2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

Dantonio is so the man. Stupid question from reporter ends in a "Don't flinch" and walking away with her in mid sentence.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I expected there to be a premium on points in the Cotton Bowl, and so far, that's exactly how it's unfolding.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm guessing it would have never gone down like that at Iowa. Of course Ferentz would have never started a true freshman QB but that's just how he is.
:lol

Of course not.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Oh, the Big 12 committee voted 9-1 to deny Baker Mayfield's appeal.

Poor Baker! The entire Big 12 screwed him over!

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I expected there to be a premium on points in the Cotton Bowl, and so far, that's exactly how it's unfolding.
Guess you spoke too soon.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

Of course not.
I suspect that c-rock was just stirring the pot which is perfectly fine. I'm glad he was off the clock because he shot his wad in court without being prepared. Then he completely smitty-ed and jiggy-ed when he got called to the stand
himself.

- how would you feel if a brat like Mayfield spread untruth about your coach and the media ran with it?

- thats impossible....it would never happen

- why is that?

- cause Iowa

- a QB transferred and the other was injured. The only thing left were two freshman

- that would never happen at Iowa

- how is that?

- cause Ferentz...that's the truth, I'm not a homer like you

- umm ok....

Dude, just answer the question. You got a little brat who walked away from the team and then made some crap up to get his way then the media runs with it. Everytime they put Peter Pan's sweet little face on the TV they talk about how the poor baby got so screwed cause Kliff is a meanie head. Oh Lordy.

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Baker recently went after Gary Patterson as well. Wow, terrible. Patterson DOES have skins on the wall and Baker lied about TCU now to get sympathy.

================================

Gary Patterson responds to Baker Mayfield's comments about TCU not following through with a scholarship offer.

Baker Mayfield may be facing Clemson New Year's Eve in the biggest game of his life, but Gary Patterson and TCU are still top of mind.

During Monday’s Orange Bowl media availability, I asked Oklahoma's walk-on sensation how many coaches have apologized for not offering him a scholarship out of high school.

“None, really.”

"Which school disappointed you most?" I inquired.

"TCU," Mayfield said, without hesitation.

"They told me they were gonna give me a scholarship, and then kinda drug it out," said the Sooner quarterback. Mayfield waived off other schools thinking the Horned Frogs were a lock.

"I truly believed they were gonna offer me because that's what they told me. It disappointed me. They kinda hung me out to dry right before signing day."

TCU head coach Gary Patterson remembers the story a little bit differently.

At practice for the Frogs' Alamo Bowl match-up vs Oregon, Patterson summoned the coach who recruited Mayfield, defensive coordinator Chad Glasgow.

"When did we tell Baker Mayfield he wasn't getting a scholarship?”

"First week of January," responded Glasgow.

National Signing Day in 2013 was February 6th.

"I like Baker Mayfield,” said Patterson. “I think he's a good kid and that's what disappoints me.

"Remember what was going on then,” Patterson continued. “Casey Pachall was in alcohol rehab, we already had Trevone [Boykin], Tyler Matthews was an early commit. When we knew we were getting Casey back, there just wasn't a need. This stuff happens all the time."

Patterson also reflected back on TCU's 2014 upset of Oklahoma, suspecting that Mayfield, who played under Frogs' offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie at Texas Tech the previous season, was stealing TCU's signals for the Sooners.

"Baker's been out for us for a while. If he wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that's fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn't offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker's dad [James]. He's an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father."

Patterson's a coach who doesn't often mince words, but publicly calling out a kid's father is something he says he's never done in 33 years of coaching - and vows never to again.

But the negativity should only further fuel a fire under Mayfield that already burns bright from the naysayers he's extinguished, one by one, en route to Oklahoma's Big 12 title and a shot at the national championship.

And as far as his thoughts on Patterson?

“He doesn’t like me... and I have no comment on that.”

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Question. When Mayfield burned his season of eligibility was he really just burning his "redshirt" year? Or is 2016 his last season to be eligible?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Question. When Mayfield burned his season of eligibility was he really just burning his "redshirt" year? Or is 2016 his last season to be eligible?
True freshman - played at Tech
2nd year - sat out due to NCAA eules
3rd year (2015) - played at OU
4th year - presumably plays for OU
5th year - lost due to transferring with conference.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
True freshman - played at Tech
2nd year - sat out due to NCAA eules
3rd year (2015) - played at OU
4th year - presumably plays for OU
5th year - lost due to transferring with conference.
so he lost two years (2nd and 5th)?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I hate watching USC. Every time I do they call Delvin Simmons' DT name continually. I DT transfers out of Tech and to USC and becomes a star. I just want to cry. Whyyyyyyy me?!!!

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not mad at Mayfield. So he's not at TTU and he threw a tantrum and left like both of A&M's QBs. We have Mahomes and if Mahomes was at OU with the talent they have there he'd be a Heisman finalist. If Mayfield was still in Lubbock with TTU's talent, he'd still be a fragile guy who takes a ton of sacks.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I hate watching USC. Every time I do they call Delvin Simmons' DT name continually. I DT transfers out of Tech and to USC and becomes a star. I just want to cry. Whyyyyyyy me?!!!
Wasn't that in the Tubs era when we would get huge recruiting classes and all of them would transfer?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yes. He could have gone to any other conference and only lost one year. His choice. Oh wait, Kliff did it to him.
I won't throw any shade on KK, he's an embattled coach who is a 3-9 season away from being an offensive coordinator that we'll be sad to have let go, but referencing just the rule, you should have to commit to an athlete to control them. making them PAY YOU 5 figures to play is exploitation. I know Mayfield's bitch parents can afford it but damn that's unfair as fuck.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I won't throw any shade on KK, he's an embattled coach who is a 3-9 season away from being an offensive coordinator that we'll be sad to have let go, but referencing just the rule, you should have to commit to an athlete to control them. making them PAY YOU 5 figures to play is exploitation. I know Mayfield's bitch parents can afford it but damn that's unfair as fuck.
Id love to entertain a discussion on the rules. That's all fair game.

Mayfield could have taken the scholly offers he had but he CHOSE to walk-on at Tech. There was money for him out there. He turned it down to walk-on at a tech. Leach offered and wanted him at WSU and a few others. Then he CHOSE to transfer in conference and throw away a year. He knew the rules.

I'm ok with his choices. His parents can afford it. He's free to do what he wants. The problem is lying and playing the victims role. It's disgusting.

Think about this though, if a stud QB walked-on somewhere that can afford to pay for school does so in order to keep his free agent status he immediately gains an unfair advantage. Lots of kids can't do that. The rule won't work for everyone. That's the reason for the rule. There is supposed to be a even playing group be for all.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Id love to entertain a discussion on the rules. That's all fair game.

Mayfield could have taken the scholly offers he had but he CHOSE to walk-on at Tech. There was money for him out there. He turned it down to walk-on at a tech. Leach offered and wanted him at WSU and a few others. Then he CHOSE to transfer in conference and throw away a year. He knew the rules.

I'm ok with his choices. His parents can afford it. He's free to do what he wants. The problem is lying and playing the victims role. It's disgusting.

Think about this though, if a stud QB walked-on somewhere that can afford to pay for school does so in order to keep his free agent status he immediately gains an unfair advantage. Lots of kids can't do that. The rule won't work for everyone. That's the reason for the rule. There is supposed to be a even playing group be for all.
F that, the rules should have the kids best interests at heart. And that would leave another scholarship open for a kid that really needs it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
F that, the rules should have the kids best interests at heart. And that would leave another scholarship open for a kid that really needs it.
Yeah, just getting away from Mayfield specifically I couldn't agree more. Its kind of a gutless rule by the Big 12 in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom