Watkins: Is trading Morris Claiborne an option?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Is trading Morris Claiborne an option?

February, 28, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

We've seen Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne for two seasons now.

He's participated in 25 of 32 available games. Claiborne has started 22 of those games but is mainly the third corner on his team behind Orlando Scandrick. The Cowboys moved up in the draft and selected Claiborne with the sixth overall selection in 2012 and all they have is two interceptions, 14 pass breakups and 17 weeks spent on the injury report spanning two seasons.

Is it time to view Claiborne a little differently now?

Maybe the Cowboys should explore trading him?

Is it so easy to give up on Claiborne, whom the Cowboys said graded out with the same skill set as Deion Sanders when he came out of college? Claiborne has been a major disappointment in his two seasons. You expected more from him considering where some of the scouts had him ranked and where he was drafted.

Claiborne shouldn't be the third corner on this team, but it's fair to say Scandrick is just better. And now with the Cowboys trying to upgrade a poor defense, a look at the current personnel is needed.

The bold move would result in the Cowboys trading Claiborne for maybe a third-round pick. NFL teams aren't going to give up anything higher than that, considering Claiborne's health issues and a lack of play-making ability in his first two seasons.

A sensible move is to keep him and think he'll perform better in 2014 with a clearer mind and healthier body.

Last season, Claiborne was an emotional mess. While rehabbing from a hamstring injury, Claiborne's father passed away suddenly. And just days after losing his father, he became a father himself to a baby girl.

Dealing with the life of the NFL and the realities of the world can be difficult to do sometimes, especially for a player in his early 20s. The Cowboys can give Claiborne a pass for roughly the last month of the 2013 season due to his mental state. Claiborne wanted to play, but his body and personal issues prevented that for a time.

When you look at the other corners drafted in 2012, there's no need to give up on them, though you must also question whether some of these selections are worth it.

Stephon Gilmore was the 10th pick of the draft by Buffalo and in 27 games he's got three interceptions and 26 pass breakups. Dre Kirkpatrick, who has spent 17 weeks on the injury report in two seasons, has just one interception for Cincinnati.

Janoris Jenkins, the 39th pick overall by Green Bay in the second round, had five interceptions in 2012 and returned three picks for touchdowns. He's shown some durability playing in 31 games.

It's easy to focus on Claiborne and say he's come up short of expectations and you would be fair in saying that. Trading him could be an option for the Cowboys if they believe someone is willing to give them a third-round pick.

However, giving Claiborne a chance to produce in his third season is the wise move, it just needs to happen.

What team in their right mind would give up a 3rd rounder for this guy? GTFO of here.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
No shit....but if someone were stupid enough, I'd trade his ass without thinking twice about it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No shit....but if someone were stupid enough, I'd trade his ass without thinking twice about it.
Even if we got a second back which is what it cost us to get him, it would be worth it.

Cotton

Staff member
Well, of course, but there is no way in hell it's happening.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
In summary...Cincinnati, Buffalo and Dallas- 3 teams who have historically sucked donkey dong at drafting players- drafted CB's who weren't worthy of the spot they were drafted.

Green Bay did their homework and once again shows why they are one of the elite teams in the league.

Pretty simple.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In summary...Cincinnati, Buffalo and Dallas- 3 teams who have historically sucked donkey dong at drafting players- drafted CB's who weren't worthy of the spot they were drafted.

Green Bay did their homework and once again shows why they are one of the elite teams in the league.

Pretty simple.
The packers have drafted their fair share of turds. Rodgers is the main reason why they're one of the elite teams in the league.

Cotton

Staff member
Roster Rundown: Claiborne Must Figure Thing Out Quickly
Posted 34 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

Editor's Note: Throughout the off-season, DallasCowboys.com staff writers will take a closer look at the roster, analyzing players’ impact last season and how each fits into the team's 2014 plans. Today's Roster Rundown entry features cornerback Morris Claiborne.)

