MacMahon: Tony Romo - 'We've got to win out'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo: 'We've got to win out'
Updated: December 10, 2013, 3:40 AM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

CHICAGO -- The playoff scenarios aren't very complicated, as far as the Dallas Cowboys are concerned.

"We've got to win out," quarterback Tony Romo told ESPNDallas.com after Monday night's 45-28 loss to the Chicago Bears. "That's our approach. We need to do that. I think we have that mindset.

"I think we've had that. Really, a couple of weeks ago, we felt like we needed to win. We did that, so it's going right back into it."

The 7-6 Cowboys, who missed the playoffs the last two seasons after losing regular-season finales that were de facto NFC East title games, dropped a game behind the 8-5 Philadelphia Eagles in the division standings. Those teams will meet Week 17 at the Cowboys' AT&T Stadium in another potential win-or-go-home game.

Because the Cowboys won in Philadelphia on Oct. 20, Dallas controls its own playoff destiny. However, the only way the Cowboys are guaranteed to end a three-year postseason drought is to win its final three games.

"We've got to win them all at this point," cornerback Orlando Scandrick said. "We can't sit around and wait for Philadelphia to lose."

Added defensive end DeMarcus Ware: "We just feel like we don't want any margin of error. We want to win out and control our own destiny. That's just the bottom line."

The Eagles have an NFL-best five-game winning streak. Philadelphia faces the 3-9-1 Minnesota Vikings on the road and the 7-6 Bears at home before finishing the regular season against the Cowboys.

The Cowboys play the 6-6-1 Green Bay Packers at home and the 3-10 Washington Redskins on the road before hosting the Eagles.

A wild-card berth is not a realistic scenario for the Cowboys. Those spots are currently held by the Carolina Panthers and San Francisco 49ers, a pair of teams with 9-4 records.

"If we can't lose a division game, we can't have another loss that Green Bay would give us, then it looks like we've got to just carry it on out," owner/general manager Jerry Jones said, referring to winning the final three games of the regular season. "But that seems a little empty right this minute, right after we've just seen us have the inability to get a stop out here. That's very frustrating. I can almost say it's understandable, but that doesn't make it acceptable."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We're going to get run out of the Jerry Dome by Green Bay no matter which QB is playing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We probably do need to win out. I could see us beating GB though, especially if Rodgers does not play.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We probably do need to win out. I could see us beating GB though, especially if Rodgers does not play.
Not gonna happen.

Doesn't matter who plays QB anymore....this defense isn't stopping anyone.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not gonna happen.

Doesn't matter who plays QB anymore....this defense isn't stopping anyone.
Well, it's not stopping anyone well. It could put up a Christian Ponder-like game in Flynn plays.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas will probably (barely) win the next two games only to get annihilated by the Eagles leaving the team out of the tournament and with average draft position yet again.

The only saving grace here is Washington is looking at handing the Rams the #2 pick overall.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Dallas will probably (barely) win the next two games only to get annihilated by the Eagles leaving the team out of the tournament and with average draft position yet again.

The only saving grace here is Washington is looking at handing the Rams the #2 pick overall.
I just can't see this defense holding Green Bay under 40 and the offense can't score at that pace, but we should beat the Skins.

If Philly splits their last two (maybe beats Minny and loses to the Bears) then they will be 9-6, we will be 8-7 and the last game will be for the division. And we will lose.

superpunk

Banned
I just can't see this defense holding Green Bay under 40 and the offense can't score at that pace, but we should beat the Skins.

If Philly splits their last two (maybe beats Minny and loses to the Bears) then they will be 9-6, we will be 8-7 and the last game will be for the division. And we will lose.
Matt Flynn is the worst.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I see Foles shredding the living shit out of this subpar group. It will be fugly, and this time the guy will BREAK the TD record. Book that shit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Dallas Cowboys have the ability to adjust, ride Tony Romo and the running game to ‘a storybook finish’
By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
1:12 pm on December 10, 2013 | Permalink

Jerry Jones will be obviously be disappointed if the Dallas Cowboys fall short of winning the NFC East after sitting atop the standings for most of the year.

Tuesday morning, the Cowboys owner and general manager explained at length how much he has invested in this season.

“Well, everything we’ve done this year, there’s been no next year for us,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “The things we’re doing, we’re doing within the maximum ability we have cap-wise, the maximum ability we have.

“For instance, [Anthony] Spencer, re-signing Spencer to the franchise tag, which is a very costly way of doing that. We felt strongly about that. I look back on it and we had better plans in mind for that front four.

“I thought the adjustments we made in the off-season, [offensively] plus a healthy defense would really make a big impact positively for us. That hasn’t worked out, as of right now.”

After mentioning the significant injuries the team has suffered on defense, Jones attempted to find some light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing that a frustrated fan base was listening, Jones took a shot at selling some positive thoughts.

“More importantly, we’re doing better on our offensive line than we were at this time last year,” Jones said. “I think we’re better at receiver. We’re better at running back. I think our quarterback is having a top year. We got to figure out a way on the other side of the ball. By the way, while I’m rambling around here, our special teams are, I think, better than they were at this time last year. I do see improvement.

“We are certainly here at 7-6 and nobody’s grinning about that. That’s not what we wanted to be. But we do have the ability to step out here and put two or three games together, make some adjustments, ride that [Tony] Romo, ride that running game and maybe have a storybook finish.”

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
But we do have the ability to step out here and put two or three games together, make some adjustments, ride that [Tony] Romo, ride that running game and maybe have a storybook finish.”
Storybook finish, eh? What story, "Diary of Anne Frank"? :shrug

superpunk

Banned
I just want them to be eliminated before week 17. Please don't make me sit through another do or die against a division opponent in primetime.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He has an eval tomorrow. But he is practicing today on a limited basis.
He said he had pain last week.

Doesn't matter. Matt Flynn will light up this sack of shit D.

Top Bottom