson was. Kind of doubt it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No one thought the Cowboys OL would be worth one tenth of a shit during the 1991 offseason.

In 1990 they had Landry-projects in Tuinei and Gogan, a castoff in Newton, and an undersized second year player in Stepnoski. They did jack shat the year before and had been as bad as possible in 1989. They couldn't pass-protect or really run block either and the Eagles routinely humiliated them. They finished 1990 in a free fall unable to keep Aikman upright and blocking for Babe friggin Laufenberg thanks to their pathetic inability. If it wasn't for Emmitt Smith, they'd have been a joke.

Then they added John Gesek and one rookie in Big E who became the most dominant lineman in Cowboy history to that point short of Rayfield Wright and driven by Jimmy Johnson and coached by Houck they became the Great Wall of Dallas.

Point was they matured as a team from very humble beginnings and almost no pedigree. That's what we have to hope for the front seven.

I think Marinelli is better than Houck, but can Garrett be the driving force Johnson was. Kind of doubt it.
Tony Wise was our OL coach in 91.

Top Bottom