Archer: Cowboys believe Brandon Carr is better than you think

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys believe Brandon Carr is better than you think

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- Brandon Carr is still standing.

First, the Dallas Cowboys brought in Nolan Carroll for a free-agent visit but had health concerns regarding him. He ended up re-signing with the Philadelphia Eagles. Then the Cowboys brought in Leon Hall for a visit, but there are health worries there too.

The strangest saga involved Patrick Robinson. The Cowboys thought they had a deal agreed upon then were informed Robinson had a different agent upon his visit to Valley Ranch. He then met with the Indianapolis Colts and signed with them.

That the Cowboys did not sign any of these cornerbacks has some alarmed that their favorite team has lost their luster. However, would signing any of these three severely impacted Super Bowl odds?

The biggest winner in this is Carr. Even if the Cowboys had signed Carroll, Hall or Robinson, it was no given Carr would have been jettisoned.

The Cowboys want Carr to re-work his contract, which calls for him to make $9.1 million this year. There have been talks with his agent, Ben Dogra. Determining Carr's worth on the open market is a sticking point. With the way deals have come down across the league so far, Carr is in the $5-6 million range.

The Cowboys know a team would sign him to a deal quickly. That is why they didn't press the pay cut last year. They also know they don't have a replacement for him yet and it was no guarantee those aforementioned corners would have replaced him.

Here's what Jason Garrett had to say from the owners meetings when asked if the visits with Carroll, Hall and Robinson were in relation to Carr:

"I think you have to be careful about making those assessments. The biggest thing we're trying to do is help our football team. We've tried to target some different guys and, again, we want to be disciplined throughout the process. You get a chance to bring players in and evaluate them and see if they fit, see if they fit for a lot of different reasons. You get to know them as people. You continue your evaluation of them as players. You evaluate how old they are, what their medical is, all the different things that go into signing a player. You can't have enough cover guys in this league. There are a lot of really good quarterbacks in this league. There are a lot of really good receivers. Offenses challenge you a lot of different ways in the passing game. You need a lot of guys out there covering these guys. It's always been a position that we've valued."

Garrett continued: "We drafted Mo Claiborne. We signed Brandon Carr. We have Orlando Scandrick, we believe it's a really important, valuable position on your football team. In order to play good defense you have to have good cover guys. We're always evaluating these guys to see if we can bring someone in to help us and if we are able to do that here over the course of free agency we'll assess our team, evaluate our team and see what the next best decisions are."

For those who don't know, Carr doesn't have an interception since Thanksgiving 2013, a span of 36 games. It all comes down to this: The Cowboys believe Carr is better than you think.

Garrett called him a "good" cover guy. The problem is the five-year, $50 million deal he received was for him to be a "great" cover guy. That hasn't happened and executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team knew at the time of the signing they were taking a chance.

"He, like everyone on our defense, we would like them to be more impactful, more productive," Garrett said. "We need to take the ball away more. Two years we were among the best teams in the NFL doing that. Last year we took a big step back. So as an organization you have to look at ways to improve in that area. Brandon has to improve but everybody across our defense has to improve. He has been a steady player for us. He has been a productive player for us at times. It's a valuable position. And he has done a good job covering guys at very challenging spot throughout his time with the Cowboys. Last year he dealt with an injury, a shoulder. He dealt with it throughout the year. So at times, he probably wasn't playing his best. But he was out there. He was a guy who showed up every day, who showed up every week.

"We feel good about what he is all about."

townsend

Banned
Full spin mode. Fine by me. This just means Garrett has to play the cards he's dealt.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
"I think you have to be careful about making those assessments. The biggest thing we're trying to do is help our football team. We've tried to target some different guys and, again, we want to be disciplined throughout the process. You get a chance to bring players in and evaluate them and see if they fit, see if they fit for a lot of different reasons. You get to know them as people. You continue your evaluation of them as players. You evaluate how old they are, what their medical is, all the different things that go into signing a player. You can't have enough cover guys in this league. There are a lot of really good quarterbacks in this league. There are a lot of really good receivers. Offenses challenge you a lot of different ways in the passing game. You need a lot of guys out there covering these guys. It's always been a position that we've valued."

Garrett continued: "We drafted Mo Claiborne. We signed Brandon Carr. We have Orlando Scandrick, we believe it's a really important, valuable position on your football team.
:words

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Yeah Carr would be in hot demand if he got cut. GTFO of here.
I think he would have been signed relatively quickly. He's not a terrible corner. He's just not worth what our brain trust decided to pay him. That's their fault, not his.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think he would have been signed relatively quickly. He's not a terrible corner. He's just not worth what our brain trust decided to pay him. That's their fault, not his.
He is not a lot different than Robinson. A corner poor team like Pittsburgh would snap him up pretty quick.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Last year he dealt with an injury, a shoulder. He dealt with it throughout the year.
For a team that claims up and down they don't use injuries as an excuse, they sure seem to say it a lot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree that Carr is better than he gets credit for. The money is more than he's worth, who cares? If they cut his salary in half they wouldn't spend it elsewhere anyway so I couldn't care less about it.

Claiborne on the other hand is the real problem. He just isn't even mediocre.

And the biggest issue is Scandrick just missed a year to injury, Claiborne is constantly hurt...if we have any corners missing time we're screwed because we have literally nothing behind the top 3.

I'd love to bring back Sterling Moore but we'll probably draft someone or move Byron Jones.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
A starting corner with no INTs in 36 games is not a guy that is in high demand. If he doesn't take that salary down to 5-6 mil, no way he's on this team when the bullets fly for real. Dallas will draft or trade for a DB, or possibly both. It makes no sense to pay Carr that much money for dogshit production. And the worst part is that his arrow is pointing down because his best days are behind him. Way behind him, like back in KC behind him.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
It is staggering that a durable CB like Carr who plays every week can go 36 games without an INT. How can you not just luck into a few in that amount of snaps?

I don't buy the "he's not bad, he's just overpaid" argument either. Yes, he is overpaid. Way overpaid. But he also isn't very good. At best he is an average NFL CB. That may be generous at this point. If he was averaging 5 INT/year or so and playing the way he plays I would have a different opinion. But he struggles in coverage an awful lot and never, ever takes that ball away. Not what I want in a starting CB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't buy the "he's not bad, he's just overpaid" argument either. Yes, he is overpaid. Way overpaid. But he also isn't very good. At best he is an average NFL CB. That may be generous at this point.
No one has a good argument as to why he is a solid corner. There isn't a single statistic that supports that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
No one has a good argument as to why he is a solid corner. There isn't a single statistic that supports that.
Good thing Jerry doesn't frequent the board.

Top Bottom