MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You like this move, Carp? Giving up a 1st round pick for an aging bat whose numbers benefitted from Coors the past couple of seasons? I guess if they feel like he can really help them, but at this point in his career his ceiling in NY is at best what he did in Minnesota in 2011. The Mets really must feel like they are close to contending and with the arms they have maybe they are. Still, isn't there anyone else comparable they could have signed without forfeiting a pick?

Carp

DCC 4Life
You like this move, Carp? Giving up a 1st round pick for an aging bat whose numbers benefitted from Coors the past couple of seasons? I guess if they feel like he can really help them, but at this point in his career his ceiling in NY is at best what he did in Minnesota in 2011. The Mets really must feel like they are close to contending and with the arms they have maybe they are. Still, isn't there anyone else comparable they could have signed without forfeiting a pick?
Meh. This is Wright's butt buddy, so that is part of the reason they signed him. I do think he will remain productive over 2 years, just need to see the total for the deal before I can really say. One thing it does though is give us a legit RH 1B when they sit Duda vs tough lefties.

As far as giving up the pick...I am fine with it, we have quite a bit of talent coming up, so losing this one pick is not something I will freak about.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Meh. This is Wright's butt buddy, so that is part of the reason they signed him. I do think he will remain productive over 2 years, just need to see the total for the deal before I can really say. One thing it does though is give us a legit RH 1B when they sit Duda vs tough lefties.

As far as giving up the pick...I am fine with it, we have quite a bit of talent coming up, so losing this one pick is not something I will freak about.
3:29pm: Cuddyer’s contract is a two-year, $21MM pact, reports Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets that he’ll earn $8.5MM in 2015 and $12.5MM in 2016. Essentially, by turning down the qualifying offer, Cuddyer guaranteed himself an additional $5.7MM and a second year.

It's not too bad if he stays healthy. The #15 pick probably wouldn't net a future star anyway so it's not crazy to give that up, but I'd also be pretty "meh" about it if I were a Mets fan.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is not bad, but I was hoping more for 2/16. Hopefully it still gives us some wiggle room, although we can deal Colon and clear 10 mil. He'll have value.

The thing about Cuddyer is that he is consistent. If I had to guess he is going to hit .280, 15-20 HRs, and 80 RBIs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Mets, Rockies Discussing Troy Tulowitzki

By Steve Adams [November 10, 2014 at 3:43pm CST]

The Mets just announced a two-year deal for Michael Cuddyer, but Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that he isn’t the only significant right-handed bat that has the team’s eye. The Mets have had recent discussions with the Rockies about shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, Passan tweets. While they fear that they cannot afford to add him, the two sides are talking. Newsday’s Marc Carig spoke to a source who characterized the talks as “due diligence” at this point (Twitter link).

A move for Tulowitzki would be expensive both financially and in terms of prospects, but the Mets do have a large stockpile of the type of young pitching which the Rockies covet. Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom and Rafael Montero all offer varying degrees of upside, and none have even reached arbitration to this point. (Syndergaard has yet to even reach the Majors.) Jon Niese is on an affordable contract, and Dillon Gee had yet to become overly expensive.

While it’s a lot to read into the situation at this time, a Tulowitzki acquisition would mean doubling down on a pair of injury-prone right-handed bats, as he and Cuddyer have both struggled to stay on the field in recent seasons. Tulowitzki is owed $20MM annually through 2019, plus a $14MM salary in 2020 and at least the $4MM buyout of his $15MM club option for the 2021 season. That adds up to a sum of $118MM over the next six years, so it’s not hard to see why the club isn’t certain it can afford to acquire him.

Still, the Mets are better positioned than most clubs to take on a long-term commitment, at least in terms of the other long-term pacts already on the books. David Wright‘s extension was front-loaded, and $20MM salary drops to $15MM in 2019 and $12MM in 2020. That contract is the only one on the books for the Mets beyond 2017, though Curtis Granderson will earn $16MM in each of the next two seasons and $15MM in 2017.
---------
:skurred

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Tulo would be a big acquisition but is sure to cost a hefty package of prospects. One of the top arms (Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, de Grom) would have to go for sure. Well, I would assume anyway. The injury history is huge because he misses a shitload of games, but still he's the kind of bat that would really help any team out of a middle infield position. Expensive gamble for damn sure but maybe one the Mets should make. That would definitely be the impact bat you're looking for, Carp. You'd just have to hope he plays a lot more than he has the past few seasons.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am just hoping the Rockies like Montero more than I do. I will say this...I would give up Syndergaard in a deal for Tulo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I had no expectations for the guy...I thought he was a fringe guy who might be a long reliever/spot starter. Needless to say he exceeded expectations. Having a big 3 of Harvey, Wheeler, and deGrom is pretty nice to build with.
Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Giancarlo Stanton or GFY
Syndergaard concerns me...I think he will eventually start losing value. Kid cannot avoid the big inning...sometimes you have to pitch to contact, he needs to learn that.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Giancarlo Stanton or GFY
It would take a hell of a lot more than just Syndergaard to get Stanton. Even Tulo who is extremely injury prone & a 30 year old middle infielder would command Syndergaard +, but Stanton would fetch more than probably any bat in MLB that has any chance of moving in the next year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Syndergaard concerns me...I think he will eventually start losing value. Kid cannot avoid the big inning...sometimes you have to pitch to contact, he needs to learn that.
That's one reason I want the Cubs to get their 1-2 punch from free agency. Get pitchers who are proven over the long haul because you never know if a young pitcher is going to pan out or if he's going to need TJ soon.

Same thing with position players but with less injury risk. I'm a bit worried that Javy Baez is going to lose value because he strikes out a ton & doesn't walk. His BA was putrid last season but small sample size/first crack at majors so I'm not too worried yet. He could be a very special player or he could totally flame out. I'm starting to change my tune a little on him. I heard someone speculate that if the Cubs make a move for Cole Hamels that Baez would be the centerpiece to the trade. I'm not crazy about that, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that Baez may be the guy to move if they move a top prospect. I'm assuming that he'll go on to a HOF career if they trade him though. He does have crazy talent, so ideally they keep him & he pans out.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It would take a hell of a lot more than just Syndergaard to get Stanton. Even Tulo who is extremely injury prone & a 30 year old middle infielder would command Syndergaard +, but Stanton would fetch more than probably any bat in MLB that has any chance of moving in the next year.
Yeah you would basically have to empty the farm. Just too much to give up for one player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know much, but in my ignorant opinion I'd prefer to keep a devastating rotation of Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard.

You have other young arms that can be traded for decent bats.... Montero, Meijia, etc. Plus you have the money to lure players into town like Cuddyer.

Unless you can get a 25 year old 5 tool player, I wouldn't be thrilled about breaking up that sick rotation.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't know much, but in my ignorant opinion I'd prefer to keep a devastating rotation of Harvey-Wheeler-DeGrom-Syndergaard.

You have other young arms that can be traded for decent bats.... Montero, Meijia, etc. Plus you have the money to lure players into town like Cuddyer.

Unless you can get a 25 year old 5 tool player, I wouldn't be thrilled about breaking up that sick rotation.
Sounds like the Mets are working on a deal with Seattle for Brad Miller. Miller was a fashionable breakout SS among the sabermetrics nerds prior to last season but he kind of tanked. He has some potential and I can't imagine that it will cost any of those young pitchers to get him in trade. So far he has kind of flopped in Seattle but he's still only 25 so you never know.

Carp

DCC 4Life

How many front end starter do you need though? To get quality you have to give up quality. Baseball fans are the worst when it comes to the coveting of "can't miss" prospects...young arms in particular. Even if we did move Syndergaard we have Matz right there...and he makes more sense for the team because he is a lefty. If you look at the young pitching the Mets have...Harvey, Wheeler, deGrom, Montero, Matz, Mejia, Familia...with Colon, Gee, and Niese still on the roster. Not all those guys are going to be Mets.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sounds like the Mets are working on a deal with Seattle for Brad Miller. Miller was a fashionable breakout SS among the sabermetrics nerds prior to last season but he kind of tanked. He has some potential and I can't imagine that it will cost any of those young pitchers to get him in trade. So far he has kind of flopped in Seattle but he's still only 25 so you never know.
They offered Niese for him last year. I'd like to see them go after Owings from Az. As an aside...they acquire a SS and I am moving Murphy.

Top Bottom