Mendez: Garrett says rookie RB Randle has played better than his numbers say

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett says rookie RB Randle has played better than his numbers say, and Cowboys still confident in him

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said rookie running back Joseph Randle has played better than his numbers indicate.

Randle’s role could be heightened with the loss of Lance Dunbar to a knee injury. But Randle has not carried in the past two games and carried only once in the game before that. Before that stretch, he carried 44 times for 108 yards (2.5 average) and one touchdown in three games.

“I know his numbers might not indicate that, but he went in and played football at this level,” Garrett said. “Sometimes, when a rookie goes in there, on his first opportunity to carry the ball for an extended period of time, he seems young, seems like maybe a college guy, and it might be a little bit too big for him. Joseph has never had that way about him.”

Randle said he has tried to stay sharp despite the relative inactivity the past three games.

“Practice is kind of like a game for a guy who doesn’t get in,” he said. “You practice to keep you skills sharp.”

He agreed he has an opportunity ahead of him.

“I’m just going to go in there and make plays and do what I’ve been doing since I was 3,” he said.

Garrett said Randle has learned from his rookie experiences.

“He hasn’t played perfect football. But we have a lot of confidence in him,” Garrett said. “He’s a big guy. He runs downhill. He’s got good vision. He’s tough. And he’s done a good job with the football. If he has an opportunity to play, we expect good things from him.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And his Fat Wade tendencies continue....

Smitty

DCC 4Life
:lol

Every time Garrett compliments a player, he's Wade Phillips.

Hilarious.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think he's "propping him up" or "enabling" him. I think you have a problem with Randle cause you never liked the selection from Day 1.

I agree with what Garrett said about him here. There are some things he does well, in that I think his running style will be very similar to Murrays. If he has to take over the backup RB carries, I do expect him to continue to get better. I don't think he's a scrub and I think the comments were reflecting that.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I don't have an opinion on him one way or another. He's only played about 3 games. He did make a nice grab or two which kind of surprised me.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Randle was pretty productive at Oklahoma State.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Funny how in Dallas everyone and everything is better than their numbers: The Cowboys are better than .500, the 1-7 Vikings after we struggled with them, Randle who has shown very little ability, etc.

But yet, no one ever says we're not as good as the numbers indicate. Case in point - Tony Romo. He's had a solid season and has done a great job protecting the ball, but his play has been solid at best. But everyone in Dallas talks about what a "great" season he's had when that's simply not true.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Funny how in Dallas everyone and everything is better than their numbers: The Cowboys are better than .500, the 1-7 Vikings after we struggled with them, Randle who has shown very little ability, etc.

But yet, no one ever says we're not as good as the numbers indicate. Case in point - Tony Romo. He's had a solid season and has done a great job protecting the ball, but his play has been solid at best. But everyone in Dallas talks about what a "great" season he's had when that's simply not true.
I don' t know of anyone on this board that said Romo is having a great season but some have said he is having a good season and I am one of them.

Tony D

DCC 4Life

After 5 games I thought Romo was having a great season. He's only had a couple good games since. But with Romo the bottom line is wins and losses and getting to the playoffs. If he gets the team to the playoffs it will be a very good season in the minds of many. At this point does it matter if he throws for 5000 yards or 35 TD's or complete 70% of his passes? He's had great statistical seasons before, but he didn't make the playoffs. Just win games moving forward this year.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don' t know of anyone on this board that said Romo is having a great season but some have said he is having a good season and I am one of them.
I wasn't talking about the board, I was referring to those within the organization.

jester

Brand New Member
Any HC is gonna have a grading scale curve and gonna talk about players lower on the depth chart as having an upside. Otherwise what good are they. No HC is gonna say "I hope he's never in a situstion where we will have to play him cause he's not as good as the starter. "

That said this team approaches the run like its a bad idea even when its producing results.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Randle clearly was focused on not fumbling or making mistakes...no issue with how he played.

Top Bottom