2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As an aside...this playoff system has me more interested in college football than ever. Every game means something, long time coming, but this is going to be good.
Yup.

It really is inexcusable and ridiculous that we had to wait till 2014 to get a playoff. I mean, when you crown 2 teams a "national champion", then that is as clear an indicator as you need to show that the system is completely broken.

There can't be 2 champions - only 1 team can be the best so how was this nonsense allowed to go on for as long as it did? And I don't think it's hyperbole to say that College Football was responsible for the single most retarded rule I've ever heard of in sports - two undefeated teams couldn't play each other for the NC. :doh

This system was broken way before the BCS and their nonsense got involved, so I don't know how the hell they got away with this very flawed system for so many years.

I'd like to see a total of 8 teams (or at least 6) involved in the playoffs going forward, but this is a good start.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yup.

It really is inexcusable and ridiculous that we had to wait till 2014 to get a playoff. I mean, when you crown 2 teams a "national champion", then that is as clear an indicator as you need to show that the system is completely broken.

There can't be 2 champions - only 1 team can be the best so how was this nonsense allowed to go on for as long as it did? And I don't think it's hyperbole to say that College Football was responsible for the single most retarded rule I've ever heard of in sports - two undefeated teams couldn't play each other for the NC. :doh

This system was broken way before the BCS and their nonsense got involved, so I don't know how the hell they got away with this very flawed system for so many years.

I'd like to see a total of 8 teams (or at least 6) involved in the playoffs going forward, but this is a good start.
4 is the right number IMO. No matter how you slice it, the last 2 teams out are going to bitch and whine...whether that is 5 and 6 or 9 and 10.

Also, only taking 4 means that you will still have legit bowl games elsewhere.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
4 is the right number IMO. No matter how you slice it, the last 2 teams out are going to bitch and whine...whether that is 5 and 6 or 9 and 10.

Also, only taking 4 means that you will still have legit bowl games elsewhere.
I agree about the last 2 teams being left out thing, but 4 is still too low. Give 1&2 a bye week and let 3-6 get the 1st round or whatever. Either way, too many worthy one loss teams are gonna be left out in this setup.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yup.

It's all because a giant government bureaucracy full of entitled public employees has been running college football all these years. If they were businessmen who live in the real world, like the NFL, they'd have started a 16 team playoff back in 1950.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This season, the Crimson Tide are once again being analyzed by the playoff selection committee through the prism of a lone loss, as opposed to their wins. There was no shame in Alabama losing at Ole Miss, which the committee has ranked as the best two-loss team in the country. But Alabama has only one win over a team ranked in the top 20, which came Saturday night at LSU. And the Crimson Tide needed overtime to finish it off.

The two 8-1 teams in the Big 12, meanwhile, have better wins.

The Horned Frogs fell by a field goal at Baylor, which is on the short list of teams still in serious contention for a playoff spot. But TCU has also defeated opponents ranked No. 4, No. 15, No. 20 and No. 7 at the time. TCU beat 7-2 Minnesota in nonconference play as well.
So yea, TCU definitely deserve that spot over Alabama.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The media are Alabama whores plain and simple. They are addicted to the coahes as much as the team.
Yup.

There's no way anyone can look at what each team has done this season and come to conclusion that Alabama deserve to be ahead of TCU unless you have an SEC bias.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yup.

There's no way anyone can look at what each team has done this season and come to conclusion that Alabama deserve to be ahead of TCU unless you have an SEC bias.
Baylor would hang them out to dry. I think Baylor is the best in the Big 12 and would put Florida St. to shame.

D

Deuce

Baylor would hang them out to dry. I think Baylor is the best in the Big 12 and would put Florida St. to shame.
A week ago you thought K State was the best in the conference. Big 12 homers think whatever their flavor of the month is can hang with anyone. But, none of them have beaten anyone but each other. The only real out of conference games for the top tier of the Big 12 came against FSU and Auburn. Both L's.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A week ago you thought K State was the best in the conference. Big 12 homers think whatever their flavor of the month is can hang with anyone. But, none of them have beaten anyone but each other. The only real out of conference games for the top tier of the Big 12 came against FSU and Auburn. Both L's.
Anyone think K State is good enough to compete? I think they are the best ifn the conference currently. They are balanced and play almost mistake free

The above is what I said. I said "currently" Things change as events unfold.

D

Deuce

Anyone think K State is good enough to compete? I think they are the best ifn the conference currently. They are balanced and play almost mistake free

The above is what I said. I said "currently" Things change as events unfold.
Okay, we "currently" TCU, Baylor, West Virginia and K State have done nothing of merit other than beat each other up from a national perspective. Nobody else in the conference is worthy of a quality win and none of the their OOC wins are either.

One could argue the SEC does the same, but I would say 1. Their conference is better than the Big 12 so the scheduling is more difficult and 2. At least the few times their elite teams do schedule a tough OOC game, they win it. ie: Auburn v TCU.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay, we "currently" TCU, Baylor, West Virginia and K State have done nothing of merit other than beat each other up from a national perspective. Nobody else in the conference is worthy of a quality win and none of the their OOC wins are either.

One could argue the SEC does the same, but I would say 1. Their conference is better than the Big 12 so the scheduling is more difficult and 2. At least the few times their elite teams do schedule a tough OOC game, they win it. ie: Auburn v TCU.
Why don't you just back off a little. First of all I didn't say anything about the SEC . I was talking specifically about Alabama and how the media falls all over themselves over them and their coaches. The rest is your imaginary dialogue.

D

Deuce

Why don't you just back off a little. First of all I didn't say anything about the SEC . I was talking specifically about Alabama and how the media falls all over themselves over them and their coaches. The rest is your imaginary dialogue.
:lol

Okay, I didn't realize my opinion was too hostile for you. But it's not imaginary dialogue either. Every week this thread is littered with complaints about the Big 12 not getting respect in the polls and followed immediately by SEC bias posts.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

The SEC is clearly the elite league. There is no doubt about that. Your assessment is mostly true but let's not get all concrete about it. I seem to remember OU beating down the almighty Alabama recently, no? Those teams were ranked 6 and 7 and the time. OU didn't seem to have much of a problem putting up 45 on Alabama. We hear about all of this elite stuff constantly.

Like I said, on one hand I do agree that the SEC is the best conference, but come on man...

aTm rolls into the SEC with a Big 12 style spread/talent and rips the all world SEC defenses up. Same with Mizzu. I guarantee you with 100% certainty that once/if the spread eventually takes over the SEC there will be a whole lot of numbers being put up.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Okay, I didn't realize my opinion was too hostile for you. But it's not imaginary dialogue either. Every week this thread is littered with complaints about the Big 12 not getting respect in the polls and followed immediately by SEC bias posts.
:lol Is that right?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Deuce, I don't completely disagree with you here but you just might be exaggerating a bit, you think?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

When you hear one from me then feel free to respond.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The SEC is clearly the elite league. There is no doubt about that. Your assessment is mostly true but let's not get all concrete about it. I seem to remember OU beating down the almighty Alabama recently, no? Those teams were ranked 6 and 7 and the time. OU didn't seem to have much of a problem putting up 45 on Alabama. We hear about all of this elite stuff constantly.

Like I said, on one hand I do agree that the SEC is the best conference, but come on man...

aTm rolls into the SEC with a Big 12 style spread/talent and rips the all world SEC defenses up. Same with Mizzu. I guarantee you with 100% certainty that once/if the spread eventually takes over the SEC there will be a whole lot of numbers being put up.
Exactly.

I've never complained about the Big 12 not getting respect, just that there is an SEC bias and there is. It is the best conference in all of college football, but that doesn't mean that it isn't overrated or that certain aspects are not as great as some would have you believe.

[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] - you can say what you want about the Big 12 beating each other up, and that's fine, but what you can't argue is what these various teams have been ranked. TCU has beaten 4 teams in the top 20 while Alabama has just recently beaten their first. No matter how you slice it, there's no way Alabama merits a spot above TCU based on what each team has accomplished this season.

D

Deuce

aTm also rolled in with a Heisman winner QB and an all world elite WR. What about them this year with above average talent? Once they hit the tough part of their schedule, there were many weeks their scheme wasn't worth a damn. It's less about the scheme and more about the players and with the speed and skill of some SEC defenses, the spread can be held down.

Hell, UCF doesn't have SEC talent on D but they played sound, defensive football and held Baylor to a respectable amount last year when Baylor was dropping 60-70 on a regular basis. Another example was the 2011 BCS title game. Oregon rolls in with their unbeatable spread and get held to 19 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The turnovers are the bigger problem. He can't play against anything other than subpar defenses. He shits the bed every time he plays against a good defense.

I don't believe in taking fliers on players. No draft pick should ever be wasted on a project.

Robinson has route and concentration issues, but he's young. He was running some really lazy routes on Saturday and dropped a few easy balls.
Yep, he craps the bed way too easily and has had a problem with protecting the ball since he's been starting. I don't believe in taking fliers on players either but there are always teams that will. It's true that Robinson can be inconsistent but he's only a sophomore and has room to grow. He's also slow off the line but he usually has good hands and body control. He might be able to bulk up some and play TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom