MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Was ok with the signing at the time. Absolutely love it now. We won't be able to afford Desmond now so not even going to get my hopes up. Problem is Brinson has stumbled out of the gate. I wouldn't worry too much except he started off slow after he was drafted as well and then had a good season and a half. Now slow start again. Don't know what to expect from him but the other high priced players and attempting to resign Yu is going to force the cheap player at other positions. Which is the rookie at cheap salary and years of control.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Oh and I don't see a move to the outfield for Profar either. I think they try to move Elvis after he seems to have built more value this season.

D

Deuce

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Tampa Bay Rays[/FONT]: 3B Joshua Lowe, Pope (Ga.) HS

Callis: Lowe has some of the best all-around tools in this high school class. He has plus raw power, plus speed, plus arm, and a chance to be a good defender at third base or even center field. There are some mild concerns about the bat, but if for some reason that doesn't work out, he also has huge upside on the mound. I got Adam Wainwright comps from scouts about him this spring.

Yes, please. :towel

Rev

Staff member
Its clear that the Rangers won the first round.

Rev

Staff member
Bargain-hunting teams scored in free agent market

Ian Desmond (Texas Rangers) -- Desmond and the Rangers agreed on a one-year deal for $8 million where he would move from his natural position of shortstop, which he played for the Washington Nationals, to the outfield. He has paid off huge so far with a .305/.350/.477 slash line with 41 runs, seven homers and 34 RBIs in 53 games played for the AL West leaders.

Steve Cishek (Seattle Mariners) --

Daniel Murphy (Washington Nationals) –

John Jaso (Pittsburgh Pirates) –

Chris Carter (Milwaukee Brewers) –

Rich Hill (Oakland A's) --

Colby Lewis (Texas Rangers) -- The right-hander returned to the Rangers on a one-year deal for $6 million after a 17-win season in 2015. Lewis is 36, so he might not have gotten either a multiyear deal or a bigger salary. Still, the club has to be feeling good about him at 5-0 with a 3.09 ERA.

Fernando Rodney (San Diego Padres) –

Bartolo Colon (New York Mets) –

Dexter Fowler (Chicago Cubs) –

http://www.wptz.com/sports/bargainhu...arket/39915780

Ol Suck Ass getting some press.

Rev

Staff member
Evidently the other teams don't want to compete as the Rangers take round 2 as well.

Rev

Staff member
Cant post the article off my phone but since we are doing comps the comp of the kid we took in the second round is Dwight Gooden.

Yes, please.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, Machado gets 4 for punching Ventura, but Odor got 8 for punching Bitchtista? Why? Cause he landed the punch more cleanly? Jesus, just some consistency is all I ask.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't know if other organizations follow the same philosophy but looking at their last several MLB draft classes, it looks like the Braves are trying way too hard to replicate the pitching success they had throughout the 90s. If you look at their draft classes, about 70% of their top 10-15 picks are used on pitchers.

It's as if finding every day positional players is an afterthought for them. They haven't had a dynamic everyday player/big bat come through the farm system since the 90s. They've had a few nice players here and there like McCann, Freeman, and Heyward, but aside from McCann it's been a long time since they've drafted a player who you could legitimately make an argument that he was the best player at his position.

It's as if they forgot that even though we had Glavine, Maddox, and Smoltz leading the way, we still had some of the game's better hitters in our lineup. Chipper Jones, McGriff, Galarraga, Andrew Jones, Dave Justice, Javy Lopez, Kenny Lofton, Klesko, etc.

Their current draft strategy is probably the main reason that they've been one of the worst hitting teams in the league over the past 5 or so years.

I don't follow the MLB draft prospects that closely but I think they need to balance out the weight of their draft class and target more everyday players with those early round picks.

Rev

Staff member
It seems the Rangers lean towards pitching as well. We tend to use the international market for our hitters. Well at least until they made the changes to how the international signing pool works.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It seems the Rangers lean towards pitching as well. We tend to use the international market for our hitters. Well at least until they made the changes to how the international signing pool works.
At least the Rangers appear to be finding nice pieces on the international market. The Braves can't even get that right. Instead we're treated to FA trash like Melvin Upton & Dan Uggla.

If they were finding good talent overseas then obviously the draft strategy wouldn't be an issue. But they can't so.....

Rev

Staff member
We signed a Cuban 2nd basman last season that is going crazy at the plate. Nice trade chip for one of your relievers.

Rev

Staff member
At least the Rangers appear to be finding nice pieces on the international market. The Braves can't even get that right. Instead we're treated to FA trash like Melvin Upton & Dan Uggla.

If they were finding good talent overseas then obviously the draft strategy wouldn't be an issue. But they can't so.....
I believe they were all signed before the changes. We probably wouldn't have all three of the changes were in place.

Rev

Staff member
Gallo is walking more, has halved his K Rate, 1.077 OPS at AAA, around .290 BA, and is playing 1st base. See you in Arlington soon.

D

Deuce

Cant post the article off my phone but since we are doing comps the comp of the kid we took in the second round is Dwight Gooden.

Yes, please.
It is, but only cause the kid already has a coke habit coming out of high school.

Rev

Staff member
I refuse to acknowledge Ichiro as the Hit King.

That is all.

Rev

Staff member
So Rangers are seriously considering Kyle Lohse as a bullpen piece. :budd

His numbers at AAA are horrible. I guess it's better than as a starter but surely he isn't the answer.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Both Velasquez and Appel are injured and Appel was struggling mightily before getting hurt.

Giles is still inconsistent but that trade is working out like I thought it would.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ole suckass with a no no through 8 1/3, and ended up with a 2 hit complete game win.

D

Deuce

Ole suckass with a no no through 8 1/3, and ended up with a 2 hit complete game win.
What a disgrace to the game of baseball had he completed it. I probably wouldn't have watched another game all season.

Top Bottom