Murray watch thread...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This pretty much locks in a Philly at Dallas early season Sunday or Monday night game, doesn't it? Murray returns to Dallas to face his old team with designs on making them pay for not respecting him. All of that bullshit that they like to try to sell as intriguing.
More than likely. Then they'll get the late season, cold weather home game. Probably last game of the year.

Hopefully, he'll be hurt by then. :lol

Carp

DCC 4Life
Frank Gore changing his mind sure changed things for Murray and Mathews.

data

Forbes #1
My attention now switches to Felix jones and how he does in the veterans combine.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree with booze. None of this RB by committee bullshit. We need a bellcow. Fine if they didn't want to pay for Murray. But go out and get a real replacement.

This Ridley/Bush/whomever stuff is making me want to vomit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't blame Murray for chasing the money. It's his one and only shot at getting his payday. Good for him, but acting like a whiny little biznatch isn't going to help Cowboys fans feel good about you.

Carp

DCC 4Life

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I agree with booze. None of this RB by committee bullshit. We need a bellcow. Fine if they didn't want to pay for Murray. But go out and get a real replacement.

This Ridley/Bush/whomever stuff is making me want to vomit.
So you want a rookie to come in and be the "bellcow" without any sort of veteran depth on the roster? No way. I'm fine if they bring in a rookie who they believe can be a 3 down back. Give him a chance to do that. But rookies have a tendency to struggle in pass protection and sometimes have trouble adjusting to the physical nature of the NFL/learning to play dinged up. I want a veteran on the roster as depth/backup plan for sure.

Cotton

Staff member
So any thoughts on the comp pick? Surely it will be a 5th or better?
It partially depends on who we sign to replace him. If we go draft, we will get a rookie contract to replace him and the comp pick will be a lot higher. It almost certainly will be a 5th or higher.

Cotton

Staff member
So you want a rookie to come in and be the "bellcow" without any sort of veteran depth on the roster? No way. I'm fine if they bring in a rookie who they believe can be a 3 down back. Give him a chance to do that. But rookies have a tendency to struggle in pass protection and sometimes have trouble adjusting to the physical nature of the NFL/learning to play dinged up. I want a veteran on the roster as depth/backup plan for sure.
I'm down with that, but I want a vet on the cheap. I don't want to spend a bunch if we are going draft as well. I had much rather spend it on the defense.

dallen

Senior Tech
For everyone talking about possible comp picks, remember we won't see those until the 2016 draft

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys hold line on DeMarco Murray, but at what cost?
March, 12, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – DeMarco Murray will be a Philadelphia Eagle?

Find the decision for the Eagles to sign Murray strange if you want, but it severely hurts the Dallas Cowboys.

The Eagles traded LeSean McCoy for a linebacker (Kiko Alonso) coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament and looked to be replacing him with Ryan Mathews, who has never played a full season because of injuries but had agreed to a deal.

Now they are about to add Murray, who played his first full season of his career last year and led the NFL in rushing with 1,845 yards. And they already had Darren Sproles on the roster. Chip Kelly is an offensive mastermind (ahem) so if anybody can figure it out, he can.

Maybe he will bring back the single wing.

While there may be some questions about how this works in Philadelphia, especially if Mathews stays, the Cowboys have lost what Jason Garrett called their heartbeat.

Murray’s running along with the offensive line changed the Cowboys’ identity in 2014. They had been searching high and low for it in Garrett’s tenure and finally found it.

The Cowboys held the fort on what they thought Murray’s price should be and didn’t budge enough to make him want to stay. They cast their lot with the offensive line over the running back.

Now they have to go get a running back. Or two.

Joseph Randle has shown flashes of ability but also immaturity off the field that make his roster spot no sure thing. Lance Dunbar is a third-down back. Ryan Williams is a former second-round pick (hooray) with five games of experience in the last four seasons and an 2.8 yard-per-carry average (boo).

Sources said Tuesday the Cowboys would not play the free-agent market right now to find Murray’s replacement. They would likely lean on the running-back heavy draft and go with a committee approach in 2015.

Even if Murray had returned, it would have been foolish to expect him to run for 1,845 yards since that had never been done before in a franchise that has had two Hall of Fame backs in Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett.

But the production from the running game could remain the same with Murray getting fewer carries and more from his backups.

The Cowboys held their line, which can be looked at as admirable by some or foolish by others, but they never imagined they would have to play against him twice a year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
For everyone talking about possible comp picks, remember we won't see those until the 2016 draft
Who all could we get a pick for?

DeMarco
Parnell
Durant
Carter
Harris
Melton

Cotton

Staff member
Who all could we get a pick for?

DeMarco
Parnell
Durant
Carter
Harris
Melton
Most likely it will be for Murray, Parnell, Carter, and Durant.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He's showing more maturity and restraint than Irvin is, and he's directly impacted over the decision.

Top Bottom