CB Brandon Carr agrees with Cowboys on pay cut, sources say

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
CB Brandon Carr agrees with Cowboys on pay cut, sources say
Todd Archer

Set to make $9.1 million this season, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr has agreed to a significant pay cut, according to sources.

Carr is in the final year of a five-year, $50 million deal he signed in 2012 as a free agent. He was set to count $13.8 million against the cap in 2016.

Carr's new base salary will be $4.25 million, the sources said. He will receive a $1 million roster bonus on May 1 and can earn up to $250,000 per game in roster bonuses. He can also earn an extra $500,000 in incentives.

The move creates roughly $3.6 million in salary cap space.

Jones: Dallas likely to pick at 4, QB/RB unlikely
Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones says he's inclined to make the pick at No. 4, but selecting a quarterback or running back aren't high priorities.

The move creates salary-cap room for the Cowboys, but it does not eliminate the possibility the team will draft Florida State's Jalen Ramsey with the fourth overall pick in Thursday's draft.

Carr has not had an interception since Thanksgiving 2013, but the Cowboys hold him in high regard. He has not missed a game in his career. He played through a right shoulder injury for most of last season.

With Carr's cut in pay, the Cowboys will have their top three cornerbacks returning.

Morris Claiborne signed a one-year deal as a free agent earlier in the offseason that could be worth as much as $3.75 million. Orlando Scandrick is returning from torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments that kept him out all of last season.

The Cowboys have shown heavy interest in Ramsey. They met with him at the scouting combine, put him through a private workout, and hosted him at Valley Ranch for a pre-draft visit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll take it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's very nice, he's a decent CB but the problem has always been that he's way overpaid. Ideally I think you'd only want to pay him about 4-5 a year but if his maximum with incentives is only around 6, I can live with that.

It also makes it more likely that we put Ramsey at safety instead of CB if we draft him so that's something.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's very nice, he's a decent CB but the problem has always been that he's way overpaid. Ideally I think you'd only want to pay him about 4-5 a year but if his maximum with incentives is only around 6, I can live with that.

It also makes it more likely that we put Ramsey at safety instead of CB if we draft him so that's something.
Yeah, not much you can really do about the bonus money. He has already been paid that. All you can do is hope to get the base salary down to what he deserves to be paid on an annual basis. Which starts at 4.25 and will probably go up easily to 5.5-6 mil. It's a little high like you mention but Carr sort of had the leverage at this point.

Top Bottom