Browns Stuff...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yes, game is in Cleveland. Home field is worth about three points, so Vegas thinks we'd be a 10 point favorite on a neutral field, or a 13 point favorite at home. Feels about right, you rarely see an away team favored by double-digits.
Home field aside, we were favored by about 4 against Philly but 7 against Cleveland?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
#1 ranked rushing offense vs the #31 rushing defense.

I'm going to be disappointed if we don't rush for at least 175 on the Browns.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Exposed what areas? As of now I think you have to chalk up Sunday night's struggles as an anomaly. Sure there were issues that need to be cleaned up but that goes for every team in the NFL. Rarely if ever do you seen an NFL team click each and every week of a 16 game schedule.

Normally even the teams that are considered elite have 2-4 games where they are off their game and look a bit ragged.

So until I see consecutive weeks of struggles, I'm not worried. Dak and the offense has looked progressively better from weeks 1-6. So as an objective person I look at Sunday as an anomaly compared to the rest of the season.
not to mention, the Eagles have a damn good defense. That was a big part of our problem.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Scouting the Browns: Why the Cowboys can't laugh off Josh McCown and winless Cleveland

By Rick Gosselin , Staff Columnist

The Cleveland Browns have played six quarterbacks this season.

The Cowboys are facing the wrong one Sunday.

If the 0-8 Browns have any hope of winning a game this season, it rests with the arm of Josh McCown. He's an NFL journeyman -- but a journeyman with accomplishments.

The Jacksonville, Texas, native is in his 14th NFL season with his seventh team. He has started 59 games with five of those teams. The most memorable of those starts was a Monday nighter in 2013 against the Cowboys. On an absolutely frigid December night, McCown completed 27 of 36 passes for 348 yards and four touchdowns for the Chicago Bears in a 45-28 rout of the Cowboys.

It wasn't a fluke performance.

In 2015, in his first season with the Browns, the former SMU quarterback completed 36 of 51 passes for 457 yards and two touchdowns against the Baltimore Ravens. In 2014, in his one season with the Buccaneers, he completed 25 of 48 passes for 341 yards and a touchdown against Chicago.

In 2007, in his one season with the Oakland Raiders, he completed 30 of 40 passes for 313 yards and two touchdowns against Detroit. In 2005, in his final season with the Arizona Cardinals, McCown completed 26 of 46 passes for 398 yards and a pair of scores against Carolina.

And last week, after missing six games with a broken collarbone, McCown returned for the Browns and completed 25 of 49 passes for 341 yards and two touchdowns in a 31-28 loss to the New York Jets. It was the 13th 300-yard passing game of his career.

The Cowboys struggled last week against the Eagles, allowing rookie quarterback Carson Wentz to complete 32 passes as Philadelphia controlled the clock for more than 33 minutes in regulation. And McCown has a better set of receivers at his disposal.

Tight end Gary Barnidge went to the Pro Bowl last season on a career year, catching 79 passes for 1,043 yards and nine touchdowns. He ranks fifth among NFL tight ends this season with 33 receptions. Duke Johnson finished fourth among NFL running backs with 61 receptions last season. He ranks second this season with 34 catches.

And converted Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor has been a real find at wide receiver. In his first season as a starting wideout this fall, Pryor ranks 14th in the NFL in receiving with 41 catches for 532 yards and three touchdowns. He had an eight-catch, 144-yard game against Miami and a six-catch, 106-yard game last week against the Jets.

And keep in mind the Cleveland pass catchers have been performing with a complete lack of offensive continuity with six quarterbacks throwing them passes.

The Browns figured rookie Corey Coleman, their first-round pick out of Baylor, would enhance the receiving corps in 2016. In the one game he played with McCown on the second weekend of the season, Coleman caught five passes for 102 yards and two touchdowns against the Ravens.

But Coleman suffered a broken hand in practice the week after the Baltimore game and hasn't played since. He gave the Browns the ability to stretch the field. In the two games he did play in September, he caught passes of 58, 47 and 31 yards. Well, the Richardson Pearce product returns this week against the Cowboys.

And instead, it will be the Cowboys who are short-handed. Injuries in last week's victory over Philadelphia have cost the Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne and safety Barry Church.

But the concern Sunday for the Cowboys isn't necessarily the Browns. It's McCown. He's beaten them once and has the arm to beat them again.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
not to mention, the Eagles have a damn good defense. That was a big part of our problem.
Yeah their defense is fourth in the NFL in terms of points per game.

And in terms of yards per game for those people who think that is important, they rank fifth. And Dallas was well over their averages in both categories on offense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the concern Sunday for the Cowboys isn't necessarily the Browns. It's McCown. He's beaten them once and has the arm to beat them again.
With McCown the Browns have a legit offense. Maybe not great but their offense certainly isn't the worst. Their defense is sort of a joke though. So honestly this is the type of game where we should jump out to a lead with our offense and then sort of pin our ears back on defense to rush the passer.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
With McCown the Browns have a legit offense. Maybe not great but their offense certainly isn't the worst. Their defense is sort of a joke though. So honestly this is the type of game where we should jump out to a lead with our offense and then sort of pin our ears back on defense to rush the passer.
Their defense is god awful, they start a bunch of rookie/2nd year late round/UDFA types. If it wasn't for Haden I could make an argument that it isn't much better than Alabama's defense to be honest.

Cotton

Staff member
Browns not ready to decide which QB to play this week

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 2, 2016, 3:55 PM EDT

The entire city of Cleveland is on the edge of its collective seat. The tension is palpable. The fans can practically taste it.

But no, they’re just going to have to live with the suspense.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Browns coach Hue Jackson said he’s not ready to decide whether to start Josh McCown or Cody Kessler as the Browns put their winless record on the line this week against the Cowboys.

“I think it’s too early to talk about those things,” Jackson said. “Obviously, Josh was the starter last week and we have to make sure Cody is ready to go. He’s out of the concussion protocol, but he has to practice football. I will worry about that as we kind of move through the week. . . .

“I don’t think it matters today. I’m not going to tell you the day I’m making that decision. I don’t know. We’re going to go practice and I am going to let Cody practice and Josh is going to practice, and then we will figure it out from there.”

McCown is back from a broken collarbone, and Kessler was just cleared from the concussion protocol. And while the rookie has shown progress, Jackson said he’s focusing on getting the elusive first win.

“My No. 1 goal is to win football games,” Jackson said. “This is not a popularity contest to me or this or that. I’m trying to win games because that is what my mission is with our players and our coaches: win as many games as we can. I’m not trying to see this or that. We have done that – but at the same time, the No. 1 goal is to try to win.”

The Browns declared the tandem co-starters on their weekly depth chart, which is as good a plan as any.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would almost rather have Kessler than McCown.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Telling you all, this primer is going to be a bitch. They have roster movement all over the place.

hstour

Brand New Member
Probably would help on days that I wake up on the wrong side of the bed.
Which has always led me to wonder, how do you end up under the mattress in your sleep? :confused:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Telling you all, this primer is going to be a bitch. They have roster movement all over the place.

Don't tell us about the labor pain. Just show us the baby.

:art

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys vs. Browns preview: Trends working in Dallas’ favor

BY DAVID HUMPHREY
dchumphrey@star-telegram.com

The Dallas Cowboys (6-1) are working overtime and following a positive trend to make this season successful.

Dallas beat Philadelphia 29-23 last week in overtime to move to 6-1. They play at winless Cleveland (8-0) on Sunday.

It is the third time Dallas has started the season 0-1 and won its next six games. The only other times that scenario played out was in 1982 and 2014 with both teams making the playoffs. The 1982 team lost at Washington in the NFC Championship game. The 2014 team lost at Green Bay in the NFC Divisional playoffs.

Also, for the seventh consecutive game, the Dallas defense did not allow a 100-yard rusher or a 100-yard receiver against the opposing offense. It is also the longest such streak since the team had nine consecutive games in the 2009 season.

The 2009 team also made the playoffs, losing in the NFC Divisional round at Minnesota.

Dak Prescott is the second rookie quarterback in NFL history to start a career by winning six of his first seven starts. The other was Johnny Lujack of the Chicago Bears in 1948.

Rookie Ezekiel Elliott leads the NFL in rushing 799 yards and is third in the league with 949 scrimmage yards.

The Browns are coming off a 31-28 home loss against the New York Jets after leading 20-7 at halftime.

The Browns, who have used six quarterbacks this season, have shown positive flashes on offense. However, their defense is ranked last in the NFL.

Wide receiver Terrelle Pryor is the only player in the NFL with a rushing touchdown, receiving touchdown and five or more pass attempts this season. He had six catches for 101 yards against the Jets. He was moved from quarterback to wide receiver last season.

Running back Isaiah Crowell has 524 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 106 carries.

Here are some other notables:

▪ Since the AFC/NFC merger in 1970, the Cowboys have the most road wins (185) and highest win percentage (.515) in the league. The Cowboys are 3-0 on the road this season.

▪ The Browns lead the all-time series 17-13, but Dallas has won the past three meetings.

▪ The Browns acquired linebacker Jamie Collins this week from New England in a trade for a conditional draft pick.

▪ The Browns are second in the NFL with 33 rushing plays of 10-plus yards and third in the league with a 4.93 rushing average.

▪ Browns rookie linebacker Emmanuel Ogbah has three sacks in the past three weeks. He is tied for third among all rookies in sacks.

▪ Browns linebacker Tank Carder (TCU), defensive back Derrick Kindred (TCU), quarterback Josh McCown (Sam Houston State), wide receiver Corey Coleman (Baylor) and offensive lineman Spencer Drango (Baylor) played football in Texas.

Cotton

Staff member

:tippytoe

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

:tippytoe

Top Bottom