Official Manziel To Dallas? Griffin To Dallas? Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Firing position coaches right now is pointless. Even if they do, nobody worth a shit will be willing to come here and work under what will amount to a lame duck coach, knowing they'll be thrown out the door with him when the time comes.

And yeah, thinking we shouldn't draft a QB because Wilson is still here is stupid. Why draft anyone at all? Our coaches all suck, right?
Yep. Just sitting tight doesn't help. Even if Garrett is terminated at the end of the season, Romo' s replacement needs to be done this year because the door might not be this far open in.the future for a high choice draft pick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep. Just sitting tight doesn't help. Even if Garrett is terminated at the end of the season, Romo' s replacement needs to be done this year because the door might not be this far open in.the future for a high choice draft pick.
Expect whatever guy that takes over will have to basically deconstruct the player and start fresh.

What frustrates me is that this is an opportunity that is presenting itself. It needs to be handled right.

If they are going to continue with the stupid, then what is the point?

Sorry, just watching the Arians Football Life and I got a little carried away.

We can never have anything like that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A year or two under this staff won't ruin a prospect, especially if Romo takes an active role in their development.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Expect whatever guy that takes over will have to basically deconstruct the player and start fresh.

What frustrates me is that this is an opportunity that is presenting itself. It needs to be handled right.

If they are going to continue with the stupid, then what is the point?

Sorry, just watching the Arians Football Life and I got a little carried away.

We can never have anything like that.
What would be accomplished though by passing a chance to get the best candidate? Garrett should at least be able to teach a QB even if he can't handle the HC job. He trained under a good system and the position isn't foreign to him. Worst case is he won't do any harm to a QB even if he is gone after next season.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
If Goff can put on 20 pounds and be as effective he would be my preference, but of not give me the sturdy 245 LBS of Lynch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What would be accomplished though by passing a chance to get the best candidate? Garrett should at least be able to teach a QB even if he can't handle the HC job. He trained under a good system and the position isn't foreign to him. Worst case is he won't do any harm to a QB even if he is gone after next season.
Is that so? Explain how and why he has had veterans everywhere he has been? Oh yeah, he can't deal with that, so he prefers aged veterans who already got good coaching from someone else.

He was a crappy QB himself. And unlike any other backup QB who made a career in coaching, he never, ever. Anywhere. Developed anyone.

He didn't pay his dues. He has honestly never had to truly coach and relate to players. He has had a very easy track to head coaching and his inexperience is oh so obvious.

He would be dealing with something he has never dealt with. Same goes for his stooge QB coach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Is that so? Explain how and why he has had veterans everywhere he has been? Oh yeah, he can't deal with that, so he prefers aged veterans who already got good coaching from someone else.

He was a crappy QB himself. And unlike any other backup QB who made a career in coaching, he never, ever. Anywhere. Developed anyone.

He didn't pay his dues. He has honestly never had to truly coach and relate to players. He has had a very easy track to head coaching and his inexperience is oh so obvious.

He would be dealing with something he has never dealt with. Same goes for his stooge QB coach.
All of what you say may be true but he has been around the game all his life so he can't screw everything up. I am not promoting or advocating he hang around. My interest is in not passing a chance to make the best out of the draft opportunity Dallas has this time around. It may not happen again soon. If Garrett screws the pooch again and is sent down the road that suits me fine. At least the future QB will be in place.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A year or two under this staff won't ruin a prospect, especially if Romo takes an active role in their development.
So Romo gets to be OC and QB coach? I guess that is a way to offset his salary and put it to work.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Job No. 1 for Browns' New Coach, GM: Give Up on Johnny Manziel as Cleveland QB

Job No. 1 for Browns' New Coach, GM: Give Up on Johnny Manziel as Cleveland QB

By Mike Freeman , NFL National Lead Writer

Browns coach Mike Pettine was fired. So was the team's general manager, Ray Farmer. But this is not news. Browns coaches get fired as often as an American household makes bacon and eggs for breakfast.

There is always massive turnover in Cleveland. Everyone gets canned, all the time, which is very Clevelandy. The Browns have had eight head coaches since 2000. No, a coach and GM getting fired in Cleveland is not news. The real news will come soon.

The real news will be what the new head coach does with Johnny Manziel.

The Browns have many issues, more than almost any team in football, but the crucial issue, the most important of them all, is what they will do with Manziel. Everything revolves around that.

In a quarterback league, the new coach and general manager will have to determine if Manziel can be a viable long-term solution for a franchise that has had one of the worst long-term quarterback situations in league history.

The answer to "Should a new coach keep Manziel?" is: Hell no.

How anyone would ever trust Manziel now is beyond me. And I'm not talking about how a concussed Manziel was allegedly in Las Vegas last week. Though that would be so damn Manziel. You just don't see a whole lot of reports on whether Carson Palmer or Cam Newton or Aaron Rodgers could have, maybe, possibly been in Vegas, or not. (Compounding matters, Peter King reported (via Rachel Nichols), Manziel didn't show up for a concussion-protocol appointment Sunday.)

Pettine and his staff never truly trusted Manziel. They wanted to; believe me on this. They truly, desperately wanted Manziel to work out. As one Browns assistant told me Saturday night: "For us, a successful Manziel meant more job security."

The assistant, who asked not to be identified, said the concern of the staff was that while Manziel did recently prepare harder and play better, there was always "the concern that another report would come out about Johnny or he would do something not smart."

"Frankly," the assistant said, "Johnny scared us."

That is not a way you want your quarterback described unless he's being called that by an opposing coach. Like, hey, that Tom Brady sure is scary, said Rex Ryan.

A smart staff will send Manziel packing.

Pettine basically told reporters some of this last week. Pettine was blunt, probably because he knew he was going to be fired. According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Pettine said:

Here is a guy that has an NFL skill set. He's very talented. If you spend some time with him, he's a likable guy. You root for him. But there are problems there that we'll talk as we're headed to the offseason about getting addressed. We want to make sure that all of our players are in good shape as people first, players second because I don't think you can be as effective as you can be as a player if things aren't right off the field, and he's a good example of that.

I think he's shown on the field that he can [be the quarterback of the future], but we always talk in terms of long-term, sustained success. And that's what you want to strive for, and if things aren't right off the field, that's very difficult to have that level of consistency, especially when you're in a position of leadership.

Offensive coordinator John DeFilippo was just as blunt. When asked how important it was for Manziel to get his off-field life under control, DeFilippo said in the same report:

"It's tremendously important and not only for on the field, I think your teammates need to see you doing the right thing as well. That's part of the position. It's a lifestyle. I've talked about that a bunch. Playing quarterback in this league is a lifestyle. You need to eat, sleep and breathe football. I think we made strides in that department. I don't want to say we're there all the way. But I think we could all agree in this (media) room, I think we have made strides in that department with the young man, and he'll continue to get better."

Pettine and the offensive coordinator made their remarks after video surfaced of Manziel holding what looked to be a can of Four Loko, via Busted Coverage, which contains 12 percent alcohol. This past offseason, Manziel spent 10 weeks at an inpatient rehab center that specializes in treatment for alcohol and drug addiction.

No, this one thing isn't horrible. There are worse looks. It's the totality of what Manziel has done. We won't get into every incident (you know what they are), but what's true is that Manziel consistently lacks professionalism.

Again, look around the league. The best quarterbacks are the most trusted quarterbacks, on the field and off. No one ever wonders if Brady is fully dedicated. Look at the young pass-throwing talent in the sport now like Marcus Mariota in Tennessee, Blake Bortles in Jacksonville and Derek Carr in Oakland. Not only are they more talented than Manziel, but the next video Mariota will be in will be him saying how he was upset about not hitting the gosh darn slant.

None of this is meant to be insensitive to what may be addiction issues. This is, however, a cold, bottom-line business, and the new coach will have to make a cold, bottom-line decision.

There's one last thing about Manziel that the new coach, if he's smart, will also realize. Manziel isn't that good.

If anything, Manziel has to outwork everyone, something he doesn't seem willing to do. By NFL standards, he's not particularly fast, he's not particularly accurate with the football, and he's not particularly good at deciphering defenses. This requires Manziel to be relentless in his preparation, not the opposite.

There have been partying quarterbacks before. Ken Stabler used to study the playbook, he once famously said, by the light of a jukebox. Yet Stabler was incredibly gifted both mentally and physically. He was, easily, one of the most accurate passers in history and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Joe Namath was an all-universe party dude but he was, well, Joe Namath.

Manziel isn't close to those guys. He's not even Ken Dorsey, let alone Ken Stabler.

When the Browns hire their new coach, that coach may be tempted to think what some coaches always do. Where the last staff failed, I can succeed. I'll change him. I'll make him a pro.

That would be a mistake. There's only one thing for the new coach to do.

Say goodbye to Johnny.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There is something to bad organizations ruining players but booze has way overstated its likelihood of happening in this organization. Jerry goes too far to make certain players work at all expenses, I actually think.

I'd say we have more of a likelihood than other organizations of producing underachieving players at certain positions, historically, but I wouldn't worry about fostering a bust at QB. I think Wilson's biggest failure has been his inability to get anything out of lesser talented players but he hasn't been given a ton to work with either. He certainly hasn't ruined Romo, so I think the gnashing of teeth is a bit overblown if we draft an elite QB.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now there is a report that he indeed was in Vegas under an assumed name and wearing a blonde wig, fake mustache, glasses and a hoodie. :lol

Affluenza QB. :lol

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd consider him as long as we also draft a QB in the first and we don't have to trade for him.

Next year QB depth chart -- Romo, Manziel, Rookie

But I doubt Manziel wants to come here to compete with a top 5 pick.
I agree with this, and fuck what he wants.

He can compete. And if he does well, I'd have no problem trading him away if our 1st round QB develops.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If the intention is to keep Wade Wilson, I think trading for Manziel, signing Griffin or drafting a rookie is pointless.

Garrett sucks working with them, so it is not like he can help out. His big QB achievement in his career was making Joey Harrington suck a little less.

If they keep that worthless POS Wilson, then we have our answer that they are not even close to serious about the position.
If there is only one coach who gets the axe, it must be Wilson.

Where the hell is David Lee?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Now there is a report that he indeed was in Vegas under an assumed name and wearing a blonde wig, fake mustache, glasses and a hoodie. :lol

Affluenza QB. :lol
Jon Mexico?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm just gonna point out that Lee has been QB coach of the Bills, then Jets, and then Bills again from 2012 onwards.

Don't think he did much for Geno Smith or the other shitpiles those teams have had at QB either.

Top Bottom