BBQ Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Before I smoked this turkey, we'd only buy one for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

But now a whole new world has opened up and I'm going to buy enough to offset the LT & Iamtdg turkey boycott throughout the year.
Fire away. Literally.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
People who don't like turkey haven't had them prepared properly. If not done right, turkey can be dry and tasteless. I'd suspect that is the main problem.

That, and being gay.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
People who don't like turkey haven't had them prepared properly. If not done right, turkey can be dry and tasteless. I'd suspect that is the main problem.

That, and being gay.
I have had a few smoked turkeys I liked but they were charcoal color on the outside. Most smoked turkeys aren't smoked enough for my tastes. If a turkey is baked it needs to sit for a few hours to get the poultry smell out. Fresh baked or light smoked just don't get rid of the poultry odor.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I have had a few smoked turkeys I liked but they were charcoal color on the outside. Most smoked turkeys aren't smoked enough for my tastes. If a turkey is baked it needs to sit for a few hours to get the poultry smell out. Fresh baked or light smoked just don't get rid of the poultry odor.
turkey should not have a "poultry" smell to it

Next time, don't leave the turkey in the sun for 3-4 days before you bake it.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Since this has turned into a Turkey thread of sorts.

Anybody inject and what is the best you have used?

I used this for thanksgiving and it was the best, most moist Turkey, I have had outside of fried.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
turkey should not have a "poultry" smell to it

Next time, don't leave the turkey in the sun for 3-4 days before you bake it.
Are you saying it should smell like fish? :art

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Since this has turned into a Turkey thread of sorts.

Anybody inject and what is the best you have used?

I used this for thanksgiving and it was the best, most moist Turkey, I have had outside of fried.

I used to buy those, but now U just make my own.

Stick of butter and bunch of herbs and spices.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm kinda hooked on the smoked pork belly now. My grandfather has congestive heart failure and isn't allowed to eat bacon, so he's been pretty miserable.

Smoked a belly for the super bowl and had some left over, so I sliced it up and cooked some as bacon.

Since it's not overly seasoned or cured, the sodium content isn't that great and my grandpa's been able to have bacon again.

Thank you, pork belly!

data

Forbes #1
Need help. Bought a tri tip roast, 2lbs and about an inch thick in the middle. What should I do with this - smoke it 100% indirect heat? Grill it direct heat to sear and then smoke it?

Wet marinade? Dry rub or just salt night before?

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Either smoke it or put it in a slow cooker.

data

Forbes #1
Either smoke it or put it in a slow cooker.
im gonna smoke it 2-3 hours. Some recommend sear first, then smoke. Others don't mention any searing at all. What say you?

to me, the searing sounds ridiculous, but double checking.

Cotton

Staff member
im gonna smoke it 2-3 hours. Some recommend sear first, then smoke. Others don't mention any searing at all. What say you?

to me, the searing sounds ridiculous, but double checking.
You never sear then smoke. You don't get any smoke in the meat. Always smoke then seal the meat.

data

Forbes #1
Props.

I'm gonna go just salting overnight, and rosemary, pepper, garlic/onion pub before smoking. That should be a good first trial.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I smoked 96 burgers, 80 hotdogs, and 50 stuffed jalapenos at our work lunch today.

Just gonna stay in my office and fart a bunch.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
While the smoker was going yesterday, I decided to try smoking some red potatoes and an onion.

Poked a bunch of holes in them and covered in olive oil and mashed them up when done.

Probably the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten.

Cotton

Staff member
While the smoker was going yesterday, I decided to try smoking some red potatoes and an onion.

Poked a bunch of holes in them and covered in olive oil and mashed them up when done.

Probably the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten.
Hmm, I may have to try that. How long and on what temp did you do them?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hmm, I may have to try that. How long and on what temp did you do them?
I don't remember how long they cooked, a few hours at 225. Maybe a 12 pack or so.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't remember how long they cooked, a few hours at 225. Maybe a 12 pack or so.
So, just low and slow. So noted, my BBQ'ing friend.

Top Bottom