Divisional Round Playoff Chatter | Cowboys vs Packers | 1/11/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They're leaving too much open to interpretation. That's the bottom line.

It should be as it was...simple. Two touches. one knee, foot, hand, or a combination thereof.
Thats the problem. Nobody calls it the same every time.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I only have a couple things to say.

First...what a catch- and it WAS a catch-by Bryant. If lunging for the goal line is not a "football move" then I'm not sure what is. He clearly had possession of the ball, and was trying to leap into the end zone.

Second...If the Cowboys had a legitimate edge rusher, I believe they win this game going away. Rodgers had all day in the pocket in the 2nd half. Thats what ultimately cost us the game.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Immediately after one of the more gut-wrenching losses in recent memory, Cowboys fans found out one of their best coaches could be departing.

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is "expected" to join Lovie Smith's staff with the Buccaneers, according to an unnamed source. The report says he would probably serve as defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay, too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm kinda looking forward to the offseason, free agency and draft talk.

Probably because I never believed this team could actually go all the way but with a strong offseason, coupled with some defections from Seattle/New England.... maybe it can.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm sure it's been discussed, but that 3 play sequence at the end of the half was killer. 3 really poor coaching decisions that was three and possibly a 10 point swing.

We never should have called the timeout after the Witten where the spot got reviewed.

Never should have thrown the ball on 3rd and 1 on the next play.

Never should have attempted a 50 yard field goal on the next play after the false start.

we're trying to score, but it's equally important to make sure they don't get the ball back.

We had 3rd and 1 in makeable fg range with 40 seconds left.

Somehow we gave them the ball near midfield with 30 seconds still left. That's a really bad sequence of coaching.

Genghis Khan

I'm kinda looking forward to the offseason, free agency and draft talk.

Probably because I never believed this team could actually go all the way but with a strong offseason, coupled with some defections from Seattle/New England.... maybe it can.
I never thought they could...til today.

They had a real chance to win today. Do that, I believe very strongly they beat Seattle.

I think the stat that they put up that GB hadn't trailed at home since week 2 was very telling. They trailed like half the game today to us. We had them on the ropes.

Even with all of our flaws, we are every bit as good as anyone this year. It's a shame it had to end this way.

As an aside, what a huge loss that redskins game was. We would have beaten Carolina yesterday, and would likely be preparing to play Seattle in Dallas next week had we won that first redskins game like we should have.

Last edited:

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I'm sure it's been discussed, but that 3 play sequence at the end of the half was killer. 3 really poor coaching decisions that was three and possibly a 10 point swing.

We never should have called the timeout after the Witten where the spot got reviewed.

Never should have attempted a 50 yard field goal on the next play after the false start.

we're trying to score, but it's equally important to make sure they don't get the ball back.

Somehow we gave them the ball near midfield with 30 seconds still left. That's a really bad sequence of coaching.
I agree with most, but why not attempt 50 harder. Well within Bailey's range. Did you want to go for it? Or punt from 33?

Genghis Khan

I agree with most, but why not attempt 50 harder. Well within Bailey's range. Did you want to go for it? Or punt from 33?

You punt and make them go the length of the field with 30 seconds left if they want to score.

No way you attempt a 50 yarder in that situation. It's cold, it's grass, bailey had just missed the closer one nullified by the false start, and Bailey has been struggling a little as of late to beggin with. The odds were not in our favor there.

Meanwhile a miss means GB gets the bal close to midfield with plenty of time left.

We should've been more than happy going in to halftime with a touchdown lead there.

jootep

Brand New Member
I hate how people are pointing to the rule book. Who gives a fuck about the rule book when Dez had clear possession of the ball and dove towards the goal line.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I feel like there were alot of plays in this game that could have gone either way, most of which that went the Packers way, and that's why it kept the game close, allowing Rodgers to come up with a few spectacular throws to win it. If some of those bounces go the other way, we probably win by 10-17.

You have the Murray fumble, not a great play by the defense, Peppers basically just brushed the ball as he went by and it happened to pop out. Happens a million times a game but it just so happened to cause a fumble, on a play that is probably a 30+ yard run at that. Then you have the fumbled kickoff after we went up 21-13, Hanna jumps on it, it pops out and Green Bay gets it back, probably costing us at least 3, maybe 7.

Combine this with the fact that both of Rodgers second half TD's were threaded perfectly and were about a split second from being batted away, and this is what you get. I feel like the Packers were inconsistent today but Rodgers came up with a couple of amazing throws, throws that maybe no other QB in the league could make, combine that with the fact that they got a couple bounces and that's why it was close enough for the refs to screw us. A couple bounces go the other way, or if Rodgers doesn't thread a couple of unbelievable passes, and I believe we win going away.

Hell, even when we were set to get the ball back with about 2 minutes left Rodgers gets his pass batted on 3rd and 11 but it somehow finds Cobb despite the fact that the ball was damn near going end over end.

