2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Dear Stanford Community:

At this historic moment, we have heard from students, faculty and staff, who have expressed uncertainty, anger, anxiety and/or fear following yesterday’s election. We write to reaffirm the university’s commitment to support every member of our community.

The most important thing to do is to take care of yourselves and to give support to those who need it. If you want to talk, need support or have short- or long-term concerns you wish to discuss, the university has resources available to you, including our undergraduate and graduate residential staffs, Counseling & Psychological Services, Faculty/Staff Help Center, the Office for Religious Life and our community centers.

There are a couple of scheduled programs today, including:

“What Matters to Me and Why” – a post-election reflection,

Nicole Taylor, Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs,

Noon – 1 p.m. in the Common Room, Old Union 3rd floor

Contemplative Skills for Post-Election Reflection,

Dereca Blackmon, Associate Dean, Student Affairs

5:30 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. Bldg. 320, Room 105

Throughout the day, our community centers will be having conversations that are open to all. In the days and weeks ahead, we expect the community to come together in additional programs, events and other gatherings that provide an opportunity to reflect on ways in which we can help shape our future.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dear Stanford Community:

At this historic moment, we have heard from students, faculty and staff, who have expressed uncertainty, anger, anxiety and/or fear following yesterday’s election. We write to reaffirm the university’s commitment to support every member of our community.

The most important thing to do is to take care of yourselves and to give support to those who need it. If you want to talk, need support or have short- or long-term concerns you wish to discuss, the university has resources available to you, including our undergraduate and graduate residential staffs, Counseling & Psychological Services, Faculty/Staff Help Center, the Office for Religious Life and our community centers.

There are a couple of scheduled programs today, including:

“What Matters to Me and Why” – a post-election reflection,

Nicole Taylor, Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs,

Noon – 1 p.m. in the Common Room, Old Union 3rd floor

Contemplative Skills for Post-Election Reflection,

Dereca Blackmon, Associate Dean, Student Affairs

5:30 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. Bldg. 320, Room 105

Throughout the day, our community centers will be having conversations that are open to all. In the days and weeks ahead, we expect the community to come together in additional programs, events and other gatherings that provide an opportunity to reflect on ways in which we can help shape our future.
Safe spaces!!!

Jesus when did we become such a nation of pussies?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This has nothing to do with if you voted for Trump its about the mood of the country and why was this an effective tactic.

You where talking about having meaningful conversations.
And, I said I'm game. You are the one that included what the country might be thinking. I can't speak for the rest of the country. That's why I said I'm game. Jesus H.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think you are confusing my stance about Trump. I didn't vote for Trump as much as I voted against Hillary. I am no huge Trump backer.
No one may understand this but I certainly do.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Safe spaces!!!

Jesus when did we become such a nation of pussies?
I still think Trump is awful, but this kind of thing is as worrying as a Trump presidency.

I mean, that's the kind of announcement they made in high school when classmates got in car wrecks and died.

Cotton

Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Eight years ago, we voted in the first black Pres and it was widely regarded an accomplishment. we felt good about progressing towards equality. I'm guessing the rural white voter would be generally tolerable/accepting of this achievement.

Then the rural white voter gets rewarded with media showing non-stop Ferguson, Baltimore, Oakland riots, Kaepernick every Sunday in the most widely viewed game in America and BLM. It's agitating. The sleeping mass wakes up screaming/voting.

Trump didn't introduce race into this election, just surfed the wave. Hillary was not the person to quell this swell, as well as turning off educated voters, too.

liberals are complaining about the 'volume' of racists in this country. No, the country isnt a majority of hate-filled racists. It is filled with people that won't tolerate what we experienced with the aforementioned. Ya did it to yourself by how you acted when given a chance.
Tolerate what exactly?

Jiggyfly

Banned
You're right, but I think you're missing the point if you think this was about specific policy or platform. It's about change from the status quo.
Yeah but why is democratic policy status quo?

A lot of Dems think Obama was way to centrist.

A lot of this is feeling left out of the game and the funny thing its the same sentiment the occupy folks where talking about and they where people who needed to get a job.

Funny how things change.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't know how to say this without sounding terrible but the black community needs to realize how bad they hurt their own cause. These issues pits blacks against whites and the bigger issues of racism becomes an after thought. It feels like an attack against whites (I'm sure my black brethren could ask how it feels), police and so on so there is a backlash.

Follow MLK's blueprint and things change for the better IMO. This is just outright anarchy.
What do you think was happening before BLM?

This like the anger of Trump supporters did not spring up from nowhere.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

A lot of this is feeling left out of the game and the funny thing its the same sentiment the occupy folks where talking about and they where people who needed to get a job.

Funny how things change.
Aren't we kind of back to Hillary? Maybe she wins if she actually represents any policies that appeal to those feeling left out.

I know she was going to get around to becoming a populist and reject her entire record and lifetime of avowed support for globalism just as soon as she won, but I don't think anyone bought it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

The rift was not nearly as big up until the last couple of years. If you deny that, you are a fool.

The riots in Charlotte, etc., did not help anything.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

A lot of things lead up to it for sure. All I'm saying is that it hasn't been productive. It has actually caused more chaos and hate. I'm all for being heard. Anyone is free to do it however they want but BLM is the black version inflammatory racism. Blacks are angry!!!! Ghaaaaaaaawwwwwwrrrrrrrr kill police! Um, ok then. Thanks for bringing us together.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The rift was not nearly as big up until the last couple of years. If you deny that, you are a fool.

The riots in Charlotte, etc., did not help anything.
Man you have a habit of writing crap like that. Your personal opinion with a trap insult if people don't agreed. I can tell you I used to think the same as you on this but in talking to black friends of mine they all felt this has been brewing for years and has finally come to a head. Why now? I think it's mostly about technology. Now everyone is carrying around a video camera. Not the case 10 years ago.

The frustrating part for me is the cases that create the most outrage. People riot and burn down parts of Ferguson over the shooting a piece-of-shit who just robbed a convenience store, assaulted the clerk, then assaulted the cop who shot him. Righteous kill in most people's book. Rodney King got the shit beat out of him way worse than he should. But he was a drunk driving POS as well. Then the poor black man who gets shot by police trying to protect an autistic kid and there is hardly a peep. Now that would have been the case to protest. That was messed up.

Cotton

Staff member
Why do I even try.:picard
Jesus fucking Christ, you asked me how about we have an open and honest discussion about race. I said, I'm game. Then you took it off in another direction about how Trump ran his campaign. I'm not speaking to that. You brought that into the discussion. I simply said I was game for that discussion.

Cotton

Staff member
A lot of things lead up to it for sure. All I'm saying is that it hasn't been productive. It has actually caused more chaos and hate. I'm all for being heard. Anyone is free to do it however they want but BLM is the black version inflammatory racism. Blacks are angry!!!! Ghaaaaaaaawwwwwwrrrrrrrr kill police! Um, ok then. Thanks for bringing us together.
Spot on.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Funny how things change.
Because Obama has been president and therefore is the face of the party.

Not sure what relevance the rest of your post is. We're talking about voters unhappy with the way things have been, so they voted for the other party. Happens all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom