Texas man, 72, dies trapped inside his Corvette dream car

Carp

DCC 4Life
He must have been pretty feeble. I think I could get sideways in a car and kick out a window glass. That said maybe he was bare foot.. It's even possible he wouldn't allow the glass to be broken since this was his dream car. Still it is a bizzaro story.
Who drives barefoot?

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...he wears shoes to bed.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I have a friend that owns one of those high tech new Vettes. It is a really cool car to drive.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The sad thing about this old man & his dog dying in the goddamn parking lot is that the first responders totally failed to grasp the severity of the situation. Seems like maybe they were trying to get the door open when they should have just smashed the window. Hard to totally blame them but, damn, just unfortunate circumstances.
Yeah this is the part I still do not understand, how do you stand around and watch somebody dying and not break a window and why were no police or EMT called or were they there and they did not act fast enough either.

Jiggyfly

Banned
After more reading it seems he might have been alone trying to get out for sometime before anybody noticed his predicament.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He couldn't honk the horn over and over to get people's attention?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
There are release handles on each side of each seat in case of a power failure. There's also a manual hatch release right behind the drivers seat on the back inside fender well.

The dealer usually goes over all this stuff before someone takes delivery of the car.

Obviously the guy was unaware of any of this.

To be fair though the handles are pretty inconspicuous.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There are release handles on each side of each seat in case of a power failure. There's also a manual hatch release right behind the drivers seat on the back inside fender well.

The dealer usually goes over all this stuff before someone takes delivery of the car.

Obviously the guy was unaware of any of this.

To be fair though the handles are pretty inconspicuous.
Amazingly stupid design not to just have the door handles always work from the inside. I'm thinking there's a lawsuit in this for Chevy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Amazingly stupid design not to just have the door handles always work from the inside. I'm thinking there's a lawsuit in this for Chevy.
The door handles are apparently only able to activate electronic release switches. I guess that's the reason for the manual ones beside the seats.

townsend

Banned
Car companies have had to pay out the ass for way less dangerous design flaws. They're gonna pay some pretty huge checks that they probably already budgeted for before.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Car companies have had to pay out the ass for way less dangerous design flaws. They're gonna pay some pretty huge checks that they probably already budgeted for before.
Depends. The legal question is was the design bad and caused or contributed to the failure or did the operator fail to engage it properly. If the system worked it becomes nebulaus as to whether the design was at fault.

Top Bottom