Name: Morris Claiborne
Position: Cornerback
Height/Weight: 6-0 / 191
Experience: 2 seasons
College: LSU

Key stat: Of the 10 interceptions thrown by Peyton Manning this year, Claiborne managed to snag one of them – his only pick of the year. The turnover helped set up another Cowboys touchdown in a wild 51-48 loss to Manning’s Broncos.

Contract Status: Signed through 2017.

2013 Impact: There are days where you sit in your office while studying tape of your team and wonder if a player move that you made or didn’t make was the right thing to do. When I watch Morris Claiborne play, I often have those thoughts. Coming out of LSU, I honestly believed that Claiborne was the real deal, but injuries and at times a lack of confidence robbed him of that player I saw battling Alabama or Auburn down after down. What is interesting about Claiborne is when he is on the field and healthy, he does show you the ability to make plays. He had four big stops against the Giants opening night, later against the Chargers he had 10 tackles, the following week against the Broncos, what might have been his finest hour. While lining up against a talent group of receivers, he went toe-to-toe , coming away with an interception, a pass breakup and a fumble recovery. He later had outstanding games against the Redskins and Eagles back-to-back, but then what has plagued his career, the untimely injury. In this case, he missed six games with an injured hamstring. Of those six games, three of them were loses to Saints, Bears and Packers, who all were able to generate huge numbers through the air. In games that Claiborne played, the Cowboys had a record of 5-4 and as a defense had some of their better efforts of the season. For Claiborne, the problems haven’t been the playing ability but battling injuries have. It has been rare that he has stepped on the field for this defense and been completely healthy and until he can get over those issues, there are always going to be questions about was it the right thing to do in drafting him. Now going into his third season, the benefit of doubt and the let’s wait and see approach becomes a little less patient.

Where He Fits: For Morris Claiborne this really is a make or break season for him in the secondary. He will get the opportunity to battle Orlando Scandrick for the starting job at the right corner spot but my feeling is that Scandrick is not going away quietly. To be honest, this might be the best situation for Claiborne to have to fight for his job but if he cannot stay healthy enough to stay on the field, then this is a moot point. Claiborne is going to have to find a way to make this the most productive off season that he has ever gone through. He needs to take the same approach that Scandrick took in the off season conditioning program as an award winner and reshape his body and physically get ready for this season. There is no question of his talent and even though, he and Carr were adjusting to this scheme, he owes it to this organization to be at his best because if not, then the front office will need to move on and learn from the mistake they made.

Writers' Analysis:

Nick Eatman:

The B-word has been thrown out for a while now. I think it’s a little premature to call Claiborne a bust, but he’s running out of time. If he doesn’t get his job back from Scandrick, and start making more plays, then you’ll have no other choice but to call him that. Either way, Claiborne’s first two years have been a disappointment. His first season was fine, but you expect him to take that next step and he did – he just went backward. Other than the pick of Peyton Manning, which was more of a bad throw than any great break on the ball, Claiborne wasn’t that effective last year. He hasn’t proven he can stay healthy and this offseason is no different as he is rehabbing two surgeries (shoulder and hand). The Cowboys made a splash to get him in 2012 but so far, Claiborne hasn’t lived up to the hype.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No. I don't think it makes sense to trade him right now, because you'd be selling low. Not smart.

He was a huge waste but at this point you have to try to develop him more and hope for the best.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still think we should try him at FS.

He hasn't displayed any if the ball skills he was known for in college, but maybe if he had everything in front of him, he could regain some of those instincts.

junk

Not So New Member
Claiborne had a horrible year, but I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Still don't understand the team's desire to sign a $10 million per year corner AND trade up for one then go to a zone heavy scheme a year later. No long term vision.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Claiborne had a horrible year, but I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Still don't understand the team's desire to sign a $10 million per year corner AND trade up for one then go to a zone heavy scheme a year later. No long term vision.
This man's in a wait and see mode.

Top Bottom