JJT: Fear of Tony Romo injury shouldn't make Cowboys reach for quarterback

Jiggyfly

Banned
What makes me a little uneasy about Wentz is that while Goff and Lynch got better each year (more yds, comp%, TD, less Int) you can't say the same for Wentz, partly because he wasn't the straight out starter in the beginning and because of the injury in his last year.
I understand he interviewed off the charts, but he's also older than the other two.
I used to be in the Wentz>>>>>>>Goff>>Lynch camp, but now I'm leaning more to Goff>Wentz>Lynch...
Those are all concerns I have had for awhile and that is how I rank the QB's.

I think Wentz is getting far to many props on potential and upside.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What makes me a little uneasy about Wentz is that while Goff and Lynch got better each year (more yds, comp%, TD, less Int) you can't say the same for Wentz, partly because he wasn't the straight out starter in the beginning and because of the injury in his last year.
I understand he interviewed off the charts, but he's also older than the other two.
I used to be in the Wentz>>>>>>>Goff>>Lynch camp, but now I'm leaning more to Goff>Wentz>Lynch...
I prefer Wentz for the simple reason that physically he is ahead. With Dallas there is the probability he can close the gap on being fine tuned before he has to take on the starting position

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll go even further. My QBs go something like Goff>Wentz>>Lynch>>>>Cook>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Allen, Prescott, Hogan.

I want nothing to do with Hackenberg, Brissett and Driskel. Just garbage QB's in my opinion. Guys who have enough physical tools to make you keep trying to develop them but just flat out suck when they get on a field. Nothing better then 6th round or later fliers in my opinion and barely even that.

*edit* Forgot about Cardale Jones. I have no idea where to put him. Probably in the same group as Hackenberg, Brissett and Driskel. Has the physical tools, although probably more of an unknown than the fools I just mentioned.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I prefer Wentz for the simple reason that physically he is ahead. With Dallas there is the probability he can close the gap on being fine tuned before he has to take on the starting position
As well he should be, being the oldest, but not by a wide margin; Height is not that relevant between 604, 605 and 606, weight I think will even out by the time they are all 25, hand size?? I'm not sure I buy all the hoopla...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wentz>>>Goff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cook>>>>>>Lynch>>>>Hackenberg

The counter to Wentz's competition level is that he played - and played well - in a pro style offense. A lot of the others, including Goff, can't say that.

Hackenberg can actually say that too, by the way, from his freshman year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For someone who played in a pro system before, his footwork and mechanics doing drops look like total and utter garbage. Wentz on the other hand just looks so smooth and comfortable doing that stuff. Goff looks pretty good as well though at those things.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I realize Leary is younger and cheaper than Clady, but the Broncos only got a fifth for Clash.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I realize Leary is younger and cheaper than Clady, but the Broncos only got a fifth for Clash.
That's because Clady has missed the better part of the last two plus years to injury. Missing something like 24 out of your last 38 games will kill your trade value.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leary is worth more as 2016 depth and a 2018 compensatory pick than a bloody 2017 5th round pick.

A lot more.

If Martin or Collins sprains an ankle we're still strong.

And injuries up front are inevitable. Hell, we have a starter-quality backup at a very inexpensive cost. It would take a serious future draft pick to replace that, IMO.

Stay the course, Leary's not for sale unless you hand over a high 3rd round pick. We'll probably get a 4th round pick in 2018 as it stands.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Well, after the Rams trade today, we might as well kiss any shot at a QB goodbye.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Wentz>>>Goff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cook>>>>>>Lynch>>>>Hackenberg

The counter to Wentz's competition level is that he played - and played well - in a pro style offense. A lot of the others, including Goff, can't say that.

I got to say that I still like Goff though even though Wentz is all but gone.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I got to say that I still like Goff though even though Wentz is all but gone.
I like Goff a lot, I think he'll at least be a solid legit starter. Problem is that I don't think the Cowboys like him enough to take him top 5.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am beginning to get the sinking feeling that Jones is seeing what teams are getting for allowing others to move up and it is touching his greed button. As o f today I think Dallas will make a trade down deal with someone so wipe the top 10 picks from your mind. I can see him now looking at 25 or later in the first round.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would welcome a trade down if we don't get a QB. Anything to prevent us from burning a top 5 pick on a worthless CB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Pretty coincidental that we are sending a contingent to work out Goff at Cal like we did with Lynch right after this Rams trade went down. Could be a coincidence, could have been planned before the trade even happened, but it could also mean that we know the Rams are going Wentz and want to really know as much about Goff as possible.

I'll say this, whatever decision we make at 4 won't be for not knowing, they have done very extensive work on each of the top QB's. Obviously they had Wentz at the Senior Bowl and now they have sent large swathes of the front office to personally work out both Goff and Lynch. At this point nothing would surprise me, including trading up to 2 for Goff or taking Lynch at 4.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
If they're trading down I just hope it includes a 1st next year so we have a shot at a QB...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I am beginning to get the sinking feeling that Jones is seeing what teams are getting for allowing others to move up and it is touching his greed button. As o f today I think Dallas will make a trade down deal with someone so wipe the top 10 picks from your mind. I can see him now looking at 25 or later in the first round.
This only happens if someone wants Wentz as badly as the Rams wanted Goff (or vice versa) AND if he falls to pick 4-- and then why wouldn't the Browns have made the trade instead?

Best Dallas can hope for is a small trade. The 49ers is the best bet.

If both QB's are gone, Dallas really has no special trade down play.

Landry

DCC 4Life
This only happens if someone wants Wentz as badly as the Rams wanted Goff (or vice versa) AND if he falls to pick 4-- and then why wouldn't the Browns have made the trade instead?

If Tunsil is still on the board you might get a trading partner.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

But no one will know if both QB s are gone until the draft starts. Chances are that a deal would be made before that since Dallas is number 4 and it seems apparent that the number 1 pick is going after one of the QBs. It's a pretty short time to try to strike up a deal from scratch after the draft starts.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
But no one will know if both QB s are gone until the draft starts. Chances are that a deal would be made before that since Dallas is number 4 and it seems apparent that the number 1 pick is going after one of the QBs. It's a pretty short time to try to strike up a deal from scratch after the draft starts.
They are already talking to each other what it would take to get from a) to b), it can easily be done.

Top Bottom