Brexit

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Planning?

I am talking about real world issues, what happens to all of the people who lost their jobs from this latest energy crash.

You can't have a sustainable flourishing nation that is built upon a volatile thing like oil and gas.

What happens to your job when colleges don't have access to federal funds?

What percentage of you departments budget is federal?

What happens if Mexico decides they want to take Texas back who is paying for a Texas military?

You do know your taxes would be much higher to pay for all of this.
Well considering the citizens would no longer be paying Federal Taxes I'm guessing they could adjust. Hell the majority of the taxes we pay in go to the Federal Government. Texas would actually probably be flush with cash if they took even just a little bit of that.

But as someone who doesn't live in Texas, you can't have States just opting out like that. It would create a horribly volatile country that none of us want. It will never happen.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well considering the citizens would no longer be paying Federal Taxes I'm guessing they could adjust. Hell the majority of the taxes we pay in go to the Federal Government. Texas would actually probably be flush with cash if they took even just a little bit of that.

But as someone who doesn't live in Texas, you can't have States just opting out like that. It would create a horribly volatile country that none of us want. It will never happen.
Flush with cash?

Texas receives more federal aid than it pays in taxes, i'm sorry but your rant against federal taxation just does not add up.

Just a little bit of that, really.:lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
Texas also receives more federal disaster relief than any other state.

See that's the problem with this line of thinking, people only look at what they think is being taken away without looking at the benefits.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flush with cash?

Texas receives more federal aid than it pays in taxes, i'm sorry but your rant against federal taxation just does not add up.
:lol What? So if you add up Social Security, Medicaid, Federal Income Taxes and all other types of taxes paid by the people who live in Texas, you think they are "receiving" more then that in Federal Aid annually? I don't believe you in any way shape or form. Do you have any actual evidence to back that up?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Texas also receives more federal disaster relief than any other state.
Every single year this is true? This was true in one year? You're going with a cumulative lifetime total? You're just making an assumption based on the size of the state?

See the problem with disasters is, they aren't consistent. One year it's Texas, the next it's Florida and the next it's California. Again, disaster relief is a small part of the federal budget, it's safe to assume that can be pulled from the massive amount of savings when people don't have to pay federal taxes of any kind.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I am not for Texas seceding, but I don't see why, after the growing pains of re-organization, it theoretically couldn't be a sustainable nation-state.

It has a fairly diverse economy and a quick Wiki search tells me that its GDP is comparable to Spain's.

townsend

Banned
Did the stewardess serve you guys extra portions while the crowd applauded? It's not that I don't believe you, but could you give me the number to Jane at True Value so she could ratify this story? Thanks.
I genuinely don't give a fuck if you believe me, or die of cancer for that matter.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Planning?

I am talking about real world issues, what happens to all of the people who lost their jobs from this latest energy crash.

You can't have a sustainable flourishing nation that is built upon a volatile thing like oil and gas.

What happens to your job when colleges don't have access to federal funds?

What percentage of you departments budget is federal?

What happens if Mexico decides they want to take Texas back who is paying for a Texas military?

You do know your taxes would be much higher to pay for all of this.
I am talking about real world issues, what happens to all of the people who lost their jobs from this latest energy crash. - Our economy could handle it. I'd wager not many people that worked in the oil field moved out of state to find a job. None that I know, did. And, I know a bunch of them.

What happens to your job when colleges don't have access to federal funds? Only 10% of the funding for colleges in Texas come from the Feds. We would survive. Also, Texas ranks 32nd among the states in how reliant on federal money they are.

What percentage of you departments budget is federal? None.

What happens if Mexico decides they want to take Texas back who is paying for a Texas military? The state would. With the money we would normally be giving the feds in federal income tax. It shifts to a state income tax and allocated at that point.

You do know your taxes would be much higher to pay for all of this. - It would be a wash most likely.

Cotton

Staff member
I genuinely don't give a fuck if you believe me, or die of cancer for that matter.
Alright. Is this really necessary? Dial it the fuck back a bit.

Cotton

Staff member
I am not for Texas seceding, but I don't see why, after the growing pains of re-organization, it theoretically couldn't be a sustainable nation-state.

It has a fairly diverse economy and a quick Wiki search tells me that its GDP is comparable to Spain's.
It absolutely could work. Jiggy is only talking about the oil in our economy. He leaves out the massive part of our GDP that is agriculture and cattle.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol What? So if you add up Social Security, Medicaid, Federal Income Taxes and all other types of taxes paid by the people who live in Texas, you think they are "receiving" more then that in Federal Aid annually? I don't believe you in any way shape or form. Do you have any actual evidence to back that up?
You act like none of that money is being paid backin services.

I actually looked these things up and yes Texas receives more aid than they pay in taxes.

Lauren Skowronski pointed us to the most recent state-by-state analysis of federal tax burdens and spending by the Washington-based Tax Foundation, a business-backed tax policy group. It covers the 25-year period between 1981 and 2005.

According to the analysis, Texans paid about $147 billion in federal taxes in 2005 while the state received $149 billion in federal spending. That year, 33 other states also got, as Maddow put it, more money back than residents paid in.

The paid taxes included employment, estate and trust income taxes, among others. Federal spending in Texas includes funding for retirement and disability, grants (such as for research and construction), wages of federal employees and direct payments for programs such as Medicare.

On an annual basis, however, there were only six years in that time period when Texas residents paid fewer dollars in federal taxes than they got in return, according to the foundation.

And since 2005? For those numbers, Skowronski pointed us to the most recent federal tax data posted by the IRS and federal spending data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

In fiscal 2009, the IRS collected about $163 billion from Texans and the state received about $224 billion, for a net gain of $61 billion. Federal spending in Texas also exceeded tax payments in 2008 by $8 billion. It was the other way around in 2006 and 2007, when tax payments by Texans exceeded federal spending by a total of about $47 billion

Cotton

Staff member

I actually looked these things up and yes Texas receives more aid than they pay in taxes.

I notice you didn't highlight the very next line:

On an annual basis, however, there were only six years in that time period when Texas residents paid fewer dollars in federal taxes than they got in return,

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Um because what you just posted doesn't include all of the money that goes towards the federal government by citizens of Texas?

Additionally our Federal Government is incurring a deficit annually. Something Texas is ultimately going to be just as responsible for.

Ultimately Texas wouldn't be hurt one bit by the loss of Federal aid. If they want to spend more then they take in like the Federal Government does, they would certainly have the option. Of course they could also cut out a lot of the Federal Government's wasteful spending if they would like as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think every state in the United States could benefit a whole lot more from less services and fewer taxes. But regardless of that, I laugh at your assumption that the State of Texas is suckling at the Federal Governments teet, like they couldn't take the money they give the Federal Government and figure out how to spend that money for themselves instead. Hell I'd argue that someone from Texas probably knows how to spend their own money better than someone from Washington.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Every single year this is true? This was true in one year? You're going with a cumulative lifetime total? You're just making an assumption based on the size of the state?

See the problem with disasters is, they aren't consistent. One year it's Texas, the next it's Florida and the next it's California. Again, disaster relief is a small part of the federal budget, it's safe to assume that can be pulled from the massive amount of savings when people don't have to pay federal taxes of any kind.
Texas is consistently at the top it is really not a year to year thing.

Top disaster-prone states
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2011/09/29/6762/fema-funds-run-out-senators-states-most-disasters-oppose-funding-bill
The list of Top 9 states by number of FEMA disaster designations:

Texas, 75
Oklahoma, 45
California, 24
New Mexico, 13
Arizona, 12
Tennessee, 12
New York, 11
Kansas, 10
Nebraska, 10

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think every state in the United States could benefit a whole lot more from less services and fewer taxes. But regardless of that, I laugh at your assumption that the State of Texas is suckling at the Federal Governments teet, like they couldn't take the money they give the Federal Government and figure out how to spend that money for themselves instead. Hell I'd argue that someone from Texas probably knows how to spend their own money better than someone from Washington.
Why are laughing at something I never said?

You are the one who made the laughable assumption that just a little of the taxes they saved could cover everything they get in federal aid.

Texas is not suckling at the teet but they are definitely benefiting from federal aid.

Cotton

Staff member
This is exactly right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Texas is consistently at the top it is really not a year to year thing.

Top disaster-prone states
https://www.publicintegrity.org/2011/09/29/6762/fema-funds-run-out-senators-states-most-disasters-oppose-funding-bill
The list of Top 9 states by number of FEMA disaster designations:

Texas, 75
Oklahoma, 45
California, 24
New Mexico, 13
Arizona, 12
Tennessee, 12
New York, 11
Kansas, 10
Nebraska, 10
So you're determining annual funding by number of disaster designations?

You must have missed this part for that period of time "Although Texas leads the way in declared disasters during this time period, it lags in total dollars received from FEMA with about $20 million.":lol

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Why are laughing at something I never said?

You are the one who made the laughable assumption that just a little of the taxes they saved could cover everything they get in federal aid.

Texas is not suckling at the teet but they are definitely benefiting from federal aid.
No, they are not. In the damn article you posted it says that only 6 times in the last 24 years has Texas gotten back more than it put in. So, 75% of those years we gave more than we got.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I notice you didn't highlight the very next line:

On an annual basis, however, there were only six years in that time period when Texas residents paid fewer dollars in federal taxes than they got in return,
I only highlighted what taxes they were using.:shrug

Top Bottom