MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dodgers Acquire Howie Kendrick

By Mark Polishuk [December 11, 2014 at 12:44am CST]

The Dodgers have announced that they’ve acquired second baseman Howie Kendrick from the Angels, for southpaw Andrew Heaney, who was just acquired by the Dodgers from the Marlins earlier today. No money is changing hands in the deal, so the Dodgers will pay all of the $9.5MM Kendrick is owed in 2015.

Kendrick replaces Dee Gordon at second base, as Gordon was part of the package that went to Miami for Heaney as part of this incredible day of transactions for the Dodgers. Kendrick represents both an offensive and defensive upgrade over Gordon, and the 31-year-old hit .293/.347/.397 over 674 PA last season.

Kendrick has been a subject of trade rumors for much of the offseason, with teams such as the Orioles, Yankees and Blue Jays all connected to the veteran second baseman at various times. In the end, however, Kendrick will move down the highway to Los Angeles’ other team. This isn’t the first time that Kendrick has been pursued by the Dodgers, as the two L.A. clubs discussed a trade in the summer of 2013.

Payroll was primarily the reason why the Halos were willing to move Kendrick or David Freese this offseason. Kendrick will earn $9.5MM in the last year of his contract, and getting that salary off the books will give the Angels some flexibility for further moves. The Angels have been aggressively looking for utility infielders, and presumably whomever they acquire will now be in line for some regular playing time alongside Grant Green at second base.

The Angels were said to be targeting young pitching for much of the offseason, and they’ve now landed one of the game’s top prospects in Heaney. The lefty was named both the Marlins’ top prospect and the #30 prospect in the sport by Baseball America in their 2014 preseason rankings. He has a 2.77 ERA, 9.1 K/9, and 3.85 K/BB rate over 259 2/3 minor league innings, and he threw 29 1/3 innings for Miami this season in his first taste of the bigs.

Heaney is 23 years and controllable through the 2020 season, and presumably he’ll get every opportunity to win a job in the Angels’ rotation. Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson and Matt Shoemaker are the only starters guaranteed for jobs on Opening Day, as Garrett Richards may start the season on the DL. Heaney joins Tyler Skaggs, Nick Tropeano, Hector Santiago and Cory Rasmus in battling it out for rotation jobs in Spring Training.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dodgers, Marlins Make Seven-Player Trade

By Mark Polishuk and Charlie Wilmoth [December 11, 2014 at 12:39am CST]

The Dodgers and Marlins have announced a blockbuster deal that sends middle infielder Dee Gordon, veteran right-hander Dan Haren, infielder Miguel Rojas and a player to be named later or cash to Miami in exchange for left-hander Andrew Heaney, second baseman Enrique Hernandez, righty reliever Chris Hatcher and catching prospect Austin Barnes. (Heaney has since been traded to the Angels for Howie Kendrick.)

With the Dodgers reportedly open to dealing Gordon and the Marlins open to trading from their surplus of young arms, the two made sense as trade partners, especially with Miami rather thin in the middle infield. Gordon is an upgrade over the Marlins’ current second base options (Donovan Solano and Derek Dietrich), though Gordon could also return to his original shortstop position and supplant Adeiny Hechavarria, who has been a negative fWAR player over the last two seasons.

Gordon broke out with an All-Star campaign in 2014, hitting .289/.326/.378 over 650 plate appearances while leading the league in both steals (64) and triples (12). He is controlled through the 2018 season, though he’ll start getting expensive this winter as he is arbitration-eligible for the first of four times (as a Super Two player). MLBTR’s Matt Swartz projects Gordon to earn $2.5MM in 2015.

Haren said last month that he could retire if he was pitching anywhere other than with the Dodgers or Angels. The righty exercised his $10MM player option for the 2015 season, so now the question seems to be whether Haren will have a change of heart about playing outside of southern California, or if he’ll indeed hang up his glove and walk away from that $10MM. Haren posted a 4.02 ERA, 7.0 K/9 and a 4.03 K/BB rate over 186 innings last season, so he’d fit the Marlins’ desire for a veteran arm if he did continue to pitch. ESPN’s Buster Olney did hear that a third team could be involved in the trade talks, which could be a precursor to another Marlins trade that could send Haren to a more preferred destination. The Marlins’ Michael Hill says (via the Los Angeles Times’ Bill Shaikin on Twitter) that the Marlins will not receive additional compensation depending on what happens with Haren.

Whether or not Haren retires, the Dodgers will still pay his $10MM salary as part of the trade, Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports (Twitter links). L.A. will also cover the projected $2.5MM that Gordon will earn in arbitration. The Marlins plan to use the money from the Dodgers on a first baseman or a starting pitcher.

Rojas, 25, made his Major League debut in 2014, posting a .464 OPS over 162 PA and mostly playing shortstop. Rojas also received some significant playing time at second and third during his nine-year minor league career, which saw him post a .238/.305/.297 line over 2639 plate appearances in the Dodgers, Reds and Rays farm systems.

From the Dodgers’ perspective, they’ve overhauled their middle infield in a matter of hours between this deal, the Kendrick swap and the seemingly impending Jimmy Rollins trade. Heaney is already gone, but USA Bob Nightengale points out that L.A. could also use some of these youngsters as trade bait to acquire a top starter such as Cole Hamels. It’s also possible that some of these players could be going to the Phils to complete the Rollins deal, as per Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Heaney is the biggest name of the four, the ninth overall pick of the 2012 draft and tabbed as both the Marlins’ top prospect and the #30 prospect in the sport by Baseball America in their 2014 preseason rankings. Heaney has a 2.77 ERA, 9.1 K/9, and 3.85 K/BB rate over 259 2/3 minor league innings, and he threw 29 1/3 innings for Miami this season in his first taste of the bigs.

This is Hernandez’s second trade in less than five months, as he came to the Marlins from the Astros in July as part of the Jarred Cosart deal. Hernandez also made his MLB debut in 2014, posting a .248/.321/.421 slash line and a 110 wRC+ over 134 PA with Houston and Miami. He played mostly as a second baseman in the minors and will join Alex Guerrero, Darwin Barney and Justin Turner in battling for a backup role in Los Angeles. Hernandez also has experience at third, short and all three outfield positions, so he could be a valuable bench piece.

Hatcher enjoyed a breakout season in 2014, posting a 3.38 ERA, 9.6 K/9 and a 5:1 strikeout-to-walk rate over 56 innings last season. He’s a solid addition to a Dodgers bullpen that was looking to upgrade at a low cost, given the large salaries already committed to the likes of Brandon League, Brian Wilson and J.P. Howell, not to mention Kenley Jansen‘s projected $8.2MM arbitration salary.

Baseball America ranked Barnes as the Marlins’ 20th-best prospect prior to the season. The 24-year-old catcher has shown some impressive skill at the plate, with .298/.390/.431 slash line over 1855 minor league PA. Barnes posted a .913 OPS in 348 PA at the Double-A level last season.

Carp

DCC 4Life
These Dodgers moves are interesting. From the outside, it looks like they are doing some chemistry changes...I would prefer Ramirez and Gordon to Rollins and Kendrick, but I think they wanted more leadership from their middle infielders.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Well, in Back to the Future 2 2015 was the year the longshot Cubs finally won the World Series…

Screw it, go all in! The prophecy was foretold in 1989 by the great prophet Zemeckis!!!

:towel

(I'm getting nothing done at work today…too jazzed and reading too many articles about the Cubs' offseason)
The Cubs have to know the last few years of the deal that they are overpaying for Lester, but you have to do that. It reminds me of when the Mets went out and signed Pedro...it signaled to the team and the fans that they were all in. The Cubs and their fans have to feel that same way too, it just builds momentum and makes them a more attractive landing spot for FAs too. Pedro signing with the Mets was a big reason why we got Beltran the next season. We'll see what else the Cubs can do, just ride out this momentum.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Tigers, Red Sox Nearing Deal To Swap Porcello, Cespedes

By Jeff Todd [December 11, 2014 at 8:55am CST]

8:57am: Detroit is expected to deal prospects for another starter in a second swap as well, Morosi reports on Twitter.

8:55am: The Tigers and Red Sox have agreed to a deal that will send outfielder Yoenis Cespedes to Detroit in return for starter Rick Porcello, C.J. Nitkowski of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports on Twitter. Indeed, Detroit is closing in on a deal involving Cespedes and Porcello as well as another trade, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets. Detroit will also receive minor league pitching in the deal, per another Morosi tweet.

In moving Porcello, who is arb-eligible a final time before reaching free agency (at a projected $12.2MM salary), the Tigers would be making yet another stunning move involving the club’s high-powered rotation. He joins Doug Fister and Drew Smyly as former Detroit starters. The latter, of course, was part of the deal that brought David Price to Motown. It remains to bee seen whether the move would constitute a precursor to another pitching addition.

For Boston, meanwhile, this swap would close the loop on last summer’s Jon Lester trade, which brought in Cespedes. The club added several other outfield pieces to a crowded situation, which made another deal of some kind seem inevitable. Bringing back an arm of Porcello’s quality would certainly be a nice consolation prize for missing out on a chance to bring back Lester. Cespedes is owed $10.5MM before he reaches the open market after the year, and will not be capable of receiving a qualifying offer due to a clause in his deal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs have to know the last few years of the deal that they are overpaying for Lester, but you have to do that. It reminds me of when the Mets went out and signed Pedro...it signaled to the team and the fans that they were all in. The Cubs and their fans have to feel that same way too, it just builds momentum and makes them a more attractive landing spot for FAs too. Pedro signing with the Mets was a big reason why we got Beltran the next season. We'll see what else the Cubs can do, just ride out this momentum.
For sure. It's exciting. It looks like they didn't bother dipping their toes in the pool. They stayed out of it until they were ready to dive in. Sounds like Jonny Gomes and David Ross (both buddies of Lester, and Ross has been his catcher in the past) will be brought on as vet depth. We'll see about another big bat. I'm for it if they can get the right deal but I'm a little leery of them shipping out too much in prospects for a guy who will hit free agency after this season.

Now if JUp, as an example, would remove the Cubs from his no-trade list and they could work out a contract extension as part of the trade? I'd be fine with shipping off a Javy Baez/Albert Almora package if that's what it took. JUp is an established player with a very good track record and is still well under 30.

The only players/prospects I personally would not trade under almost any circumstances are Rizzo (Cubs stole him with that contract), Castro (definitely changed my tune…his salary is great for his production), Kris Bryant, Jorge Soler, and Addison Russell. And even that list is negotiable if it is an offer they can't refuse. Anyone else would be potentially available in trade.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

For sure. It's exciting. It looks like they didn't bother dipping their toes in the pool. They stayed out of it until they were ready to dive in. Sounds like Jonny Gomes and David Ross (both buddies of Lester, and Ross has been his catcher in the past) will be brought on as vet depth. We'll see about another big bat. I'm for it if they can get the right deal but I'm a little leery of them shipping out too much in prospects for a guy who will hit free agency after this season.

Now if JUp, as an example, would remove the Cubs from his no-trade list and they could work out a contract extension as part of the trade? I'd be fine with shipping off a Javy Baez/Albert Almora package if that's what it took. JUp is an established player with a very good track record and is still well under 30.
What if Justin only comes with BJ?

~snicker~

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
These Dodgers moves are interesting. From the outside, it looks like they are doing some chemistry changes...I would prefer Ramirez and Gordon to Rollins and Kendrick, but I think they wanted more leadership from their middle infielders.
Must be something like that. Valuing that vet leadership.

They had to move one of their overpriced OFers and Kemp was the only one anyone wanted. Looks like they got decent return.

So Boston got Wade Miley and Rick Porcello? Solid, but they're still really lacking a top end starter. Have to wonder if they are going to get more serious about a trade for Hamels or Zimmerman. They still have some pieces to get that done.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Must be something like that. Valuing that vet leadership.

They had to move one of their overpriced OFers and Kemp was the only one anyone wanted. Looks like they got decent return.

So Boston got Wade Miley and Rick Porcello? Solid, but they're still really lacking a top end starter. Have to wonder if they are going to get more serious about a trade for Hamels or Zimmerman. They still have some pieces to get that done.
Yeah, Boston lacks a #1 guy for sure. I think Hamels is a logical choice...although if they are throwing money around, why not Scherzer? The lack of action on him surprises me.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yeah, Boston lacks a #1 guy for sure. I think Hamels is a logical choice...although if they are throwing money around, why not Scherzer? The lack of action on him surprises me.
From what I've read this was kind of expected. Apparently Boras likes to sit back and wait with clients he knows are really going to cash in. Not sure why, but that guy has gotten a lot of people contracts far larger than they should have gotten so I won't question him.

I'd say it's more likely Boston tries to trade for Hamels than sign Scherzer. Every indication is that Scherzer is looking for $200M. The Red Sox spent nearly that much on Panda/Hanley already and, while they're a rich organization, I'm sure there has to be some sort of limit to what they'll spend. Hamels is owed like $90M over the remainder of his contract. At this point Boston would be much better off trading prospects to get him than committing that much money to Scherzer, IMO. They probably would have offered Lester more money if they were willing to spend well over $100M on another starter.

The question becomes, who in the hell is going to be able to afford Scherzer? It almost has to be the Yankees, right? CC is toast, or at least done as a top of the rotation starter. Tanaka is a stud if he returns fully healthy (and stays that way). Pineda is talented but is he reliable? Everyone else they have as rotation candidates is WGAS? The Yanks have been relatively quiet so far (besides overpaying Andrew Miller and acquiring Gregorius) so Scherzer might be their big offseason plash.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
From what I've read this was kind of expected. Apparently Boras likes to sit back and wait with clients he knows are really going to cash in. Not sure why, but that guy has gotten a lot of people contracts far larger than they should have gotten so I won't question him.

I'd say it's more likely Boston tries to trade for Hamels than sign Scherzer. Every indication is that Scherzer is looking for $200M. The Red Sox spent nearly that much on Panda/Hanley already and, while they're a rich organization, I'm sure there has to be some sort of limit to what they'll spend. Hamels is owed like $90M over the remainder of his contract. At this point Boston would be much better off trading prospects to get him than committing that much money to Scherzer, IMO. They probably would have offered Lester more money if they were willing to spend well over $100M on another starter.

The question becomes, who in the hell is going to be able to afford Scherzer? It almost has to be the Yankees, right? CC is toast, or at least done as a top of the rotation starter. Tanaka is a stud if he returns fully healthy (and stays that way). Pineda is talented but is he reliable? Everyone else they have as rotation candidates is WGAS? The Yanks have been relatively quiet so far (besides overpaying Andrew Miller) so Scherzer might be their big offseason plash.
I think you have to get the money early now. Boras will get him his money, but I just don't see teams lining up for him. Even if the Mets had the money and the need, he is not a guy I would throw the money at.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Marlins To Acquire Mat Latos From Reds
By Charlie Wilmoth [December 11, 2014 at 10:51am CST]

10:51am: Marlins pitching prospect Anthony DeSclafani is likely headed to the Reds in the deal, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro tweets. Chad Wallach is also going to Cincinnati, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports on Twitter.

10:40am: The Marlins are set to acquire Latos, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

9:50am: Miami is making progress with the Reds on a deal to acquire Mat Latos, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

9:04am: The Marlins are actually adding a starter via trade, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com tweets. It is a right-handed starter with one year of control remaining, he says.

1:54am: The Marlins will announce the signing of a starting pitcher on Thursday, ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets, adding that the pitcher in question is not Justin Masterson, who appears to be close to a deal with another team.

The Marlins, of course, acquired starting pitcher Dan Haren from the Dodgers Wednesday, although he could opt to retire rather than playing outside Southern California.
------------------------------------------------------

I like the player. I've just heard people talk about injury concern on the horizon. If healthy he should do very well in that ballpark in Miami.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Red Sox To Sign Justin Masterson
By Jeff Todd [December 11, 2014 at 10:56am CST]

The Red Sox have agreed to sign righty Justin Masterson, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports on Twitter.
---------------------------------------

Maybe Boston is just going to try and go with a rotation of a bunch of good, not great pitchers. Masterson is a wildcard for sure. He's been very up and down in his career with 2013 being way up and 2014 being way down.

I guess they could still pursue an ace via trade but they will have replaced pretty much their entire rotation if they do that.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Marlins To Acquire Mat Latos From Reds
By Charlie Wilmoth [December 11, 2014 at 10:51am CST]

10:51am: Marlins pitching prospect Anthony DeSclafani is likely headed to the Reds in the deal, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro tweets. Chad Wallach is also going to Cincinnati, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports on Twitter.

10:40am: The Marlins are set to acquire Latos, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

9:50am: Miami is making progress with the Reds on a deal to acquire Mat Latos, Jon Morosi of FOX Sports tweets.

9:04am: The Marlins are actually adding a starter via trade, Joe Frisaro of MLB.com tweets. It is a right-handed starter with one year of control remaining, he says.

1:54am: The Marlins will announce the signing of a starting pitcher on Thursday, ESPN’s Jayson Stark tweets, adding that the pitcher in question is not Justin Masterson, who appears to be close to a deal with another team.

The Marlins, of course, acquired starting pitcher Dan Haren from the Dodgers Wednesday, although he could opt to retire rather than playing outside Southern California.
------------------------------------------------------

I like the player. I've just heard people talk about injury concern on the horizon. If healthy he should do very well in that ballpark in Miami.
I don't like this deal for Cincy. I think Latos has a chance to be a good pitcher.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Red Sox To Sign Justin Masterson
By Jeff Todd [December 11, 2014 at 10:56am CST]

The Red Sox have agreed to sign righty Justin Masterson, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reports on Twitter.
---------------------------------------

Maybe Boston is just going to try and go with a rotation of a bunch of good, not great pitchers. Masterson is a wildcard for sure. He's been very up and down in his career with 2013 being way up and 2014 being way down.

I guess they could still pursue an ace via trade but they will have replaced pretty much their entire rotation if they do that.
Yeah...they have a solid group of 3-4s.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The final day of the Winter Meetings begins with the annual Rule 5 Draft. Check here for a list of players drafted. Teams can only select a player if it has space on its 40-man roster.

Arizona Diamondbacks: C Oscar Hernandez, Rays
Colorado Rockies: IF Mark Canha, Marlins
Texas Rangers: OF Delino DeShields Jr., Astros
Houston Astros: RHP Jason Garcia, Red Sox
Minnesota Twins: RHP J.R. Graham, Braves
Boston Red Sox: RHP Jandel Gustave, Astros
Chicago Cubs: SS Taylor Featherstone, Rockies
Philadelphia Phillies: IF/OF Odubel Herrera , Rangers
New York Mets: LHP Sean Gilmartin, Twins
Atlanta Braves: RHP Daniel Winkler, Rockies
Seattle Mariners: LHP David Rollins, Astros

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Congrats Rangers. You guys got Cubs (non)prospect Rock Shoulders in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft. He doesn't have a future at the big league level, but it's a hell of a name isn't it?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Congrats Rangers. You guys got Cubs (non)prospect Rock Shoulders in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft. He doesn't have a future at the big league level, but it's a hell of a name isn't it?
Lol. We did something!!!

Top Bottom