I feel like we played well for the most part, we missed some opportunities to put them away, but I feel like it took some great plays from Rodgers, a couple lucky bounces and of course one complete horse shit call for them to barely beat us at home. Considering where this season started, I can't really complain about that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You punt and make them go the length of the field with 30 seconds left if they want to score.

No way you attempt a 50 yarder in that situation. It's cold, it's grass, bailey had just missed the closer one nullified by the false start, and Bailey has been struggling a little as of late to beggin with. The odds were not in our favor there.

Meanwhile a miss means GB gets the bal close to midfield with plenty of time left.

We should've been more than happy going in to halftime with a touchdown lead there.
I disagree. That's coaching scared. We have a kicker that for the most part, is very reliable. And that's in his range. If Garrett had elected to punt there, people would have been screaming from the rooftops about what a gutless decision it was. You have to trust your players to perform. They didn't. That's not on Garrett.

And I don't really blame him for that timeout, either. The play was bang bang, and we were trying to score a TD. It's easy for us to see the spot was bad, as the TV camera is always at a 90 degree angle to the play. The coaches don't have that instant gratification of seeing the spot as it's happening.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Just finished watching the last 3 episodes of Boardwalk Empire to try to take my mind off and I'm still pissed.

Had the pass been incomplete and Rodgers marched them down the field to put us away, It would not have pissed me off.

But gees!

kidd

DCC 4Life
On another note, is every HBO Original program just depressing as hell?

First my team gets screwed, then I sit and watch a once enjoyable series end like it did.

Depressed and pissed all at the same time.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Those who have high hopes for next year could just be fooling themselves.

I'm afraid the window has slammed shut. Our team did well enough for Garrett to get extended. I can see a letdown next year similar to 2010 after making the playoffs in 2009. That's why I was really hoping for a Super Bowl win this year.

I hope I'm wrong on this like I was when I predicted 5-11.

Carl

RIP Brother

Don't talk nonsense. We called the time out to stop the clock after the officials gave us a first down. It was the correct decision to call time out there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Those who have high hopes for next year could just be fooling themselves.

I'm afraid the window has slammed shut. Our team did well enough for Garrett to get extended. I can see a letdown next year similar to 2010 after making the playoffs in 2009. That's why I was really hoping for a Super Bowl win this year.

I hope I'm wrong on this like I was when I predicted 5-11.
I wouldn't be shocked if a collapse like that happened, although if it doesn't and we win 10-12 games again I will feel totally confident in Garrett going forward. I'd be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind though. That 2009 team kind of blew it's load when they beat the Eagles twice in a row and had nothing left going into 2010.

It's hard to say what I think will happen next year although I don't think the window is shut at all. If we have a strong off-season/draft I think we should be a playoff team again as long as we are relatively healthy. I will say that this team doesn't feel like that 2009 team though. That 2009 team meandered a bit through the first couple months and then were galvanized by that win against the Saints, which carried them through those Eagles games. That run seemed much more emotional than this season where we were much more consistently dominant throughout the entire season, basically only losing when Romo was hobbled or out completely.

That 2009 team did not lay it on teams like we did against the Colts, nor did they have any performances as impressive as the win in Seattle. I can't really describe the gut sense I have comparing the two teams, to me it seemed the 2009 team rode an emotional wave for a few weeks and had nothing left after avenging the ass-whipping from the Eagles at the end of 2008, this team seemed to have a much more determined, resilient demeanor throughout the season, something that's more sustainable going forward.

Carl

RIP Brother
Not only did the officials get the Bryant catch incorrect; but if they ruled it incomplete, they robbed the Cowboys of about 25 seconds of game time. Double dosage of nonsense.

Carl

RIP Brother
Seems like today, the 12th will be a cathartic day for me. End of another Cowboys season, the anniversary of my marriage that didn't work (I still blame Campo) and I am quitting my job today with a company I have been with since 1999, with no idea what the future holds.

Happy 12th everyone.

Genghis Khan

Don't talk nonsense. We called the time out to stop the clock after the officials gave us a first down. It was the correct decision to call time out there.
That's not at all nonsense. There were 40 seconds left and it wasn't a long play. No reason to call a time out. We had plenty of time and were already in field goal range, but we should have been mindful of not wanting to give Green Bay the ball back with time left. We already had a touchdown lead. You have to understand that the worst thing there isn't not scoring, it's letting GB score since they get the ball after halftime.

Genghis Khan

I disagree. That's coaching scared. We have a kicker that for the most part, is very reliable. And that's in his range. If Garrett had elected to punt there, people would have been screaming from the rooftops about what a gutless decision it was. You have to trust your players to perform. They didn't. That's not on Garrett.

And I don't really blame him for that timeout, either. The play was bang bang, and we were trying to score a TD. It's easy for us to see the spot was bad, as the TV camera is always at a 90 degree angle to the play. The coaches don't have that instant gratification of seeing the spot as it's happening.
That's not coaching scared, it's coaching smart. If they would have run the clock down like they should have, then yeah, go for the field goal.

But they know full well what GB's offense can do, and they know a miss gives GB a short field with 30 seconds. And they know bailey has been shaky and the odds on a make at that distance and those conditions are not high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom