Sturm: Decoding Linehan - The Education of Dak Prescott Continues

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are more playcall nitpicking. There is a difference between not the 100% best playcall and a bad playcall.

Same as one one of the series' down by the goal line where Dak underthrew Bryant who was wide open in the corner of the end zone. Yeah, would have been safer to pound away between the tackles but Bryant was open and Dak just missed; can't say when the scheme dials up a play that should have been successful but for the execution that it was a bad playcall.

Yeah it's harder to get off a pass in the face of a rusher but not impossible or even unlikely.
What I'm saying is teams have certain plays they use to "beat a blitz." An extreme blitz is when the defense brings 7 guys (You don't see those too often). When a team brings the house on a blitz, you want one of those plays to beat the blitz. Instead we tried to complete an out 15 yards down field to the opposite hash. Which is a great play call against certain defenses. But when you have 7 guys coming at you, it's a bad play.

I don't think that's nit picking. Proper game planning and prep should have you ready to do things that beat the blitz. Not low percentage plays against that defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He has made that same throw plenty of times in other games under as much pressure.

You act like he has never seen a guy come free all year.

He made a much tougher pass under the same circumstances here.

I really don't know what you are disputing?
You realize on that play they faked the blitz and only ended up bringing 4 right?

Jiggyfly

Banned
You realize on that play they faked the blitz and only ended up bringing 4 right?
He was still pressured and had to move in the pocket more so than he did on the 1st pass, which was what you were pointing out in the 1st place.

There is no dispute it was a tougher pass and he was still pressured and had a guy coming free at him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no dispute it was a tougher pass and he was still pressured and had a guy coming free at him.
During the 7 man blitz he had no room to step up. Probably because there was a 7 man blitz.

On the 4 man rush he was able to climb the pocket. Probably because there was only 4 guys rushing the passer. Which is why he is able to make the throw. It's why you wouldn't want to attempt that pass play against a 7 man blitz.

Jiggyfly

Banned
During the 7 man blitz he had no room to step up. Probably because there was a 7 man blitz.

On the 4 man rush he was able to climb the pocket. Probably because there was only 4 guys rushing the passer. Which is why he is able to make the throw. It's why you wouldn't want to attempt that pass play against a 7 man blitz.
What are you talking about?

All he needed to do was set his feet and throw the ball, It really is that simple.

Anyway I am done IMO the video speaks for itself.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you talking about?

All he needed to do was set his feet and throw the ball, It really is that simple.

Anyway I am done IMO the video speaks for itself.
If he wants to end up in the defenders arms or run into Tyron Smith yes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He had time to set his feet.
And he didn't set his feet because he had a defender hitting him from the right side and an OT/DE right in front of him on the left side.

All of which could have been avoided with a pass play actually designed to expose a blitz.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And he didn't set his feet because he had a defender hitting him from the right side and an OT/DE right in front of him on the left side.

All of which could have been avoided with a pass play actually designed to expose a blitz.
He did not have anyone hitting him when he threw the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He did not have anyone hitting him when he threw the ball.
No but he had a guy right on his ass which is why we was drifting left basically the entire time, preventing him from setting his feet the way you would like. If he doesn't drift left like that, he gets hit as the ball is coming out. Hell the guy was unblocked so he was on top of Dak about as quick as you can be.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No but he had a guy right on his ass which is why we was drifting left basically the entire time, preventing him from setting his feet the way you would like. If he doesn't drift left like that, he gets hit as the ball is coming out. Hell the guy was unblocked so he was on top of Dak about as quick as you can be.
I don't agree. He could have easily turned and gotten parallel to the line to set his feet and throw. He has demonstrated he can many times. He has to get back to that.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Perfect example of Dak throwing off his back foot and it affecting his accuracy. Gotta get that cleaned up.
I agree with you 100%. There are certainly things that he needs to work on, but given his dedication and drive I don't doubt that he'll get this cleaned up as he gains experienced. I'm really interested to see just how much he'll grow after a full off-season heading into his 2nd year without having to worry about all the restrictions for rookies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The middle of the field is just wide open. Slants are some of the easiest passes to complete against that type of blitz and instead we literally have no one running a hot route. Those are the plays were a quick slant goes 70 yards because no one is in position to make the tackle except the one DB covering your receiver.
this what I cant figure out. Why are all the routes to the outside? There's so much field left open in the middle, waiting to be exploited.

dallen

Senior Tech
I remember when Romo first took over he struggled with the blitz too. Parcells told him, "eventually you will be begging them to blitz." Dak will get there too. Remember his mechanics were one of the big knocks on him coming in. He's done a lot of work to improve there, but it isn't surprising that he would fall back to bad habits under pressure. If there is one elite skill he has shown it is the ability to learn quickly. I don't doubt he will be begging teams to blitz soon.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't doubt he will be begging teams to blitz soon.
5 man blitzes are fairly normal. Occasionally teams send the house with a 6 man blitz but it's pretty rare and risky. The Eagles sent a god damn 7 man blitz. It was like we were playing Madden against an 8 year old running punt block as his defense. If we were prepared for it, that can be an easy TD.

Top Bottom