2016 Random NFL Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What the hell is up with the Eagles giving out all this guaranteed money?

Cox is a good player but not great IMO that is game changing player money.

I know Von Miller is happy.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What the hell is up with the Eagles giving out all this guaranteed money?

Cox is a good player but not great IMO that is game changing player money.

I know Von Miller is happy.
IMO Cox is a hair below Wilkerson with Suh well above both and all trailing JJ Watt.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
~spits coffee onto keyboard~

dallen

Senior Tech
That is an insane amount of guaranteed money

dallen

Senior Tech
Eagles have proven they’re serious — about spending money

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 14, 2016, 5:30 AM EDT

With last night’s mega-deal for defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, the Eagles have proven they’re serious about spending money for football players.

Now they just have to prove themselves good at playing football.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, the Eagles have now doled out over $280 million in guaranteed money this offseason, nearly double any other team including the drunken sailors of free agency, the Giants.

By doing so, they’ve doubled down on the core of a team that went 7-9 last year, after going 10-6 the previous two seasons under a coach they couldn’t wait to get away from.

So far this offseason, the Eagles have re-signed quarterback Sam Bradford, defensive end Vinny Curry, safety Malcolm Jenkins, tackle Lane Johnson and tight end Zach Ertz. They also went out and signed free agent guard Brandon Brooks, safety Rodney McLeod, quarterback Chase Daniel, linebacker Nigel Bradham and cornerbacks Ron Brooks and Leodis McKelvin.

Oh, by the way, they unloaded the wagon of future draft picks on the Browns to draft quarterback Carson Wentz with the No. 2 overall pick this year.

As noted by Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com, that gives the Eagles nine players signed through at least the 2020 season — Wentz, Jenkins, McLeod, center Jason Kelce, Brooks, Curry, Ertz, Johnson and Cox.

Obviously, the success or failure of de facto General Manager Howie Roseman’s bold plan will depend on the play of Bradford and Wentz, in the short term and the long term. But the jobs of those two will be made more difficult by the fact the Eagles still lack playmakers on offense, with wide receiver Jordan Matthews developing nicely, but oft-injured Ryan Mathews topping the depth chart at running back.

It’s a big gamble, on a team still has plenty of holes despite all the money they shoveled at their own roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/14/eagles-have-proven-theyre-serious-about-spending-money/

Genghis Khan

Fletcher Cox is great and all, but the eagles gave him 63 million dollars while being thin at WR, CB, Pass Rush, LB and RB.

There's a reason teams that have broken the bank for DTs have generally struggled.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's a reason teams that have broken the bank for DTs have generally struggled.
It's the Albert Haynesworth's with questionably maturity, talent, and work ethic that fail.

Cox is the real deal who might approach Watt's performance level with a real offensive system in place that actually consumes TOP.

Dolphins, Texans, Rams, and Bills' problems are QB-related.

Genghis Khan

It's the Albert Haynesworth's with questionably maturity, talent, and work ethic that fail.

Cox is the real deal who might approach Watt's performance level with a real offensive system in place that actually consumes TOP.

Dolphins, Texans, Rams, and Bills' problems are QB-related.
I don't disagree other than the watt comparison, but I think the real issue is the ability to have enough money to fill in more important positions on the roster.

In the case of the eagles it's compounded by the fact that they have already paid stupid money to average players and they are missing several premium (and most importantly cheap) draft picks to compensate for the financial drain at DT.

As I noted above they still have a lot of holes on that roster.

Of course, if Wentz is a stud that covers for a lot of flaws, but they've put a lot of eggs in that basket. I don't think it's a wise way to build a roster.

I'm surprised they are taking almost no criticism for it, and for that matter there's been almost no criticism for the 280 million in bonuses they shelled out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually more plays per game and more teams passing the ball to keep pace should lead to bigger numbers for a DT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Actually more plays per game and more teams passing the ball to keep pace should lead to bigger numbers for a DT.
True that, assuming your offense scores. But stats don't matter for DT's. They make everyone better, and that's something no stat currently measures.

Cox is also a difference-maker on top of it.

IMO no position on the defensive side carries greater impact than DT, so if you have to overpay one position that's a good choice.

A combination of great talent and drive at the most impactful position made Bob Lilly the best Cowboy defender ever. Going to be hard to ever surpass him.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
87 mill in guarantees on Luck's contract. God damn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
87 mill in guarantees on Luck's contract. God damn.
The guarantees are a bit crazy but honestly for a QB it's not really surprising. What do you expect when you have non QBs getting over 60 mil in guarantees?

BipolarFuk

Demoted

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom