2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not our fault that you're full of shit. We talk about TTU when there is anything to talk about. We aren't all about beating our chests before every game like we think we'll win them all.
Or because you can't take any shit but you can talk a lot of shit.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Or because you can't take any shit but you can talk a lot of shit.
I've seen plenty of shot talk about our team by our fans on here. I'm pretty sure we are aware of our shortcomings and have stated them. Clay and I had a pretty long back and forth on our shortcomings against Texas not too long ago.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So sensitive. Tech fans pretty much dominate this thread either for their love of Tech or hatred of former tech players. Just odd that there was a sudden silence.
I don't know if sensitivity is the correct term to describe my post. I mean, we've never won anything and are playing pretty much to their level and expectation. You're sort of suggesting that we're here talking trash during the week and then hiding after a loss. Well that is just dumb when everyone expected to get blasted. I mean, we are Cowboy fans. Do you think we don't know how to take a asskicking?

As for Mayfield, the little turd and his daddy put out a some lies and the national media ran with the false narrative which really bothered me. Not one of those lazy turds looked into the story. Not one person from Tech or Lubbock addressed until recently. Now the tide is turning hopefully. Mayfield has now gone on to attack Gary Patterson for not giving him a scholarship. What a poor little victim he is.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Houston sticking with FSU early on.

Lots of people thought this would be a blowout in FSU's favor, so I'm hoping UH can prove them wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As for Mayfield, the little turd and his daddy put out a some lies and the national media ran with the false narrative which really bothered me. Not one of those lazy turds looked into the story. Not one person from Tech or Lubbock addressed until recently. Now the tide is turning hopefully. Mayfield has now gone on to attack Gary Patterson for not giving him a scholarship. What a poor little victim he is.
To be fair this is more the type of shit talking Tech fans on this board do. Not like you guys really brag that you're going to beat anyone. You all just like to laugh at A and M or Baker Mayfield.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
To be fair this is more the type of shit talking Tech fans on this board do. Not like you guys really brag that you're going to beat anyone. You all just like to laugh at A and M or Baker Mayfield.
Well yeah, we are the red headed step child of Texas. College shit talk is pretty much a staple of life here. I know that up in Iowa y'all don't have shit to talk about but this is a way of life for us. You may notice it more here but it is just a part of football. I brought this up before but we have our own lol @ the skins thread here at the dcc. Go on over there and call out the posters there. I don't think I've ever posted in one of those threads.

As for Mayfield, I'm totally pissed at the dude. He's a little fag that lies and plays the victim card and the national media fell for it and give him a platform to continue his lies. NOBODY in Lubbock responded for the last two years with the truth. The has been about the most annoying thing of all. It shows how damn lazy the media is and how they run with a sensational lie without lifting a finger to look into the truth.

Finally Don Williams wrote a correct article that got some traction. At least Herbstreit read the article and immediately apologized and said that he jumped the gun (after weeks of talking shit). Eventually a Dallas paper picked it up and write some truth. This is after the Mayfields lied for 2 years and made it seems like poor little victim Baker had his wonderful heart broken into pieces. It is sort of like the McNabb syndrome. Everyone thought he was wonderful until it was proven that he was a thin skinned little woman.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
BTW, Davis Webb is transferring out of Tech to go get some playing time. He's a class act and I wish him the best. Along with him and about 6 other QBs who have transferred out and started for other programs.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I don't know about Mayfield's backstory but he does come across as a d-bag on the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he's one off the field too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Williams: Mayfield needs to quit playing politics and just play
Posted: December 17, 2015 - 5:39pm | Updated: December 18, 2015 - 12:14am
Back | Next

By Don Williams
Someday when this football thing comes to an end for Baker Mayfield, I picture the Oklahoma quarterback transitioning smoothly into a next career: Lobbyist.

Name another college athlete equally gifted at performing on the football field while politicking off it.

The degree to which Baker continues to sway public support for Baker in his crusade against Texas Tech is truly remarkable.

And plenty of people, grown-ups in high places, are eating it up.

This week, ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas tweeted this: “That OU’s Baker Mayfield will lose a year of eligibility because TTU wouldn’t release him is just wrong. He was a WALK-ON. Release him, TTU!”

To a fan who asked Kirk Herbstreit’s opinion, the popular ESPN college football analyst responded: “I think the NCAA should swoop in and right a wrong. Makes no sense to me.”

Even in West Texas, my cohorts at AGN Media in Amarillo tweeted this: “It’s simple. No scholarship, then schools should have no say.”

All those Twitter posts are based on dubious premises, ones Mayfield and his father James are happy to let go unquestioned.

All were in response to Tuesday after Baker decided it was time for Baker’s grievances to be run up the flagpole again. Hey, a few days had passed since the slight of not getting invited to New York for the Heisman proceedings.

A man needs his headlines.

But bear with me a moment as we recap the whole shebang again: Mayfield left Tech in December 2013, disgruntled at not being quarterback by acclamation after his his zero-TD passes, two-picks, four-sack game in a loss to Kansas State and his zero-TD, seven-sack performance at Texas — two of his last three showings in a Red Raiders uniform.

Kliff Kingsbury didn’t sign off on Mayfield transferring to Oklahoma, which didn’t stop Mayfield from joining the Sooners anyway. Surely, a bright guy from Austin, with an uber-involved father, knew NCAA and Big 12 rules dock a player one season’s eligibility for an intra-conference transfer.

Proceed at your own risk.

Mayfield & Son have been raising a stink and working the court of public opinion ever since.

This fall, his second season to play college football, Mayfield used his junior year of eligibility, giving a dandy performance: The Sooners are 11-1, and Mayfield finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting.

Which brings us to Tuesday, and Mayfield telling a group of reporters “it’s quite ridiculous that they (Tech) didn’t pay for any of my school and they’re able to take a year of my eligibility away.”

Of course, any rational observer knows that’s not true.

Texas Tech didn’t take away a year of Mayfield’s eligibility. Mayfield knowingly threw away a year of eligibility by the path he chose. The transfer rules have been in place for years, a sensible deterrant to every disgruntled player having carte blance to skip from one program to the next each offseason.

Think of the chaos that could cause.

Nor was Texas Tech the only entity who didn’t see it Mayfield’s way.

The Big 12 faculty reps, whose board comprises members from every school, voted against him.

But Mayfield’s sympathy votes have always depended on key components to his story being taken at face value. That’s just one. Here are a couple of others: that he was just any ol’ walk-on and that he wouldn’t have received a scholarship from Tech in a timely fashion.

To his credit, Mayfield established right from the get-go that he’s not just any walk-on, starting the Red Raiders’ season opener as a true freshman and earning Big 12 offensive freshman of the year recognition in 2013.

Kingsbury’s not the only coach, nor even in a minority, who’d say no-dice to a quarterback he’d helped develop transferring to a team against whom he competes every year.

As to Mayfield’s assertion that he wasn’t going to get a scholarship? Kingsbury has dissented more than once, which gets reported less and less, if even at all anymore.

Mayfield & Son have turned Kingsbury’s stance into a gridiron George Wallace: Walk-on now, walk-on tomorrow, walk-on forever.

Kingsbury said Mayfield was going to get his scholarship in the spring of 2014 — two instances being right after he left and again in July 2014.

“His father had been made aware of that,” Kingsbury said. “That wasn’t an issue. That never had anything to do with his decision (to leave Tech) whatsoever.”

Again, you rarely see that reported anymore.

And powerful opinion shapers such as Bilas and Herbstreit just go along. Have either ever bothered to get Kingsbury’s side?

One other thing: If being able to afford college was so essential to the Mayfields, why not take a scholarship out of high school? Surely, a QB with clips from a 16-0 state-championship team in his scrapbook could have gotten tuition, books, room and board somewhere. According to reporting at the time, he passed up scholarship offers from Rice, Florida International and Washington State while hoping for one from TCU.

And the portrayal of Mayfield, the “unrecruited walk-on”?

Here’s a Kingsbury quote: “We went after him hard. When I was at the University of Houston, I recruited him as a sophomore. Coach (Eric) Morris offered him at Washington State. He kind of got left out there at the end, but we knew he was a scholarship-type player, so we’re excited that he’s here, obviously.”

That’s from Aug. 16, 2013, before anyone could see any storm clouds.

A year and a half ago, after Mayfield’s parting with Tech, Kingsbury said, “He had a chance to get scholarships at a lot of schools, and he chose to go to OU. More power to him. That’s what he wanted to do, but he was held to the same rule (regarding transfers) that other players are.”

Each year, dozens of players transferring from their original FBS school to one in a different conference think nothing of sitting a year to comply with the NCAA transfer requirement.

Where’s Jay Bilas to grandstand on their behalf?

Picking another team, choosing another conference, that’s how most dissatisfied players do it — everyone but No. 6 for the Sooners.

But if we’ve learned anything over the past two years, it’s this: Baker Mayfield is special. Really special. One of a kind.

Just ask him, or give it a week and he’ll tell you again.

don.williams@lubbockonline.com

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Baker Mayfield is talking about everything except the College Football Playoff semifinals
Resize Text Print Article Comments 6

By Matt Bonesteel December 29

(AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield had much to say at Monday’s news conference ahead of Thursday’s College Football Playoff semifinal matchup against Clemson. Very little about seemed to be about the game itself.

Instead, Mayfield brought up just about everyone who he feels slighted him on his way to being named Big 12 offensive player of the year this season.

Enemy No. 1: the TV announcers from last year’s Russell Athletic Bowl, which saw Clemson trounce Oklahoma, 40-6. Mayfield told reporters that he and his teammates don’t watch the game to suss out the Tigers’ tendencies, but rather to listen to the announcers slam the Sooners.

“We listen to the commentating,” he said, via Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman (who provides all the quotes listed here). “It motivates us … how disrespectful it was. They said it was like the scout team versus the varsity, and that it was embarrassing for Coach (Bob) Stoops.”

Enemy No. 2: Lubbock Avalanche-Journal columnist Don Williams, who wrote a recent column alleging that Mayfield and his father are engaging in some revisionist history when it comes to his transfer from Texas Tech, where Mayfield started his college career as a walk-on, to Oklahoma in 2014. The Mayfields say Baker unjustly lost a season of eligibility because Red Raiders Coach Kliff Kingsbury didn’t sign off on his transfer, and a number of high-profile commentators have called upon the NCAA to right this supposed wrong. Williams pointed out that longstanding NCAA and Big 12 rules say that any player who transfers from one school to another in the same conference must give up a year of eligibility, and that the Mayfields knew this to be the case.

“Mayfield knowingly threw away a year of eligibility by the path he chose,” Williams wrote. “The transfer rules have been in place for years, a sensible deterrent to every disgruntled player having carte blanche to skip from one program to the next each offseason.”

But according to Baker Mayfield, Williams is “absolutely ignorant.”

“Some people there [in Lubbock], they’re still hung up on that,” Mayfield continued. “I’ve moved on. Kingsbury has moved on. The players, everybody’s moved on, besides the [Avalanche] Journal people. It’s ridiculous. It’s been over two years now.”

Enemy No. 3: TCU Coach Gary Patterson, who Mayfield says dragged out the recruiting process to the point where he had no choice but to go to Texas Tech as a walk-on.

“They told me they were going to offer me a scholarship and kind of drug it out,” he said. “I told other schools that I wasn’t interested because I thought I was going there. I truly believed they were going to offer me because they told me that. They disappointed (me). They kinda hung me out to dry right before signing day.

“[Patterson] doesn’t like me and I have no comment about that.”

Patterson disputed nearly all of that to Bonnie Bernstein as he prepared for the Horned Frogs’ Alamo Bowl matchup with Oregon, taking a shot at Mayfield’s father in the process:

“I like Baker Mayfield. I think he’s a good kid and that’s what disappoints me.

“If Baker Mayfield wants to blame TCU for 128 BCS schools not offering him a scholarship, that’s fine. But ask Kliff Kingsbury why he didn’t offer him a scholarship at Texas Tech. Ask about Baker’s dad [James]. He’s an arrogant guy who thinks he knows everything. If people knew the whole story, they might not have a great opinion of Baker or his father.”

“Remember what was going on then. Casey Pachall was in alcohol rehab, we already had Trevone [Boykin], Tyler Matthews was an early commit. When we knew we were getting Casey back, there just wasn’t a need. This stuff happens all the time.”

Patterson also told Bernstein that TCU suspected Mayfield was helping Oklahoma steal the Horned Frogs’ signals during their 2014 matchup. Mayfield played for TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Crumbie at Texas Tech in 2013.

“Baker’s been out for us for a while,” Patterson said.

In any case, Mayfield has been exceptional on the field for the Sooners this season, throwing 35 touchdown passes against just five interceptions. And should Oklahoma beat Clemson on Thursday afternoon, expect to hear more about both his big numbers and his sizable mouth.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know about Mayfield's backstory but he does come across as a d-bag on the field. Wouldn't be surprised if he's one off the field too.
One of the worst. If Tech did him so wrong why did he get the chance to walk-on at Tech and START as a true freshman? The he was told he'd have a scholly as soon as spring rolled around. You can give scholarships in the middle of the semester. Duh!

Instead he played the victim role and lied by telling the media that Kliff wasn't going to give him a scholly (lie), that Kliff stole a year from him by not releasing him to OU (lie). That's a Big 12 rule, doucher.

Now he's throwing Patterson under the bus for victimizing him.

Lordy Baker you left Tech and transferred (with no contact with OUa first, huh Bake ~wink) in conference and through away a year. You lost a year. Conference rules, dude. IF Kliff could help you why would he? Only retards help conference foes. Any coach with a brain would never do that.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
But he's a baller. No doubt about that.

Can't wait to see him be crushed.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] I thought Houston was overrated? haha FSU getting beat. wow

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Williams: Mayfield needs to quit playing politics and just play
Posted: December 17, 2015 - 5:39pm | Updated: December 18, 2015 - 12:14am
Back | Next

By Don Williams
Someday when this football thing comes to an end for Baker Mayfield, I picture the Oklahoma quarterback transitioning smoothly into a next career: Lobbyist.

Name another college athlete equally gifted at performing on the football field while politicking off it.

The degree to which Baker continues to sway public support for Baker in his crusade against Texas Tech is truly remarkable.

And plenty of people, grown-ups in high places, are eating it up.

This week, ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas tweeted this: “That OU’s Baker Mayfield will lose a year of eligibility because TTU wouldn’t release him is just wrong. He was a WALK-ON. Release him, TTU!”

To a fan who asked Kirk Herbstreit’s opinion, the popular ESPN college football analyst responded: “I think the NCAA should swoop in and right a wrong. Makes no sense to me.”

Even in West Texas, my cohorts at AGN Media in Amarillo tweeted this: “It’s simple. No scholarship, then schools should have no say.”

All those Twitter posts are based on dubious premises, ones Mayfield and his father James are happy to let go unquestioned.

All were in response to Tuesday after Baker decided it was time for Baker’s grievances to be run up the flagpole again. Hey, a few days had passed since the slight of not getting invited to New York for the Heisman proceedings.

A man needs his headlines.

But bear with me a moment as we recap the whole shebang again: Mayfield left Tech in December 2013, disgruntled at not being quarterback by acclamation after his his zero-TD passes, two-picks, four-sack game in a loss to Kansas State and his zero-TD, seven-sack performance at Texas — two of his last three showings in a Red Raiders uniform.

Kliff Kingsbury didn’t sign off on Mayfield transferring to Oklahoma, which didn’t stop Mayfield from joining the Sooners anyway. Surely, a bright guy from Austin, with an uber-involved father, knew NCAA and Big 12 rules dock a player one season’s eligibility for an intra-conference transfer.

Proceed at your own risk.

Mayfield & Son have been raising a stink and working the court of public opinion ever since.
:lol

I'm sorry, articles like this make me laugh. So the the walk on shouldn't try to keep the extra eligibility? I don't see why a non scholarship player shouldn't complain in his situation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Houston is just kind of one of those teams you want to root for. Kind of nice seeing them with the big win and it looks like they are starting to recruit really well too.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
:lol

I'm sorry, articles like this make me laugh. So the the walk on shouldn't try to keep the extra eligibility? I don't see why a non scholarship player shouldn't complain in his situation.
I just don't get it. Do you not understand that the year lost has nothing to do with Tech? His dad continues to go on record to say that Kliff is a scoundrel and jerk for taking his little baby's year away? The mediua ran with it but it has NOTHING to do with Kliff. It is a conference rule. The national media runs wioth the story and pounds Kliff and Tech over and over when NOBODY in Lubbock defended it. Not the paper, not Kliff and not the school. It is infuriating to hear the talking head keep perpetuating a damn lie. Baker took his own year away.

And clearly you haven't researched why the rules are in place. Out of fairness you cannot walk-on to a one program and then walk-on to another team a year later without consequences. If you do that the haves immediately have an advantage over the have-nots. Could a kid who can't pay tuition do the same thing? Nope. Looks like you didn't think that one through but the conference rules makers did. There is no such thing as free agency in college football.

If Mayfield doesn't like the rules then he needs to blame the rules. I have no idea why anyone would defend him when he knew the rules and then lied to thew media knowingly.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
As far as on the field...I think Bake is a damn badass. The kid is a competitor and nobody can deny that. Walk-on to one school and win the job as a freshman. Then flip the bird to that team and walk-on to another team and do the same. Hats off to the manipulative little bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom