Jerry Jones shoulders blame

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry Jones shoulders blame
Updated: February 25, 2014, 8:05 PM ET
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

On the 25th anniversary of buying the Dallas Cowboys, Jerry Jones said one of his biggest regrets is not having won a Super Bowl with Tony Romo as his quarterback, but places the blame on himself.

In a 30-minute Tuesday afternoon interview with KRLD-FM Dallas/Fort Worth, Jones also said there are some highly-priced contracts the team shouldn't have completed and believes the franchise would have won more titles if not for the current financial system in the NFL.

"We should have been knocking on the door and we haven't and I have no excuses, it starts here," Jones said. "But we have not. I know that to the extent that we have a healthy Romo, our best chance to get back to the Super Bowl is a healthy Romo."

The Cowboys have won just one playoff game with Romo as quarterback, 2009, and missed the postseason the last four seasons.

In the last three seasons, the Cowboys had a chance to reach the postseason by winning the NFC East in the regular season finale but lost each time.

Several years ago, Jones said he conferred with several former or current NFL personnel executives who advised from 2007 to 2010, the Cowboys had some of the best talent in the league. During that time, the Cowboys not only had Romo, but Pro Bowl players such as Terrell Owens, Flozell Adams, Jason Witten, Roy Williams, Marion Barber, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin.

Yet, the Cowboys could only manage one playoff win and advanced to the NFC divisional round twice, losing both times. After a first-round bye, the Cowboys were beaten at home by the New York Giants in 2007 and then the Minnesota Vikings in 2009.

Since 1997, the Cowboys have compiled a 136-136 mark.

"Now for us not to having got it done during those years is a mess up," Jones said. "You got to get it when you're high like that. When you're high up on it. You can't miss your bus when you got your quarterback and you got good talent around him and if you miss that bus in the NFL."

Currently, the Cowboys are estimated to be $20 million over the projected $130 million salary cap for the 2014 season. The Cowboys, like most NFL teams, need to get under the cap by March 11. The Cowboys created $17 million in cap space with the restructured contracts of linebacker Sean Lee, cornerback Orlando Scandrick and Romo. The team is also thinking of restructuring Ware's deal. If the Cowboys release Ware, it opens up $7.5 million in cap space.

"All of that boils down to management of a cap, management of certainly having players that deserve to get the money that you got," Jones said. "When I look back on it, we probably paid some people that we probably would have been better off not paying."

lostxn

DCC 4Life
"All of that boils down to management of a cap, management of certainly having players that deserve to get the money that you got," Jones said. "When I look back on it, we probably paid some people that we probably would have been better off not paying."
No fucking shit...

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That's been the trend for 15 years, shithead. And that includes the fucking choke artist QB whom you threw $100M to last year. Dumb ass.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That's been the trend for 15 years, shithead. And that includes the fucking choke artist QB whom you threw $100M to last year. Dumb ass.
But but but Jerry is learning from his mistakes, dadgummit.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Takes blame for what? GTFO with that nonsense.

It doesn't matter if I keep taking the "blame" for my bills not getting paid at home if every month I purposely spend that money on something else.

Verbally accepting fault for something but not doing a damn thing to change or improve the situation is not "taking the blame" like this asshole thinks. All of his fancy speeches and cute sayings about men in the mirror and enjoying the pain doesn't mean shit to me, because at the end of the day, this moron keeps on keepin' on.

In other words, he can take his blame and shove it up his ass.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

It doesn't matter if I keep taking the "blame" for my bills not getting paid at home if every month I purposely spend that money on something else.

Verbally accepting fault for something but not doing a damn thing to change or improve the situation is not "taking the blame" like this asshole thinks. All of his fancy speeches and cute sayings about men in the mirror and enjoying the pain doesn't mean shit to me, because at the end of the day, this moron keeps on keepin' on.

It's nothing but a big show to placate the idiots that still buy tickets.

midswat

... soon
Taking the blame for sometihng means nothing if you're unwilling to change.

Man... sorry I'm a meth head. I take the blame. BTW you got $20 so I can go buy some meth real quick?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

:lol

Wow...I don't think anyone can say it better than this.

Props.

And, BTW...as Cowboys fans we are screwed until Jones kills over. And even then, Goofson isn't exactly inspiring a lot of hope either.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Thats telling.

Most fans are just retards and think Jerry is a good owner and Romo is the devil.

At least thats how I perceive most fans to be, anyway.
That's because there are too many "superfan" types on most message boards. I think most people know teh Jer is a football imbecile.

This girl I ran into from Texas at a college football game told me she used to love the Cowboys, but you know what, fuck Jerry Jones. He's the worst owner is sports.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Its starting to catch on. Just have to reach the socialites to go do something else during game time.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
:lol

Wow...I don't think anyone can say it better than this.

Props.

And, BTW...as Cowboys fans we are screwed until Jones kills over. And even then, Goofson isn't exactly inspiring a lot of hope either.
Our only hope is that Stephen doesn't have his deddy's obsession with proving he's a real football guy. On that glorious day when Jerry finally dies and Stephen doesn't have to follow him around with his lips planted on his ass he may decide he wants to go snort coke full-time or something and turn the football decisions over to a professional.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Its starting to catch on. Just have to reach the socialites to go do something else during game time.
It doesn't matter how many polls are taken or how many articles are written, nothing will change unless the fan base as a whole decides to take a stand.

That will never happen so I just don't let it bother me any more. It's frustrating but it is what it is.

I'm done wasting my energy fussing and cussing about something that will never change. All I can do is do my part which is to stop buying merchandise and game tix and try to make the best out of this crummy situation.

Top Bottom