Must See Movies

D

Deuce

So, we are going to watch Star Wars tomorrow and wanted to watch the 4-6, or at least ESB and ROTJ before we go. Anyone know a decent site to watch them for free? We found them in On Demand but they were 20 bucks each.
Putlocker.is

D

Deuce

Yeah, almost all of them do. I generally don't touch those sites, but it's Star Wars.
Just don't download anything. The movie comes up in a streaming box so I just click that. Some pop ups to get through, but apple products easily let you delete them. Just watch TESB on it yesterday.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Just watched the new Star Wars. I liked it a lot.

But...

Damn. It felt like a piece of my childhood died. RIP Han.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was so happy with The Force Awakens. I acknowledge that it shared quite a bit from A New Hope, but I think they had to play it safe after the horrid prequels. I thought the casting was excellent and look forward to where they go from here.

A few things:
Han Solo was great again. Still had that edge to him, but tempered a little by age. When he put his hand to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo's face as he was being struck down...damn, that was great to watch, but tough to watch.

Finn and Poe were excellent...Poe is kind of the Han Solo for this trilogy.

Obviously Rey has Jedi in her family tree...Luke looks like he could be her father, but I could see her somehow as a descendent of Obi Wan. They have positioned her as the leader character and I think she can pull it off...she was excellent.

I am curious to see what happens with Kylo Ren...killing his father pushes him further to the dark side. He got beat down by Rey, so I am sure Snoke is going to train him up more...I just can't see him taking that butt whipping without him getting his revenge on her.

I am curious about Snoke...they use that projection thing to make him huge, but I am wondering just how big he really is and where he stands as a Sith or whatever they are now.

junk

Not So New Member
More Star Wars
I'm betting the first part of the next meeting is showing the training (or the result of) the training of Rey and Ren.

Second part of the trilogy is usually when it looks the worst for the heroes....so, Ren gets his revenge and sets up the final part of the trilogy. Bye Luke.

Supposedly, there was some quote I saw somewhere that they said Snoke, in real life, was like 7 foot tall and super skinny. Serkis said doing him in any way other than motion capture was impractical.

Non-spoiler Star Wars stuff. I think the stand alone Han Solo film is scheduled for 2018. I'm encouraged by the casting they did for The Force Awakens, but that is one they have to get right.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Saw it today, below are my thoughts:

I thought it was extremely well done. I think it ties two generations together and continues the story well by continuing family lines plus Jedi lines at the same time.

Second, I think Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. Twin to Ren. It fits the New Hope mirror. Not sure I'm happy with that mirror, but since Abrams went that route, I think they did well pulling it off. I really liked Rey's character. She was fantastic, which leads to good things in the series, IMO.

The Luke scene at the end gave me chills. Mainly because I was a Luke mark in the first 3. Just really well done.

dallen

Senior Tech
They are putting together a 3rd Bill and Ted's movie. Some will say feh, but I'm game.
Keanu can still make a decent movie. John Wick was great. I don't think Alex Winter has acted in this century

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think Rey an Ben are brother and sister...possibly cousins if she is Luke's daughter. I think she is related to Obi Wan...you could hear the McGregor Obi Wan when she was having those force visions. It would be weird for Han and Leia to acknowledge Ben is their kid, but not acknowledge Rey.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think Rey an Ben are brother and sister...possibly cousins if she is Luke's daughter. I think she is related to Obi Wan...you could hear the McGregor Obi Wan when she was having those force visions. It would be weird for Han and Leia to acknowledge Ben is their kid, but not acknowledge Rey.
You might be right. I just got that vibe that they were related and because of all of the New Hope similarities I just automatically assumed brother/sister.

dallen

Senior Tech
I agree
Either related to Luke or Obi Wan or both

Jiggyfly

Banned
Rewatched Prometheus, if you view it as a stand alone movie and not a Alien prequel it's a good movie IMO.

Black Seas is a ok watch if you're looking for something you have not seen.

I really liked Bad Words and I think Jason Bateman is a seriously underrated actor.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So after a 4-6 Star Wars marathon this past weekend I took my 12 year old daughter to see the new one. Most of the plot stuff you guys have already talked about here so I won't get into it. I thought they did a really good job with it and even though much was rehashed it didn't necessarily feel like it. Whenever my daughter gets sad in a movie she calls it getting the "feels". Despite not having the attachment many of us have for the series, she did get the "feels" really bad! :buddy

D

Deuce

The Hateful 8...it was ok, nothing more.
I thought it was good, but damn was the first half of the movie slow. Typically I can wait it out if I think it will payoff at the end, but when the movie is 3 hours long it tests my patience.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Star Wars was great.

I was very impressed and cannot wait to see what else is in store for the next two.

Here's something to wonder about...

Both Ren and Rey were capable of doing things with their jedi power that we had never seen before.

It's clear Ren doesn't have a full grasp of his powers yet, but being able to stop blaster rifle shots in midair and his use of force while interrogating were very impressive considering he's still relatively young.

And Rey? Could she possibly be the most naturally gifted jedi of all time? I mean, she basically learned how to harness her power on her own without any sort of training. That's the difference between her and every other jedi - she did not receive any training.

Either way, it's going to be an epic battle when those two do battle at the height of their powers.

dallen

Senior Tech
Star Wars was great.

I was very impressed and cannot wait to see what else is in store for the next two.

Here's something to wonder about...

Both Ren and Rey were capable of doing things with their jedi power that we had never seen before.

It's clear Ren doesn't have a full grasp of his powers yet, but being able to stop blaster rifle shots in midair and his use of force while interrogating were very impressive considering he's still relatively young.

And Rey? Could she possibly be the most naturally gifted jedi of all time? I mean, she basically learned how to harness her power on her own without any sort of training. That's the difference between her and every other jedi - she did not receive any training.

Either way, it's going to be an epic battle when those two do battle at the height of their powers.
My guess is that Luke had a big crisis of faith after Kylo\Ben went to the dark side and decided training Jedi was too dangerous. Rey was probably a padawan at the time and Luke decided to wipe her mind using the Force and put her on an out of the way planet for her safety and to keep her from following Kylo's path. He implanted a desire to stay on Jakku and avoid any kind of Force-related things like lightsabers. He also left Max von Sydow's character on Jakku to watch over her and given him the map in case she started to go to the Dark Side so he could contact Luke. I think when Kylo was trying to Force read her mind he inadvertently unlocked the memories Luke had hidden away because he was trying to find out where Luke was. She already knew, but not because she had seen the map - because she had been there as a child. That's all a total guess, but I think it makes sense and would be a better story than coincidentally having a Jedi savant on the same planet as the map to Luke.

edit - I'm also not convinced Kylo Ren will be the character Rey fights at the height of her power. I think Kylo\Ben will turn back at the end of the next one and then he and Rey will team up to defeat Snoke in the third movie. They are already planting the idea that he isn't as committed to this as Vader was.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think this is correct.

Top Bottom