2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Semantics somebody can have a impact without changing football.

Like I said before Rich Rod has had just as much impact on that change..
Naw, it is not semantics. His impact was pretty huge. Definitely college football has changed because of Leach. There is no doubt about it.

I'm no expert on Rich Rod other than the fact that he agreed to a contract to coach at TTU and then backed out at the last minute when he was told he would be named the HC of WVU the following season. Leach was our 2nd choice and the rest is history.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No they weren't. Now you are twisting the article but that's no surprise. Every offense has "roots" from somewhere. There really aren't any offensive things that haven't been jotted down somewhere over the last 100 years.

I'm going to go ahead and go with what the guy told me himself about his scheme.

Mumme doesn't get much credit because he's a failure and worse personality than Leach.
All I have ever said is that the air raid had is rooted from those guys, what is the debate?

How am I twisting the article this is the exact quote.

Unlike traditional run-based offenses, it relies on throwing the ball from the shotgun formation, spreading the field and distributing the ball among several receivers. Like basketball, it tries to gain an edge through mismatches and creating space for its playmakers.

Its conceptual roots go back several decades, and it has several variations, including those taught by other 1990s coaching stars: Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and Joe Tiller.

The version run by Mumme and Leach is based largely on BYU's offense under coach LaVell Edwards.
And here is another article quoting what Leach said himself.

The offense owes a lot to the influence of BYU Head Coach LaVell Edwards who used the splits and several key passing concepts during the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s while coaching players such as Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco, and Ty Detmer. Mike Leach has made reference that he and Hal Mumme largely incorporated much of the BYU passing attack into what is now known as the Air Raid offense

Jiggyfly

Banned
Naw, it is not semantics. His impact was pretty huge. Definitely college football has changed because of Leach. There is no doubt about it.

I'm no expert on Rich Rod other than the fact that he agreed to a contract to coach at TTU and then backed out at the last minute when he was told he would be named the HC of WVU the following season. Leach was our 2nd choice and the rest is history.
Just as many teams run what Rich Rod is doing as what Leach does and some incorporate both.

I don't know why you keep trying to pin me down as not giving Leach his due.

But the fact remains that the Spread offense has been the game changer and there are 2 main variants.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Just as many teams run what Rich Rod is doing as what Leach does and some incorporate both.

I don't know why you keep trying to pin me down as not giving Leach his due.

But the fact remains that the Spread offense has been the game changer and there are 2 main variants.
Sorry if you feel pinned down there.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Maybe we should replace the old Notre Dame thread with a Texas Tech thread.
That's actually probably a good idea. Someone do that. I'm too lazy.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's a terrible idea. I was the one who originally asked that we have a college football thread back in the day before there even was one. I did this so I could freely post all of my ridiculous TTU stuff in it and make everyone read it. Now you want to take it away from me?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Brett McMurphy ✔ @McMurphyESPN
Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt will be new @CFBPlayoff selection committee chairman, sources told @ESPN
2:46 PM - 14 Jan 2016

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So basically TTU just made the playoffs next year. Done deal.

Naw, I'm just kidding. They gave it to the guy who was least likely to have a conflict of interest.....

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That's a terrible idea. I was the one who originally asked that we have a college football thread back in the day before there even was one. I did this so I could freely post all of my ridiculous TTU stuff in it and make everyone read it. Now you want to take it away from me?
Yes :tippytoe

Cotton

Staff member
What crazy [STRIKE]Leach hate[/STRIKE] TTU crazy stuff have you really posted?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
What crazy [STRIKE]Leach hate[/STRIKE] TTU crazy stuff have you really posted?
[STRIKE]I don't want to go there because you are my friend and I respect you.[/STRIKE]

You are such a jackass.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Since ya'll took a giant shit in here, now might be the time to start the 2016 College Football Chatter thread.

A Texas Tech-free thread.

Cotton

Staff member
Since ya'll took a giant shit in here, now might be the time to start the 2016 College Football Chatter thread.

A Texas Tech-free thread.
Texas Tech-free. Surely you jest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom