2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Did ND beat Florida St.?

What a train wreck since that disappointment. Talk about a season going downhill fast. Lost 4 of 5. Golson has regressed and the defense has been bad. And they can't make a FG when they need it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Can't believe one big fan hasn't jumped in with a comment about the college single game rushing record now belongs to an OU running back. He must have divorced the team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Not many schools can go after the hired guns on the defensive side of the ball. Tech wouldn't be a destination school for such a coach either. It is not as easy as simply dialing up the best guy out there and throwing some money at them.

It goes back to a few things that caused the problem.

Leach didn't care of defense. He only had a few competent defenses over the years. That pretty much set the tone for many years to come. Most schools that hit on a big year follow it up with strong recruiting at a push for expansion. Leach literally quit on the team after his big season. He stopped recruiting and began for using on other jobs.

Once leach was fired we brought in dumbo Tubs who turned out to be the absolute worst hire. That dipshat did nothing but set the program back with a terrible attitude. He couldn't hire a defensive guy to save his life. You are right about Glassgow in a way. He seemed like a smart hire because he was the top assistant at the best defensive school in the state. That dude was a mess, the next guy was fired for beating his wife. He was the LBer cosch from Alabama. So we have a string of failures:

2009 Ruff McNeil - left when Leach was fired. Now the head coach at East Carolina
2010 Dude from Alabama - fired for beating his wife
2011 Glassgow - top tcu coordinator fired for being a total nut job with a possible mental disorder
2012 Art Kaufman - respected coach from North Carolina that left when Tubs quit. He seemed solid and tried to get the mess back on track
2013 Wallerstadt - fired for coming to work high on something several times. He seemed like a competent coach. He was a LBer coach from aTm
2014 Mike Smith interim - Rex Ryan's pet assistant. He's been with Rex for several years and is very respected in the NFL. He knows his stuff well. He's been offered more NFL jobs since he's been there. If he stays he has a mess to clean up that will take multiple years.

One thing about being a college head coach that people glass over is the network that coaches bring. Kliff essentially has none. He hasn't built a network yet so he basically doesn't have anyone to reach out to. He is also a loner who keeps to himself. Young pride probably has bitten him some. He definitely will need to grow to make it. When Kliff came he spent a bunch of time trying to build a defensive staff. He had the dude that is the coordinator for Wisconsin on the hook until his old coach called him and stole him away at the last moment. Tell me this, would you rather come to a program that is historically bad on defense or go to Wisconsin to be a d coordinator? Can you blame the current tech staff for that? I don't know.

As far as hiring someone like Phil Bennett goes, that dude flunked out at smu as a coach and has never had any kind of ranked defense over at Baylor. Nobody says anything because that program is stable and wins lots of games. They haven't done anything amazing on that side of the ball.

I don't care who you hire this year the defense is going to suck. There are no players. None. Any player with any grit is 18 years old and can't lift a paper towel. Don't think folks understand that we literally had 4 18 year old kids starting on defense last night. They are the best that we have. The rest are JUCO players who were rejected from other places. They are basically retarded and cannot play.

It is a total mess right now. The answer isn't to hire some other coach right now. He won't be able to do much. Stability is the #1 priority.
It certainly is a factor. That is one of the disadvantages of hiring a rookie. If the problems hadn't been deeper in this case it still would have been a thing that would have to be overcame. A lot of inspiration and some luck needs to come into play.
All of that makes me wonder if Kingsbury really has a chance to succeed at TTU. From the way things look right now, it may be too big of a job for a young coach with no connections.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Can't believe one big fan hasn't jumped in with a comment about the college single game rushing record now belongs to an OU running back. He must have divorced the team.
I'm going to wait to see if he can hold it for more than 7 days before celebrating it. :lol

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
All of that makes me wonder if Kingsbury really has a chance to succeed at TTU. From the way things look right now, it may be too big of a job for a young coach with no connections.
I don't know. Back in the day you'd let a thing like this work itself out over time in some cases. Nobody has the patience for it anymore. The job might be too much. There is no doubt that the learning curve is pretty steep. I am wiling to wait it out with the knowledge that it is an amazingly tough challenge for an inexperienced coach. At this point I don't have any choice.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Btw, a Oklahoma City TV station is reporting that Gundy has reached out to Florida for the job there.

Told you, [MENTION=11]L.T. Fan[/MENTION]

Carp

DCC 4Life
Btw, a Oklahoma City TV station is reporting that Gundy has reached out to Florida for the job there.

Told you, [MENTION=11]L.T. Fan[/MENTION]
Weird that you would want to leave your alma mater. Not like OSU does not have big money and play in a somewhat legit conference.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Weird that you would want to leave your alma mater. Not like OSU does not have big money and play in a somewhat legit conference.
He's had problems with th administration and Pickens for a while.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He's had problems with th administration and Pickens for a while.
He's done a great job considering where he's recruiting to. He'd have a chance to go after a much deeper talent pool at Florida. I don't think he's going to ever win a national title at Okie State, he could definitely have a chance at one if he went to Florida.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
He's done a great job considering where he's recruiting to. He'd have a chance to go after a much deeper talent pool at Florida. I don't think he's going to ever win a national title at Okie State, he could definitely have a chance at one if he went to Florida.
Once he stepped back and let others coordinate things he became a really good coach.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Welp, ttu plays Baylor this week.

Im thinking I'll dig up the hydrocodone left over from when I broke my leg and just let it all go.

Hey, did I ever tell you guys the story about the time that I broke my leg?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom