Hairopoulos: Jerry Jones weighs in on mistakes from Cowboys' 4-12 run

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones weighs in on mistakes from Cowboys' 4-12 run and why he's screaming into his pillow

By Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer Contact Kate Hairopoulos on Twitter: @kHairopoulos

ARLINGTON - With training camp approaching at the end of the month in Oxnard, Calif., Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones met with reporters Monday following an official announcement welcoming the Canelo Alvarez-Liam Smith boxing fight in September to AT&T Stadium.

They spilled some tidbits about the Cowboys:

*Running back Lance Dunbar's rehab is going well, according to Stephen Jones.

Dunbar's recovery from a torn anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee in October is progressing faster than anyone expected, though the Cowboys will be cautious in how they bring him back. If his return crowds the running backs room even more (Ezekiel Elliott, Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris), Jerry Jones is just fine with it.

"We've got the quality there to where if it works itself out to where we keep them all," Jones said, "we'll keep them all. And we'll go short on other positions. They're too good. It's too important. ... We want that kind of depth."

*Defensive end Benson Mayowa (knee), running back Darren McFadden (elbow), defensive tackle Maliek Collins (foot) all underwent surgery during May and June and their recovery will be watched closely as training camp begins.

"We could certainly see a few of those guys start off on [Physically unable to perform list]," Stephen Jones said. "We want to be careful with them. This is a long season, and we all remember last year when Darren McFadden missed a majority of the camp in Oxnard and then went on to have a tremendous year. ....It's certainly not the end of the world for some of these guys not to get right out there Day One."

*Jerry Jones on the suspensions of LB Rolando McClain, DE Randy Gregory and DE DeMarcus Lawrence and the impact of them all coming on the defensive side:

"You want to make the best of it and look for the silver lining. The silver lining is that there's going to be some younger guys step up. I think that we can look at that, surely we'll get some consideration from the main decision-maker, the guy up above. And say, 'Look, we don't want to take away any more. We've got enough right there.' If he'll leave those guys out there that weren't out there last year for us, [Tony] Romo and Dez Bryant and get us a good, continued success in our offensive line, then maybe something's compensating for it. There's nobody that's got any empathy or sympathy for us, for me, for my nightly screaming in my pillow."

*Jerry Jones said he made mistakes as last season's 4-12 misery unfolded. He kept holding on, waiting for key players to return from injury or suspension to turn the season around.

"We all probably would not have depended as much on people coming back," Jones said. "That promise of 'Well, we're going to be better. Let's hold it together or get one or two wins.' Just that attitude. I think we all have gotten current on how good that worked."

Jones said that approach affected the Cowboys' decision-making at quarterback -- Tony Romo battled to return from a broken clavicle only to suffer a second break - and possibly other positions.

Receiver Dez Bryant was limited even after he returned from breaking the fifth metatarsal in his right foot in the season opener.

Linebacker Rolando McClain and defensive end Greg Hardy returned from suspensions but the defense didn't transform.

"We learned some things last year," Jones said. "We're gonna line 'em up with what we've got and empty the bucket with the players that are there, and if we get other players back, then fine."

*On what Jerry Jones wants to see in training camp:

"The development of some of those defensive linemen. Some of those second-year guys. And frankly [Maliek] Collins and [Charles] Tapper. We're going to have some young guys step in and play. I think [Cedric] Thornton is going to be there and answer the bell. I think Terrell McClain is going to answer the bell. I feel good about them."

*On Tony Romo and Dez Bryant getting together for informal workouts:

"They're going," Jerry Jones said. "I think they're communicating... I think they're spending some time together."

DLK150

DCC 4Life
At first I thought Mel Kiper wrote this.
:lol When I saw Hairopoulos I thought the same thing, I just figured it was a derogatory nickname for him.

Anyway, this is your basic dead period filler article. I really can't wait for TC to start.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
"You want to make the best of it and look for the silver lining. The silver lining is that there's going to be some younger guys step up. I think that we can look at that, surely we'll get some consideration from the main decision-maker, the guy up above. And say, 'Look, we don't want to take away any more. We've got enough right there.' If he'll leave those guys out there that weren't out there last year for us, [Tony] Romo and Dez Bryant and get us a good, continued success in our offensive line, then maybe something's compensating for it. There's nobody that's got any empathy or sympathy for us, for me, for my nightly screaming in my pillow."

Jesus take the wheel!!!

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah, Jerry. God is going to make sure nobody gets hurt because the knuckleheads you were dumb enough to count on peed dirty again.

What amazingly intelligent leadership this team has.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Mistake is having an incompetent wildcatting oil man be the GM.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Mistake is having an incompetent wildcatting oil man be the GM.
That's what sucks as a Cowboys fan....seeing the same "well, dagnabbitt we learned a lot from last year" bullshit from Jerry and Goofson, but yet it never really transfers over from season to season If its not the defense, its depth. If its not depth, its the promise and dice roll of small school prospects somehow setting the NFL world on fire, and if its not that its an overpaid, underwhelming "superstar" pet that Jones thinks will them over the top. Its the same cycle over and over.

He's just a bad GM, and Stephen is not far behind him.

I hate the Redskins, but they have shown improvement in a very short amount of time because Snyder finally gave in and hired a real football guy to run the team. Sadly that's never going to happen in Dallas.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's what sucks as a Cowboys fan....seeing the same "well, dagnabbitt we learned a lot from last year" bullshit from Jerry and Goofson, but yet it never really transfers over from season to season If its not the defense, its depth. If its not depth, its the promise and dice roll of small school prospects somehow setting the NFL world on fire, and if its not that its an overpaid, underwhelming "superstar" pet that Jones thinks will them over the top. Its the same cycle over and over.

He's just a bad GM, and Stephen is not far behind him.

I hate the Redskins, but they have shown improvement in a very short amount of time because Snyder finally gave in and hired a real football guy to run the team. Sadly that's never going to happen in Dallas.
Exactly. They stumbled onto a good formula in 2014 -- quite possibly for no reason other than trying to protect Tony's back -- and now they're desperately trying to remake that, hoping against hope it's as simple as reliving 2014.

Contrast to the Patriots who change game plans not even yearly, but even from week to week, to best use their personnel. And they're able to make the proper analysis, coach it up, and execute it on Sunday.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Exactly. They stumbled onto a good formula in 2014 -- quite possibly for no reason other than trying to protect Tony's back -- and now they're desperately trying to remake that, hoping against hope it's as simple as reliving 2014.

Contrast to the Patriots who change game plans not even yearly, but even from week to week, to best use their personnel. And they're able to make the proper analysis, coach it up, and execute it on Sunday.
Yep. You'd think as a "GM" Jerry would know that todays NFL is much more about being lucky, adapting and catching lightning in a bottle than it is anything else. Waiting till the seasons over and then lamenting over spilled milk all the while not fixing the deficiencies you talked about 3 seasons ago isn't the way to build a contender.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't know, they seem to always rely very heavily on Brady, pick plays freeing the slot WR, and solid defense. Their main adjustment tends to be whether to run the ball just enough or not at all.

Top Bottom