How Tony Romo Became the Cowboys Quarterback

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I dont think we were 32nd in pass attempts in 2014.
Unless I'm reading it wrong according to pro football reference we were 31st in pass attempts. Seattle was last.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless I'm reading it wrong according to pro football reference we were 31st in pass attempts. Seattle was last.
Nope you are looking at it correctly. And oh by the way, Dallas is 29th in passing attempts now this year.

So again, this is a WGAS statistic. Sort of like total passing yards.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually looks like we were 31st in attempts.

16th in passing yards though.

This year we are 23rd.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ravi says we were 16th which sounds more correct.
It's not. In 2014 the only team we had more passing attempts then was the Seattle Seahawks. Our 476 attempts was more then their 454. The league leading Colts that season had 661.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not. In 2014 the only team we had more passing attempts then was the Seattle Seahawks. Our 476 attempts was more then their 454. The league leading Colts that season had 661.
I stand corrected, we were second to last in attempts and 16th in yardage.

So attempts are closely paralleling 2014, and I believe our productivity gap in yardage is because of our inefficiency deep.

I mainly believe the offense is just not untracked.

I felt all night for example we should have been blowing Philly out instead of playing to their level.

We need to shake the chains loose, though it will take time.

We've got the three division games, Vikes, and Steelers left. Of those games only the Steelers concerns me because they stand the best chance of doing to us what we normally do to everyone else.

I know it's not realistic that we'll go 5-0 against them all, but I feel like we could if we had a healthy Romo running on all cylinders.

That's all a warmup for New England, IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I stand corrected, we were second to last in attempts and 16th in yardage.

So attempts are closely paralleling 2014, and I believe our productivity gap in yardage is because of our inefficiency deep.
We average 245 ypg passing this season. In 2014 we averaged 237 passing yards per game. So try again.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Ravid has said some crazy things in this Romo-Prescott debate but I don't think his point is meritless here. At some point to be an elite offense he's gonna have to be able to let the ball rip; you can't be an elite offensive team for an entire season without the threat of a 350 yard 3 TD passing performance to scare teams off the line.

So far Dak has been very efficient and it has been just enough in some games and more than enough in other games; and that includes wins against some very good teams.

But I do think I am waiting for him to show me he has that 300 yard wing it all over the field ability on at least a semi consistent basis. We haven't really needed it yet but is there a long term franchise QB, aside from maybe Russell Wilson, who doesn't have the ability to drop 300 in any given week?

Not saying Dak can't but I haven't seen it yet and I do have some reservations about it.
He was well on his way to exactly that type of game against the bears before the Williams fumble.

And have you bothered to check Wentz's stats so far this season? He only has 4 games that he's passed for over 200 yards.

http://www.nfl.com/player/carsonwentz/2555259/profile

Meanwhile Dak's averaging over 250 a game. And the majority of those games were without our #1 WR.

On top of that Dak's already on pace to pass Aikman's career best in passing yards.. as a rookie. And that doesn't even account for what he adds on the ground as well.

And personally I'll take an Aikman type of career over a Favre's 10 out of 10 times.

We don't need the gawdy type of QB stats with an elite running game. Just rake up the W's and make the plays when they need to be made. Anything on top of that is a huge bonus.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Why would Wentz's stats, or two decade old Aikman stats, mean anything in a Prescott vs Romo debate?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why would Wentz's stats, or two decade old Aikman stats, mean anything in a Prescott vs Romo debate?
Well, all's I'm saying is that Prescott is good, man. I mean, have you seen how well Kyle Schwarber hits with runners in scoring position with two outs and two strikes on even days of the month? Huh? Huh? Well, have you?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We average 245 ypg passing this season. In 2014 we averaged 237 passing yards per game. So try again.
Romo averaged 247.

2014 Romo completed 69.9% of his passes for 8.5 YPA and 7.8% TD percentage. Dak is 65.5 and 4.1.

Romo was a better passer than Dak in every stat tracked, including a higher QBR and much higher passer rating.

hstour

Brand New Member
Romo averaged 247.

2014 Romo completed 69.9% of his passes for 8.5 YPA and 7.8% TD percentage. Dak is 65.5 and 4.1.

including a higher QBR and much higher passer rating.
2014 Romo 81.8 QBR 113.2 PR
2016 Prescott 81.6 QBR 99.6 PR

Not so much on the QBR but correct on the passer rating.

But it's not really a fair comparison. You are comparing a 10 year vet to a rookie. Consider that and I would say the rookie is doing VERY well.

You seem to be saying that Dak doesn't get the ball down the field but as a rookie he is middle of the pack in Air Yards per Attempt:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2014 Romo 81.8 QBR 113.2 PR
2016 Prescott 81.6 QBR 99.6 PR

Not so much on the QBR but correct on the passer rating.

But it's not really a fair comparison. You are comparing a 10 year vet to a rookie. Consider that and I would say the rookie is doing VERY well.

You seem to be saying that Dak doesn't get the ball down the field but as a rookie he is middle of the pack in Air Yards per Attempt:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/
He is also totally ignoring rushing TDs which is a favorite move to try and pump Romo over Dak. But does anyone think there is a difference between Dak running it in and Romo throwing it in?

Anyway, this is just another example of moving the target. Ravi was dead wrong about pass attempts and passing yards so now he is trying to change the topic.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He is also totally ignoring rushing TDs which is a favorite move to try and pump Romo over Dak. But does anyone think there is a difference between Dak running it in and Romo throwing it in?

Anyway, this is just another example of moving the target. Ravi was dead wrong about pass attempts and passing yards so now he is trying to change the topic.
I was wrong about those specific stats but I firmly believe Romo is a better passer which is the whole point.

I like Dak's rushing TD's though I still feel I'd rather have the QB pass them in and the RB run them in. Early in his career Romo made some rushes, and this aspect of his game went away quickly as he became a better passer.

And yes hstour, of course it's unfair comparing the 13 year vet to a rookie, but it's just reality. Similarly while Romo's a better passer, the younger Dak is physically stronger and more durable.

I also believe Dak has a much better team around him in 2016 than Romo had in 2014.

Elliott is killing it, and the OL is playing better after getting some penalties out of their system earlier. Beasley has also become a better receiver while Butler offers another alternative deep.

The combination of receiving threats combined with better protection and better running amounts to a better team.

Top Bottom