Which coach would you hire if you could fire Jason Garrett?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't give a shit. He has been more than solid his entire career. Just because he was VP of football operations when Weeden was drafted means nothing to me as far as his ability as a coach.
Yeah, let's just get more antiquated. Can we run the T-Formation or the Single Wing or the Wing-T? Let's get Sid Luckman in here to run the show.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It means a lot to me if we are in the same position the Browns were when he took over. They needed a QB. He reached for that dork. Screw the Walrus.
I'd take him in a heartbeat over this bullshit we are strutting out there now, and have for a decade.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, let's just get more antiquated. Can we run the T-Formation or the Wing-T? Let's get Sid Luckman in here to run the show.
Don't be an idiot. Carolina runs the wishbone on occasion. Would you hate their offense here?

Cotton

Staff member
Do you know who is running it? Mike Fucking Shula. Yes I would hate it.
Then you are retarded. I would give anything for that offense here. Tailor-made for him or not, it is well-built and extremely well-run.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Do you know who is running it? Mike Fucking Shula. Yes I would hate it.
I think you might have this Shula kid confused for the one that sucked for us and ended up running his Deddy's steakhouses in shame.

He flamed out in Cincy, but he has this offense running very well and it is tailored very well to the personnel.

This is a well designed offense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd take him in a heartbeat over this bullshit we are strutting out there now, and have for a decade.
You would get old man Holmgren for at most a year or two while he tries to clean up the mess.

Then probably Mora's kid like he tried to do in Seattle before they wised up.

In Cleveland, he had Mangini and Pat fricking Shurmur?

Um, no.

D

Deuce

I'm still on the Bryan Shaw bandwagon but love Dantonio as well.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Dantonio, maybe. He's done a great job with MSU and just seems to have the coaches' version of "it". No to Holmgren, Gruden. Why does his name come up whenever there is a coaching vacancy anywhere? Talk about removed the game, even if he's relatively young. I mean, he had a couple good years in Oakland caught lightning in a bottle with a largely inherited team to win the SB but after that? Meh.

No to Kelly. He's a good recruiter/salesman/CFB politician but that's it, IMO.

No short term mercenaries like Holmgren would be. Saban could turn out like Petey, who basically flopped in the pros, honed his craft at USC and has been largely successful but why leave the gig he has where he can throw a perennial contender together, seemingly with ease?

An "A" type personality like Parcells is what this team needs but which one would go for the job knowing the owner/GM's propensity for making sure he's intimately involved in all decisions?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Why would we want a college coach? They have a horrid track record. Unless it's a guy who also spent time in the pros like O'Brien or Carroll, I wouldn't be interested.

Cotton

Staff member
You would get old man Holmgren for at most a year or two while he tries to clean up the mess.

Then probably Mora's kid like he tried to do in Seattle before they wised up.

In Cleveland, he had Mangini and Pat fricking Shurmur?

Um, no.
Then who? A college prospect? Dantonio is the only one I care to even think about.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Then who? A college prospect? Dantonio is the only one I care to even think about.
I have made it clear in this thread and in others that I would back up a fucking Brinks truck for Dantonio.

But I don't think he would want to come here, nor would Jerry want that.

He want guys he knows. He really desires guys comfortable with the ambiguity.

I sometimes hate "what if" situations and the discussions that arise because they are so damn frustrating.

We all know that we aren't like any other team.

We all know that we can't have nice things.

We all know we are eternally fucked as long as Jerry breathes and maybe beyond if his spawn aren't pragmatic.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Here's another name: Mike Shanahan.
Yeah I wondered about him, too. Supposedly he and Jerry get along, and of course you'd have the Romo connection.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think you might have this Shula kid confused for the one that sucked for us and ended up running his Deddy's steakhouses in shame.

He flamed out in Cincy, but he has this offense running very well and it is tailored very well to the personnel.

This is a well designed offense.
I agree he's suddenly doing pretty well, but that family was given a million chances to do well including his brother Dave, the steakhouse guy. I don't trust that he suddenly knows how to coach. Just call it burned fingers from the guy we had to fire in the 90s who thought handing off to Emmitt Smith was a bad idea.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think I give Mike Holmgren a call. He's only been out of the league a couple of years, and I don't think he would bow to Jerry's will.
I think he would bow down to Jerry much more in his desperation to be a coach again.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Of the retreads I would look at Shannahan, Pat Shurmur and just to watch the fireworks Gruden

My personal top pick would be Keith Butler but would consider Teryl Austin and Adam Gase

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Pat Shurmur????!?

I could get behind Gase. Butler Is an interesting name as well.

Top Bottom