NBA Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Pacers are a much deeper team than Chicago is, and the Mavs beat Indiana too, but that doesn't mean the Mavs are beating them in a series.

I could see the Bulls even with Rose going 5 games, maybe 6.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Pacers are a much deeper team than Chicago is, and the Mavs beat Indiana too, but that doesn't mean the Mavs are beating them in a series.

I could see the Bulls even with Rose going 5 games, maybe 6.
Deeper in what way?

Because they have Turner now?

Both have a good threesome in the frontcourt (I could rather easily argue the Bulls 3 are better by the way but I'll just call it equal), and both, at least theoretically, have a superstar yet each team is somewhat weak at the spot where the other team's superstar plays (Hill/Watson for the Pacers, Dunleavy for the Bulls).

The Pacers rotation in a playoff series probably goes 8 deep (Hill, Stephenson, George, West, Hibbert, Watson/Turner/Scola) while the Bulls would go 7 (Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Boozer, Noah, Hinrich/Gibson).

At any rate, it's all a moot point obviously, but I do expect the Bulls to be at least as good if not better next year if Rose can play for once, especially since I don't expect the Pacers to retain Stephenson and Turner.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Deeper in what way?

Both have a good threesome in the frontcourt (I could rather easily argue the Bulls 3 are better by the way but I'll just call it equal), and both, at least theoretically, have a superstar yet each team is somewhat weak at the spot where the other team's superstar plays (Hill/Watson for the Pacers, Dunleavy for the Bulls).

The Pacers rotation in a playoff series probably goes 8 deep (Hill, Stephenson, George, West, Hibbert, Watson/Turner/Scola) while the Bulls would go 7 (Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Boozer, Noah, Hinrich/Gibson).

At any rate, it's all a moot point obviously, but I do expect the Bulls to be at least as good if not better next year if Rose can play for once, especially since I don't expect the Pacers to retain Stephenson and Turner.
There is no way the Bulls frontcort is as good as the Pacers, they have a true low post threat in West and a dynamic two way wing in George, your best guy is Noah who will probably be hurt by then.:lol J/K

The way they funnel everything at Hibbert would drastically hurt Rose drive game.

I can'y believe you are using some meaningless early regular season game to prove a point, you continue to be a bit delusional concerning the bulls and just plain envious of the Pacers.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is no way the Bulls frontcort is as good as the Pacers, they have a true low post threat in West and a dynamic two way wing in George, your best guy is Noah who will probably be hurt by then.:lol J/K

The way they funnel everything at Hibbert would drastically hurt Rose drive game.

I can'y believe you are using some meaningless early regular season game to prove a point, you continue to be a bit delusional concerning the bulls and just plain envious of the Pacers.
We'll see how the future plays out but to me the teams are very similar in their style of play and how they're built.

And I was only focusing on the 4/5 when talking about the frontcourt, if you include George it's obviously better, but Noah is the best big on either team and Gibson is playing just as well as West recently. If he can keep it up is another question but right now he looks just as good. And despite the fact that I hate Boozer, he's better than Scola.

The early season game was a very minor aspect of the overall point that I'm making.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Deeper in what way?

Deeper because they have better options and all around better players.

Indiana took Miami to 7 games last year whereas the Bulls, even with a full team, couldn't take them past 5. So how would the Bulls be better than Indiana next year just because of Rose coming back?

I like Noah, but he has never been a problem offensively for Miami like Hibbert is. Rose is an excellent player, but Lebron shut him down in that playoff series when he began to guard him, on other hand, nobody stopped Paul including Lebron while Paul did a decent job on Lebron defensively....something Rose can't do.

West and Boozer kinda of even out, and I'd rather have Stephenson over Butler and Hill is just another quality player to add to the bunch. We have even gotten into Scola and now Turner.

I don't know anyone in their right mind who would choose the Bulls roster, even with a healthy Rose, over what Indiana has right now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
We'll see how the future plays out but to me the teams are very similar in their style of play and how they're built.

And I was only focusing on the 4/5 when talking about the frontcourt, if you include George it's obviously better, but Noah is the best big on either team and Gibson is playing just as well as West recently. If he can keep it up is another question but right now he looks just as good. And despite the fact that I hate Boozer, he's better than Scola.

The early season game was a very minor aspect of the overall point that I'm making.
Stepphens is way outplaying Butler so that's 2 spots the Pacers outclass the Bulls

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Deeper because they have better options and all around better players.

Indiana took Miami to 7 games last year whereas the Bulls, even with a full team, couldn't take them past 5. So how would the Bulls be better than Indiana next year just because of Rose coming back?

I like Noah, but he has never been a problem offensively for Miami like Hibbert is. Rose is an excellent player, but Lebron shut him down in that playoff series when he began to guard him, on other hand, nobody stopped Paul including Lebron while Paul did a decent job on Lebron defensively....something Rose can't do.

West and Boozer kinda of even out, and I'd rather have Stephenson over Butler and Hill is just another quality player to add to the bunch. We have even gotten into Scola and now Turner.

I don't know anyone in their right mind who would choose the Bulls roster, even with a healthy Rose, over what Indiana has right now.
You see, you're comparing how Indiana matches up with Miami to how the Bulls match up with Miami and saying Indiana is a better team because of it. I agree that Indiana matches up better than the Bulls with Miami because their best player isn't their primary ball-handler and therefore they have more options to alleviate pressure off of their best player. Rose on the other hand has to handle the ball and shoulder the scoring load as of now.

Because Indiana matches up better with Miami than Chicago doesn't mean Indiana would beat Chicago in a series since it's a different matchup.

Miami's defense thrives in trapping and forcing turnovers, this is ideal especially when the opponent's best player is a PG who you can use your best defender against (who he has 6-7 inches on) and not have to worry as much about what else is going on. You're basically killing two birds with one stone, the Bulls biggest problem against Miami was that they didn't have anybody to ease the ball-handling/scoring load or be an outlet against the pressure, Indiana has a natural advantage in that regard because George is not the focal point of Miami's pressure defense as Rose is.

The Bulls and Pacers defense is different though, Miami plays small and uses their speed/atheticism to their advantage when they pressure/trap/recover. The Bulls and Pacers basically use brute force down low and length/chest to chest defense on the perimeter. That's why I say they are similar teams and that's why I think a fully healthy Bulls team is as good or better than Indiana, especially when they lose either Stephenson or Turner next year.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I love that the Thunder picked up Caron Butler. He should give them an extra scorer off the bench. Jeremy Lamb has cooled down recently and Reggie Jackson is also struggling getting readjusted to his 6th man role.

They needed to do something. They have looked like garbage the past couple of weeks.

Also, today was the cut off to add players to your and have them eligible for the playoffs. Anyone added after today aren't allowed on playoff rosters.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Talking shit about the Bulls came back to bite me in the ass.

They came into Dallas tonight and D'd us up in that 2nd half.

Noah especially gave Dirk a hard time.

Last edited:

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Sixers plan is falling into place so far. Didn't get what they expected a few months back for Hawes and Turner, but both those guys were gone after the season anyhow. I still think Thad will be traded this offseason.

They have the 2nd worst record now and will not finish better than that. The team they are fielding now is one of he worst I've ever seen talent wise. I honestly can't see them winning more than a game or two the rest of the season. Blatant, open tanking. They have about 3 or 4 NBA players on their whole roster. Most of these guys will not be on the roster next year.

Then you have the Pels pick. Right now they are tied for the 9th worst record and falling fast. Injuries have taken their toll. Don't want them to slip to far because the pick is top 5 protected, but I don't see that happening with the awful teams they'd have to pass.

Hopefully, they get lucky with the ping pong balls in May with both their pick and the Pels. I have confidence Hinkie will make the right picks and then you have Nerlens coming back. They will have 3 top 10 picks making their debuts next year. Then they have a ton of cap space to either make a big splash this offseason or next and also add veteran role players. Should be fun.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't get why you guys are so in to your team(s) tanking. I got it this is a pretty good draft when looking at picks 1-7 but I don't see a single player in this class who I'd classify as a once in a generation elite talent like a Lebron, Kobe, or Jordan.

I see some good players who will probably develop into all-stars but guys like that are available in almost every draft.

Personally I wouldn't root for my team to tank unless there were a Lebron at the end of that rainbow and I just don't see that out of this year's group.

D

Deuce

When your team is devoid of any talent at all, one notch below "elite prospect" on the level of Lebron is fine with me.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't get why you guys are so in to your team(s) tanking. I got it this is a pretty good draft when looking at picks 1-7 but I don't see a single player in this class who I'd classify as a once in a generation elite talent like a Lebron, Kobe, or Jordan.

I see some good players who will probably develop into all-stars but guys like that are available in almost every draft.

Personally I wouldn't root for my team to tank unless there were a Lebron at the end of that rainbow and I just don't see that out of this year's group.
Look at it from Philly's perspective...not only will they have a high pick, but tons of cap space. We'll see if we still get NOs pick, but still...the team was going nowhere...so now there is a chance to run out Noel, MCW, Young, and Parker/Wiggins/Embiid...plus another top 10 guy if NO does not fall apart. It was better than what we had...also, the stockpile of 2nd rounders means they can move around in the draft, trade for a project, or draft a guy and stash him overseas. I love what Philly is doing.

Tony D

DCC 4Life

You can only make the playoffs as an 8 seed or just miss the playoffs and draft at the bottom of the lottery for so long. It's purgatory. You're stuck there. They needed to tear it down and start from scratch. No big FA was going to sign in Philly. They need to build from the draft and what better way to do it then with 4 lottery picks in 2 years. You grab the ROY with one and the consensus #1 pick who slipped because of a torn ACL with another and then 2 top 10 picks in a very good, deep draft. Sure MJ, Kobe and LeBron only come around so often and even if we don't find one we're still in good shape.

I'll take my chances with whomever we get with our pick and the Pels pick and go from there. I still want Wiggins with our pick. He'll flourish in Brett Brown's system.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Watching Kansas now...I'll take Wiggins or Embiid. They both can be great.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Watching Kansas now...I'll take Wiggins or Embiid. They both can be great.
I tend to agree. If we finish top 2 after ping pong balls we'll get one of those 2. 3rd would be Parker and I think 4th maybe this Dante Exum kid from overseas who people seem to be really high on.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Something about Wiggins just seems off I don't know if he really loves the game.
The first thing is the offense Self is running doesn't show off the talents of Wiggins. Throw it down low to two big guys, if they get doubled kick it out for long jumpers.

At 18 Wiggins strength is he's more athletic than anybody on the court. He excels in transition. He needs work on his handle and outside shot. He does need to be more agressive. He's a lockdown defender already and sometimes seems to play with more energy on that end.

I guarantee he puts up better numbers his rookie year in the NBA than his freshman year at Kansas. He's going to blow up.

Embiid is more of an unknown because of his limited time playing basketball. Kid is still learning the game. Could he be an Olajuwon type player? I trust Hinkie's decision.

1bigfan13

Staff member
We're looking at a season where neither the Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, or Sixers will make the playoffs.

Those are NBA hotbeds; some may say they're NBA royalty.

I wonder if that has ever happened before.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't know about how much Wiggins loves the game or not but I've been saying since his first college game that he is no LeBron, he has basically no handles and I don't like his feel when he drives. It seems he just puts his head down and relies on his athleticism to get him to where he's going, I think he's going to be a Vince Carter level player, a guy you can build a team around and an All Star but not some transcendent, MVP type of talent.

Embiid is the only guy that I think has that type of potential in this draft.

Top Bottom