Stephen Jones says pass rush a top priority for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Posted by Josh Alper on April 19, 2016, 2:08 PM EDT

The Cowboys tried to amp up their pass rush last year by signing defensive end Greg Hardy, a move that led to some initial success on the field and plenty of headaches away from it.

Hardy’s return for 2016 doesn’t appear to be in the cards and 2015 second-round pick Randy Gregory is going to be serving a suspension to start the season, leaving the Cowboys in a similar spot to the one they were in last year. It shouldn’t come as much surprise, then, that executive vice president Stephen Jones said that the team is focused on adding help up front on defense.

“At the end of the day, our defensive front is still a position that we keep our eye on in terms of always trying to get better there,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Ultimately we want to find a dominant type of pass rusher. Obviously that’s easier said than done.”

With the fourth pick in the first round, the Cowboys could have their choice of every pass rusher in this year’s class. Jones said the team would consider making a trade up or down in the first round, playing “option quarterback” was his phrasing, and a deep group of front seven prospects gives Dallas options about how to go about adding help to their defense later this month.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah you and every other team. The Bronco's won the superbowl with shitty QB play and an average run game because their defense had a crazy good pass rush. In this copy cat NFL everyone is going to be trying to mimic that game plan. There is no Von Miller in the first round of this draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah you and every other team. The Bronco's won the superbowl with shitty QB play and an average run game because their defense had a crazy good pass rush. In this copy cat NFL everyone is going to be trying to mimic that game plan. There is no Von Miller in the first round of this draft.
Only the Cowboys would prioritize the pass rush in a draft that is significantly weak in that area.

About the only hope I have is that Goof Son was talking about interior rushers, that means Rankins to me and I wikey in a trade down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only the Cowboys would prioritize the pass rush in a draft that is significantly weak in that area.

About the only hope I have is that Goof Son was talking about interior rushers, that means Rankins to me and I wikey in a trade down.
Yeah and I know I saw Goof Son mention that the pass rush could come from the inside or outside. Mentioning that Crawford can play some end so their is a possibility to add a guy like Rankins and use Crawford and end instead some.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah and I know I saw Goof Son mention that the pass rush could come from the inside or outside. Mentioning that Crawford can play some end so their is a possibility to add a guy like Rankins and use Crawford and end instead some.
Yeah, I saw that. And that could be a positive in this soon to be suck-a-bag-o-dicks draft.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, I saw that. And that could be a positive in this soon to be suck-a-bag-o-dicks draft.
You had a childhood of endless, crushing disappointments, didn't you.

I have never seen anybody purposely shit all over any and every thing, to try and take any possible sting out of things as much as you do. :lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They had a great pass rush combined with outstanding run defense and pass coverage talent. They also put it all back together at the right time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They had a great pass rush combined with outstanding run defense and pass coverage talent. They also put it all back together at the right time.
Well the difference between Phillips in Dallas and Phillips in Denver is that Denver could actually cover some guys. We couldn't do that to save our lives here.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm ready for this team to give me Ramsey, Prescott, and then some shit ball from a small school at every pick after that. This draft has gotten the train wreck stench for sure with the guys they've been poking around lately.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'm ready for this team to give me Ramsey, Prescott, and then some shit ball from a small school at every pick after that. This draft has gotten the train wreck stench for sure with the guys they've been poking around lately.
I don't think we've messed with many small school guys anymore since McClay started having more input.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That will happen.

Sincerely,
DFDC

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well the difference between Phillips in Dallas and Phillips in Denver is that Denver could actually cover some guys. We couldn't do that to save our lives here.
Exactly.

Dallas was best in the NFL rushing the passer in 2008, and not only couldn't cover anyone but would also couldn't stop the run when we needed to.

That "little quick penetrating NT" gimmicky crap fucked us as Ratliff got blown off the line on seemingly every other run play. He may as well have not even show up for that Rams game when Jackson trampled us.

Meanwhile the Broncos remained stout and disciplined in the middle while unleashing Miller and Ware. If they weren't stout they were deep. The backers were also young an deep and the defensive backs covered extremely well.

They were middle of the pack in interceptions, but stifling overall.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You do know where Wentz went to school right?:shrug

Top Bottom