MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
#Phillies have acquired RHPs Vincent Velasquez, Mark Appel, Thomas Eshelman and Harold Arauz, as well as LHP Brett Oberholtzer
Wow. 5 pitchers?

Jiggyfly

Banned

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wonder where Daniel Murphy is going to end up...seems to be forgotten.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

So dumb.

dallen

Senior Tech

So dumb.
And apparently one of the justifications is that he has continued to gamble since being banned. Of course, he also continues to assert that he never bet on a games as an active player even though there is physical evidence that he did... Really I don't care if he remains banned from baseball, but if he does the HoF needs to figure out how to make an exception for him.

Cotton

Staff member
And apparently one of the justifications is that he has continued to gamble since being banned. Of course, he also continues to assert that he never bet on a games as an active player even though there is physical evidence that he did... Really I don't care if he remains banned from baseball, but if he does the HoF needs to figure out how to make an exception for him.
And, the HOF won't make an exception, so it's dumb that they won't reinstate him so he can get inducted.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He just had to stop gambling and be a little humble about how things went down. He could have made some concessions, stopped gambling for a period of time, and got out of the public eye for a bit. He just couldn't do it.

As an analyst for Fox this postseason he was worse than Emmitt ever was.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cueto to the Giants for 6 yrs, $130M.
They spent some money on pitching with him and Samardjia...I still have no idea how they score runs. That line up is horrid.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
They spent some money on pitching with him and Samardjia...I still have no idea how they score runs. That line up is horrid.
That is what I thought in 2010. And 2012. And 2014.

I am interested to see if Samardzija rebounds this season. Have to assume his numbers will improve some just by getting out of the Cell and going to a much more pitcher-friendly park. I don't think he is going to be mistaken for an ace ever again but he has the ability to perform as a strong #3 if he can get back to where he was a couple years ago. A MadBum, Cueto, Samardzija top of the rotation has a chance to be outstanding.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is what I thought in 2010. And 2012. And 2014.

I am interested to see if Samardzija rebounds this season. Have to assume his numbers will improve some just by getting out of the Cell and going to a much more pitcher-friendly park. I don't think he is going to be mistaken for an ace ever again but he has the ability to perform as a strong #3 if he can get back to where he was a couple years ago. A MadBum, Cueto, Samardzija top of the rotation has a chance to be outstanding.
Well, having a manager like Bochy puts you ahead of most teams. I think he is the best manager in baseball right now.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Well, having a manager like Bochy puts you ahead of most teams. I think he is the best manager in baseball right now.
Can't argue with that. 3 World Series titles in the past 5 years speaks very, very loudly.

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think there could be some very interesting late signings.

Upton, Gordon, Cespedes, Desmond, Fowler, Kendrick, Murphy...a couple of those guys are going to feel the squeeze and might be had for cheaper than you would think.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I think there could be some very interesting late signings.

Upton, Gordon, Cespedes, Desmond, Fowler, Kendrick, Murphy...a couple of those guys are going to feel the squeeze and might be had for cheaper than you would think.
I am really surprised that something hasn't happened with Upton yet. His name has barely even surfaced in the rumor mill. I have read something suggesting that if the Orioles eventually move on from the idea that they may be able to resign Chris Davis they will turn their attention to Upton. Pretty sure he is still going to get paid. Cespedes too. There are still several teams that are sitting on a lot of money that they have yet to spend this offseason.

Gordon is basically an older Heyward. Pretty much the same player. I think it is only a matter of time until he is a Cardinal.

Heard some teams are interested in Desmond at positions other than SS (ie, outfield). He is one of the toughest free agents to predict, IMO. Fowler will end up with a solid 3-4 year deal somewhere. Maybe the Mets. Kendrick and Murphy are good vets but may be disappointed in the deals they end up with. Murphy is just such a limited player because he isn't really good anywhere in the field and, outside of that ridiculous postseason surge, doesn't hit for a lot of power. He and Kendrick are bascially the same guy except that Kendrick isn't as limited in the field.

There really are a lot of good players still sitting out there though. Some good players rumored to be available in trade as well. That is why I have cautioned Cubs fans against assuming the Cardinals and Pirates are now going to be battling it out for second place in the division. Those are both still good, talented teams. The Cardinals really do need to make some moves to improve, but they have the money to do it and there are still players out there that can make them better.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Mets To Re-Sign Fat Bart

By Zach Links | December 16, 2015 at 3:06pm CST

The Mets and Bartolo Colon have reached agreement on a one-year, $7.25MM deal, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Sources tell Rosenthal that Colon had better offers from other teams, but he wanted to remain with the Mets. Colon’s affinity for the Mets’ fans, his teammates, and the organization led him to re-up in Queens.

All in all, there’s plenty of reason to believe that the 42-year-old can continue functioning as a useful MLB pitcher. Colon signed a two-year, $20MM deal to join the Mets after putting up two stellar seasons with the A’s. He hasn’t quite matched the results he had in Oakland, but has contributed a remarkable 397 innings of 4.13 ERA pitching with 6.5 K/9 and a sterling 1.2 BB/9.

Now, it remains to be seen how Colon will factor into the Mets’ plans for the 2016 season. Colon probably wouldn’t hold down a rotation spot all season in Queens barring an injury to one of the Mets’ excellent young starters, he could be a valuable stopgap early in the year as Zack Wheeler progresses in his Tommy John rehab.

New York figures to roll out a rotation fronted by Jacob deGrom, Matt Harvey, and Noah Syndergaard and also likely including highly-rated prospect Steven Matz. Still, will Jonathon Niese out of the picture and Wheeler still working his way back, Colon will help to ease uncertainty in the Mets’ rotation. Beyond Colon, the Mets could also turn to players like Rafael Montero and Logan Verrett if they need additional support in the starting five.
----------------------------------------

Why not, I guess. He was still fairly effective last season and their rotation is loaded anyway. No harm in bringing Fat Bart back on a cheap one year deal for insurance. Jesus though...42 years old, the body of a beer league slow-pitch softball player, and pretty much only throws a fastball with below average velocity. Hard to see how he can keep getting it done.

Top Bottom