Cowboys Acquire WR Brice Butler

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Only Raiders game I had available was the finale against Seattle. He ran a a lot of fly routes and got open big time on one and dropped the ball because he was afraid he was going to get lit up by the safety.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I can't think of a team around the league, save for maybe the Patriots, that have hit on more free agent moves than we have under the "McClay era"
The Patriots have been terrible for the most part.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think this is a guy who can at least threaten the secondary deep, Williams probably starts taking the intermediate Dez stuff like he did in the offseason.

We will still struggle with WR play.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
Butler's competing with Street. Right now Street is a starter as Beasley is basically limited to the slot only. Think we'll see a heavy dose of Escobar while Bryant is out as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Butler's competing with Street. Right now Street is a starter as Beasley is basically limited to the slot only. Think we'll see a heavy dose of Escobar while Bryant is out as well.
Oh boy, that healthy dose of Escobar really has me all excited.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Our 5th will be at the end of the round and their pick will be near the top of the 6th...so maybe we drop 10-15 spots in this deal. BFD

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I am (pleasently) surprised that we are not reading that AJ Jenkins or one of the other retreads was brought back. Also, didn't the Raiders cut James Jones? Maybe Oakland is located in Bazarro World?

GShock

DCC 4Life
High sparq score, I bet. We seem to be focusing on that in some of these personnel moves.

I imagine he showed up a lot when we were vetting Pablo.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am (pleasently) surprised that we are not reading that AJ Jenkins or one of the other retreads was brought back. Also, didn't the Raiders cut James Jones? Maybe Oakland is located in Bazarro World?
The Giants blew it by releasing Jones...he knows McAdoo's offense and Parker sucked on SNF.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'll trust our pro scouting department, they have had a lot more hits than misses lately. If nothing else, Butler is a burner and I'd rather have his athleticism and speed out there than Street, who brings basically nothing to the table.

Exactly. Gotta trust the guys that make the big bucks. Guy has size and speed, and will be a nice target for Romo. At worst, its a stopgap or fail till Dez gets back. At best you get another burner to pair with Dez and Williams when Dez gets back. I like it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. Gotta trust the guys that make the big bucks. Guy has size and speed, and will be a nice target for Romo. At worst, its a stopgap or fail till Dez gets back. At best you get another burner to pair with Dez and Williams when Dez gets back. I like it.
I like the addition of speed and athletic ability to our WR core. The cost is low and the upside is great. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a WR who struggled in that shit whole Oakland but who excells with a real QB like Romo. You're not going to replace Dez but maybe you can get a big play WR to play on the outside in our 3 WR sets.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I like the addition of speed and athletic ability to our WR core. The cost is low and the upside is great. I wouldn't be surprised to see this as a WR who struggled in that shit whole Oakland but who excells with a real QB like Romo. You're not going to replace Dez but maybe you can get a big play WR to play on the outside in our 3 WR sets.
I'm a little concerned that we don't have an offense tailored around throwing a deep ball. I mean, it just really never seems to happen. But, I also think theres not been any real speed at WR like what this guy brings. I hope Linehan takes advantage of it.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't know much about this guy, but our 5th for Oakland's 6th shouldn't be too big of a drop

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'm a little concerned that we don't have an offense tailored around throwing a deep ball. I mean, it just really never seems to happen. But, I also think theres not been any real speed at WR like what this guy brings. I hope Linehan takes advantage of it.
The deep ball isn't a staple of our offense, but the defense still has to respect it if there's somebody on the field that can take the top of the D. We do go deep once in awhile... Dez has a few deep TDs to his name that weren't just YAC. And having somebody with Butler's speed will help keep that safety from cheating up in the box to stop the run.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The deep ball isn't a staple of our offense, but the defense still has to respect it if there's somebody on the field that can take the top of the D. We do go deep once in awhile... Dez has a few deep TDs to his name that weren't just YAC. And having somebody with Butler's speed will help keep that safety from cheating up in the box to stop the run.
Yeah unfortunately Butler doesn't appear to be the type to turn a short pass into a long play. Still speed can't be coached, do that's good at least.

Jiggyfly

Banned
With all the trouble we had getting WR blocks, I wonder if this guy is being brought in to help out in that department.

His size and him playing special teams seems to point to him being physical.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah unfortunately Butler doesn't appear to be the type to turn a short pass into a long play. Still speed can't be coached, do that's good at least.
I'm not talking about him taking a short pass to the house. I'm talking about sending him on a fly and utilizing that deep speed. Keeping the safties back out of the running lanes.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I doubt he even plays much WR for a few weeks at least.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I don't know much about this guy, but our 5th for Oakland's 6th shouldn't be too big of a drop
That's where I'm at. There is something they like about the guy. My guess is that chances are much greater he makes little to no impact than turns into some sort of Laurent Robinson gem of a find, but the cost is minimal so why not give it a shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom