JJT: Dez Bryant to have MRI for knee injury sustained early in win

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Dez Bryant missed meetings, treatments after fearing worst

11:13 AM CT

Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant avoided having an MRI initially because he was fearful the results would reveal bad news about his right leg injury, coach Jason Garrett said Thursday.

Garrett confirmed Thursday that Bryant missed an MRI, a treatment session and a team meeting. Bryant didn't undergo the MRI until Wednesday.

Dez Bryant's behavior is disappointing since he's a team leader. Jason Garrett's behavior is worse, considering his focus on accountability.
Bryant was diagnosed with a hairline fracture of his tibial plateau in his right leg near the knee, according to a source.

Garrett said Bryant was "completely well intended" in his actions but there are "consequences" he has to pay. Garrett said the situation has been addressed with Bryant and the team is moving on.

"I'm not excusing his behavior. There are repercussions for your actions," Garrett said. "He's a very, very passionate person. He's an emotional person. He didn't handle it the right way."

Players are subject to fines for missing meetings and treatment sessions.

Garrett, who has not ruled Bryant out of Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers, said he doesn't expect Bryant to practice Thursday, but is hopeful he can participate for the first time this week on Friday.

A source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Wednesday that the injury could sideline Bryant for up to three weeks.

Bryant suffered the injury Sunday when his knee and ankle got caught under Bears linebacker Christian Jones during a tackle on the second play of the game.

If Bryant can't play Sunday, Brice Butler, who has 1 catch for 16 yards in 3 games, would move into the starting lineup.

ESPN Staff Writer Todd Archer contributed to this report.

dallen

Senior Tech
Butler can do most of what Bryant can do? :lol

Which Bryant are we talking about here? Antonio? Martavis? Kobe? Bryant Gumble? Certainly not Dez.

Jesus, some of you are really going full retard over this. I couldn't care less that the guy skipped an MRI and team meeting. We know he's a little emotionally stunted, but I don't think there was any malicious intent at all. Probably scared about the MRI results and not wanting to face reality over how much time he might miss, so needed to keep himself holed up for a couple of days.
Dez could be great, but when's the last time he actually showed it on the field? He's always dropping key passes or falling out of bounds or getting hurt. He takes too many damn risks. Dez has been as much a liability as an asset the past 2 years. At least Butler shows up, shuts up, and does his job. I'm not talking physically. I'm talking actual production on the field. If he can do 75% of what Dez can I'd rather have Butler. And that's without even bringing up the off the field nonsense.

dallen

Senior Tech
And if Butler can't be relied on to do that then he needs to be gone too.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
It wasn't some egregious thing Dez did but the fact that he skipped the MRI because "He really thought he was gonna get bad news, so he avoided it" just shows how much of a child he is. That's like not coming home from school on the day report cards arrive in the mail because you're pretty sure your grades are bad and you are going to be in deep shit with your parents (yes, I know this analogy dates me because everything is online now and parents can monitor their child's grades all the time). Ridiculous. At some point you are going to have to face the music, for better or worse. Most adults/professionals understand this and act accordingly. Only someone with the mindset and maturity of a young kid would take the course of action to avoid it because he thinks he isn't going to like the result. For all his talent and passion he often acts like an irresponsible child.

So what? If he's going to do something "childish" I'd rather it be him skipping a team meeting than going on a 3-day coke bender.

Nobody in this organization gets held accountable, from the owner on down. Not for poor scouting, poor coaching or poor on-field play, so let's not try to make an example out of one of our best players just because he's a little immature at times.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dez could be great, but when's the last time he actually showed it on the field? He's always dropping key passes or falling out of bounds or getting hurt. He takes too many damn risks. Dez has been as much a liability as an asset the past 2 years. At least Butler shows up, shuts up, and does his job. I'm not talking physically. I'm talking actual production on the field. If he can do 75% of what Dez can I'd rather have Butler. And that's without even bringing up the off the field nonsense.
Except Butler has not done 75% of what Dez has done just this year even with a broken leg.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Production is more than just stats. He can make a major impact without necessarily showing up in the box score. Let's see how many wide-open looks underneath that Beasley and Witten get Sunday without him on the field.

Butler shows up and does his job? Okay. What is his job? 4th receiver. Bag carrier.

Look, the narrative that he's some unheralded star waiting to be unleashed is cute, but the reality is that he's got 657 receiving yards and 2 TD's in 35 career games, and can seemingly never stay healthy. In his last TWELVE games, Dez has 551 yards and four TD's in what most would agree has been the worst stretch of his career.

So the on-field impact of each guy really isn't even in the same stratosphere and to insinuate we could slide Butler into Bryant's place and not skip a beat is the height of stupidity.

Dez on the field, whether he's getting 10 targets a game of 3 targets a game, changes the entire complexion of this offense and how it's defended.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It wasn't some egregious thing Dez did but the fact that he skipped the MRI because "He really thought he was gonna get bad news, so he avoided it" just shows how much of a child he is. That's like not coming home from school on the day report cards arrive in the mail because you're pretty sure your grades are bad and you are going to be in deep shit with your parents (yes, I know this analogy dates me because everything is online now and parents can monitor their child's grades all the time). Ridiculous. At some point you are going to have to face the music, for better or worse. Most adults/professionals understand this and act accordingly. Only someone with the mindset and maturity of a young kid would take the course of action to avoid it because he thinks he isn't going to like the result. For all his talent and passion he often acts like an irresponsible child.
Yes it is childish and in the grand scheme of things its takes a huge backseat to being willing to play most of a game with a broken leg.

And since when have ballplayers not been childish it's a fact of life and can be found on each and every team.

The 90's teams were full of childish selfish guys yet we revere them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was pretty great in the Redskins game this year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
So what? If he's going to do something "childish" I'd rather it be him skipping a team meeting than going on a 3-day coke bender.

Nobody in this organization gets held accountable, from the owner on down. Not for poor scouting, poor coaching or poor on-field play, so let's not try to make an example out of one of our best players just because he's a little immature at times.
So what is that the guy is a mental midget. If you listen to shows like The Break it is apparent that Dez regularly misses meetings, treatments, etc., and has the maturity level of child. None of that has changed over the years and this is his 7th year with the team. He has had literal babysitters in the past for Christ's sake.

The "Well, at least he's not doing drugs!" argument holds no water with me. Is he supposed to get a blue ribbon for not going on a coke bender? Act like goddamn adult and a professional. That means showing up on time (or at all) and being responsible.

The lack of accountability within the organization is definitely a problem and it starts with Jerry Jones. I'm not saying Dez should be cut. The fine is probably as much as we can expect given the culture around there, but at some point they need to consider benching him for a game or something if this type of behavior continues.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yes it is childish and in the grand scheme of things its takes a huge backseat to being willing to play most of a game with a broken leg.

And since when have ballplayers not been childish it's a fact of life and can be found on each and every team.

The 90's teams were full of childish selfish guys yet we revere them.
They will tolerate his childish bullshit as long as he is still elite. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying he is still elite. Whatever the case, they badly need him right now for their offense to be potent. As soon as that ceases to be the case he will no longer be worth it.

dallen

Senior Tech
You guys trying to make this about Butler are missing the point. Dez is treated like he is elite, but he doesn't produce that way. He has elite potential. Same as Sean Lee. Same as Tony Romo. They may be elite for a play, a game, occasionally even a season. But there is no consistency. My point is very few of the players this team has relied on to be elite can be relied on at all. What's the use of having elite potential?

Who in the last decade+ on this team could actually be relied on to be elite? Witten? Ware? Our current oline? Not many others. Certainly not Butler, but at least he doesn't get paid like he should.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys trying to make this about Butler are missing the point. Dez is treated like he is elite, but he doesn't produce that way. He has elite potential. Same as Sean Lee. Same as Tony Romo. They may be elite for a play, a game, occasionally even a season. But there is no consistency. My point is very few of the players this team has relied on to be elite can be relied on at all. What's the use of having elite potential?
I'd say he was pretty consistent about it up until last season when he broke his foot. 3 straight seasons of 1200+ yards and 12+ TD receptions seems pretty consistent to me. We just need to get him back on the field so that he can bang out another. The guy is only 27 years old, he will be fine.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
So many people losing their shit over something relatively minor.
I don't think anyone is losing their shit. Personally I am just tired of the guy's childishness. It is a pattern and has been happening as long as he has been on the team so when you start stacking one relatively minor incident on top of another you get a pretty tall stack of bullshit. I'm not looking to run the guy off the team, I just think he is a) not very bright...at all and b) very immature/irresponsible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think anyone is losing their shit. Personally I am just tired of the guy's childishness. It is a pattern and has been happening as long as he has been on the team so when you start stacking one relatively minor incident on top of another you get a pretty tall stack of bullshit. I'm not looking to run the guy off the team, I just think he is a) not very bright...at all and b) very immature/irresponsible.
He is acting like a spoiled brat. He is also the reason guys like Beasley is targeted so much and has success. When he has a scripted game plan like last week he is magnificent but when he is left to his own devices to make a difference he will have game production like he did with the Giants. He has to have a structured game plan or he just goes off the deep end. His actions this week are indications of how he reacts when left to deal with pressure situations on his own. That has been his history and will continue to be unless the staff keeps a tight leash on him and uses him within his strengths.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He is acting like a spoiled brat. He is also the reason guys like Beasley is targeted so much and has success. When he has a scripted game plan like last week he is magnificent but when he is left to his own devices to make a difference he will have game production like he did with the Giants. He has to have a structured game plan or he just goes off the deep end. His actions this week are indications of how he reacts when left to deal with pressure situations on his own. That has been his history and will continue to be unless the staff keeps a tight leash on him and uses him within his strengths.
Scripted game plan?

Here we go again.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

If you watch closely, a spring pops out of the back of his neck as he struggles.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

If you watch closely, a spring pops out of the back of his neck as he struggles.
:lol

I imagine this is what was going through his mind after he was asked that question (an most other times):

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So many people losing their shit over something relatively minor.
He's not a rookie. He's a grown ass man with three kids and seven NFL seasons under his belt. The "he's just a temperamental kid" excuse is long gone. You don't fucking act like this when the team is trying to hold it together with a rookie QB and RB. Dez has never been described as a leader, and childish, bullshit behavior like this is why.

Top Bottom