Draft Chatter Thread...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I think top 20 is high for Ealy but I keep seeing him mocked to us. It hardly ever fails that our top needs never coincide with the BPA. No quality DT or DE in the middle of the first that fit our system but tons of WR's, TE's and CB's. I'd even look at OL again but I know we won't since we took one in the first last year and we're locked in on defense. No doubt defense is our top need but we have so many we can't afford to pass on better talent to reach for need, but I'm sure we will.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't think the top 20 is too high for Ealy at all.

And what is it exactly that we need? We need a strong side end and a weak side end. Which do you think Ealy projects better as? We need them both.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not Ealy's biggest fan but I wouldn't mind him with our pick. He has great size for strongside DE, he can play a little DT in passing situations and he was reasonably productive, he isn't my first choice but we could do worse.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would be very disappointed if we came away with our first round pick without a trade down and all we got was Ealy.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I keep hearing Ealy compares to Aldon Smith. I don't make that connection myself but he must be a decent pass rusher.

Carl

RIP Brother
Haven't watched todays stuff yet, but a few players I liked the look of.

Gabe Ikard, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Brandin Cooks and (yikes) AJ McCarron. And without knowing anything about him off the field, Greg Robinson looks like the best prospect this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I keep hearing Ealy compares to Aldon Smith. I don't make that connection myself but he must be a decent pass rusher.
He's not Aldon Smith.

Hell Aldon Smith isn't even himself without Justin Smith. That guy holds like a motherfucker to help him out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Haven't watched todays stuff yet, but a few players I liked the look of.

Gabe Ikard, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Brandin Cooks and (yikes) AJ McCarron. And without knowing anything about him off the field, Greg Robinson looks like the best prospect this year.
McCarron?

You are drunk, Irish.

Carl

RIP Brother
McCarron?

You are drunk, Irish.
Well, yes, but that's besides the point; I think he can spin the ball. Maybe in round 3-4 I'd take a look. Not before then though, and I still like the E. Illinois person; his name is too long to spell at this time of night.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL combine shifts Big Board
Brandin Cooks and Mike Evans are among big risers after the Indy festivities
Updated: February 27, 2014, 3:40 PM ET
By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider

This year's NFL combine did more to confirm what I already believed about players than it did to reshuffle the rankings. Again, the combine is a check, it's a measure to confirm what you see on tape. Jadeveon Clowney ran remarkably fast for a 266-pound defensive end, but the guy runs remarkably fast for a 266-pound defensive end when he plays football. For the most part, what guys do in pads correlates reasonably well to what they do in Under Armour.

But there are some changes. Mike Evans was a little faster than I thought. So was Brandin Cooks. Both moved up here. Eric Ebron was a little bigger than he had been previously, but it didn't slow him down. He also moves up. As well, we had some medical information that changed the view of some players. So while you see some clear shifts, there are also a lot of players that stayed put, because they lived up to the already-good tape.

Remember: Scouting reports remain similar week to week, though you'll see tweaks over the next couple months as pro days take place and I continue to gather information.

Asterisks denote players who were juniors at the time of their entry into the draft, and two asterisks denote redshirt sophomores. All players are now either officially in or out of the 2014 NFL draft.

1Jadeveon Clowney *AGE: 21DOB: 2/14/93HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Tkl 41Sack 3.0Int 0
After a 4.53 40 and a ridiculous 1.56 10-yard split time at the NFL combine, Clowney put to rest any questions of whether he'd perform in workouts like the athlete you see on tape. But he's not just a speed rusher looking to beat a tackle upfield and quickly turn the corner; he doesn't even bend that well. The power is there, too, and as a speed-to-power rusher who can drive a tackle back, Clowney can be great. He'll go through you. He can win with quickness or power and succeed in any scheme. Need will still factor into where he lands in the draft.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 1 | PLAYER CARD

2Greg Robinson **AGE: 21DOB: 10/21/92HT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT
GP 14GS 14
He shined as an athlete in Indy, and is now a challenge to go No. 1 overall. The remarkable thing with Robinson is his growth curve. Brought in as a guard, Robinson started at left tackle in the SEC as a redshirt freshman and held his own. In 2013, he was dominant, with increased strength making him closer to that complete package at tackle. He moves well, can get out in the run game and block in space and pass protects well with a wide base and quick feet. He also has long arms and delivers a solid punch. A future star.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 2 | PLAYER CARD

3Khalil MackAGE: 22DOB: 2/22/91HT: 6-3WT: 251POS: OLB
Tkl 100Sack 11.0Int 3
A great showing in Indy keeps Mack here. It's about versatility as much as his pass rush. You see Mack lining up both at the line and on the perimeter. He is capable of rushing the passer with quickness and power or dropping into coverage with a great ability to shed tackles and make plays in the open field. He uses good leverage to take on blocks and drive people back and uses quickness and strong hands to shed. He plays with a great motor and tackles with form.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 3 | PLAYER CARD

4Sammy Watkins *AGE: 20DOB: 6/14/93HT: 6-1WT: 211POS: WR
Rec 101Yds 1,464Avg 14.5TD 12
Watkins had an exceptional combine, looking very strong to the explosiveness we knew he had. He plays bigger than he measures, runs bigger than his listed size and has always had explosive speed. He fights through contact to make plays on the ball, and once he has it, he's devastating after the catch. Watkins blends polish with a high level of explosiveness and can turn catches on the edges or between the hashes into big plays. He accelerates with ease and displays top-end speed. There have been occasional concentration issues, but that shouldn't hurt much.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 5 | PLAYER CARD

5Jake MatthewsAGE: 22DOB: 2/11/92HT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT
GP 13GS 13
Matthews did nothing to hurt himself at the combine, and in the absence of Robinson and Lewan would be easily the best left tackle, which is where I still project him (depending on whether he goes to a team that actually values left over right). Matthews has a ton of experience and a feisty, competitive nature. He is a very good pass protector, with good balance, feet and hand use, and he plays prepared as an intense worker who carries great NFL bloodlines; his father, brother and two cousins have played in the league. I also like his ability to finish in the run game, where he shows off a nasty streak.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 4 | PLAYER CARD

6Mike Evans **AGE: 20DOB: 8/21/93HT: 6-5WT: 231POS: WR
Rec 69Yds 1,394Avg 20.2TD 12
Evans put together an exceptional combine with great speed and leaping ability for a player his size. No player in the draft is better on contested throws, and every quarterback wants a target like this. Evans uses his reach, jumping ability and long frame to beat shorter defenders like a good rebounder (and he was a good rebounder on the basketball court). I've been concerned about his off-the-line quickness, but he clearly has good top-end speed. Evans could also be a versatile threat -- used on the edge or in the slot to create matchup problems -- because you simply can't defend his size. Seems likely to land in the top 10 now.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 15 | PLAYER CARD

7Taylor LewanAGE: 22DOB: 7/21/91HT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT
GP 13GS 13
Lewan showed off impressive athletic credentials in Indy, and could push Matthews to be the second tackle taken. It's possible he would have rated higher than any tackle in last year's draft. Lewan has great length and above-average athleticism. What I really like is the improved play as a run-blocker; he has strength in his lower half and a mean streak as a finisher. Lewan moves his feet well and mirrors effectively in pass protection, with an improved punch. He displays the awareness of a player who has started since his freshman season.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 8 | PLAYER CARD

8Eric Ebron *AGE: 20DOB: 4/10/93HT: 6-4WT: 250POS: TE
Rec 62Yds 973Avg 15.7TD 3
He has the pass-catching skills you want out of a tall wide receiver, but he does that carrying 250 pounds. He has the length and flexibility to haul in anything you throw his way, is often split out and can make plays after the catch. He has the size to overwhelm cornerbacks and most safeties, good burst and above-average straight-line speed. He can go up and get the ball and does a good job of catching it with his hands away from his body. An adequate blocker, he's added size to improve there without losing speed.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 7 | PLAYER CARD

9Anthony BarrAGE: 21DOB: 3/18/92HT: 6-5WT: 255POS: DE
Tkl 66Sack 10.0Int 0
Barr did little to hurt himself in Indy, even though he drops. It's more reflective of what others did to move ahead of him. I'm not sure the tape is quite as potent as the totals this year, but given that, Barr's been a disruptive pass-rushing force, and I felt he became a more complete player in 2013. He has a decent arsenal of moves, using quick feet and hands to free himself, and he's disciplined against the run. I love how well he pursues, even when the play runs away from him. A former fullback, he has a powerful lower half and a long frame and reach.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 6 | PLAYER CARD

10Teddy Bridgewater *AGE: 21DOB: 11/10/92HT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB
Comp 303Att 427Pct 71.0Yds 3,970TD 31Int 4
Bridgewater didn't throw in Indy, but he was confident in his interviews and at the podium. He is poised and smart and is the QB in this draft class who most regularly made throws with good timing and anticipation last season. He throws to spots and openings, not just to open targets. Bridgewater blends enough arm strength to drive the ball into tight windows with touch to drop the ball into holes in coverage. He adjusts his velocity really well, depending on the depth and location of the pass. He does a good job pre-snap, gets through his progressions and often scans the whole field. Ball placement is consistently good.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 9 | PLAYER CARD

11Blake Bortles *AGE: 22DOB: 12/16/91HT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Comp 259Att 382Pct 67.8Yds 3,581TD 25Int 9
He threw in Indy, but there's little to discuss there. Bortles is the guy with the tools you want to develop -- an enticing blend of the size you traditionally look for at quarterback with the athleticism that is now coveted across the NFL as more offenses put mobility to good use. He has the work ethic that will get more people to believe in his ceiling. He has sound if rigid mechanics, and shows poise and good footwork in the pocket. He has average arm strength, but gets it down the field. The big issue is inconsistent ball placement; he can ask a lot of his wide receivers.

PREVIOUS RANKING: No. 10 | PLAYER CARD

12Johnny Manziel **AGE: 21DOB: 12/6/92HT: 6-0WT: 207POS: QB
Comp 300Att 429Pct 69.9Yds 4,114TD 37Int 13
Anything that was learned about Manziel in Indy was from the interviews. His workouts were generally as expected. The modern NFL is a good fit for a player with Manziel's skill set. His ability to move, improvise and make throws off platform are all special traits, but he's also an effective pocket passer when he wants to be. He anticipates well and sees the whole field, and though he doesn't have great arm strength, he can make special throws with touch and precision both from the pocket and on the move. He would deliver strikes with more velocity if he kept his feet underneath him consistently. The concern is durability, and a desire to "escape" even a clean pocket. He must show patience with his legs.

PREVIOUS RANKING: No. 11 | PLAYER CARD

13C.J. MosleyAGE: 21DOB: 6/19/92HT: 6-2WT: 234POS: LB
Tkl 106Sack 0Int 0
Mosley has great versatility. As a run defender, he has great feet, instincts, hands, discipline and tackling explosiveness, and then you factor in he's probably got the best cover skills of any linebacker in the draft. What you get is a player who never has to come off the field. He flies to the ball, tackles and scrapes effectively, getting off blocks to make a ton of plays. He simply needs to get a bit stronger and use good leverage going downhill against the run. He should be best on the weak side.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 13 | PLAYER CARD

14Justin GilbertAGE: 22DOB: 11/7/91HT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB
Tkl 42Sack 0Int 7
Gilbert crushed the combine, looking good in virtually every workout. He also had a great season. His athlete credentials are strong. On the field, he combines short-area quickness to adjust to routes and open-field speed to run with (or past) any receiver. He has enough size and strength to redirect routes at the line and can then flip his hips and run with anybody; he rarely allows much separation. Good ball skills and hands are evident both in coverage and the return game. Given the need at the position, it's not out of the question that he lands in the top 10.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 18 | PLAYER CARD

15Marqise Lee *AGE: 22DOB: 11/25/91HT: 6-0WT: 192POS: WR
Rec 57Yds 791Avg 13.9TD 4
Lee was essentially as-advertised in Indy, which is a good thing. He's the kind of receiver you draft with slight questions on ceiling but a high degree of certainty regarding immediate impact. He has exceptional fluidity in and out of breaks and in changing directions after the catch. His quickness in short areas allows him to create space and big plays after the catch. He has reliable hands outside of the occasional drop and is a very good route-runner -- accelerating without wasted motion. He plays bigger than his size on contested passes, with a physical style.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 14 | PLAYER CARD

16Timmy Jernigan *AGE: 21DOB: 9/24/92HT: 6-2WT: 299POS: DT
Tkl 53Sack 5.0Int 0
Jernigan was a little underwhelming in his combine workouts, but didn't raise any red flags. He could be the most versatile interior lineman in the draft, but seems best as a 3 tech. I love his great sense for how to disrupt the run game in particular. He could be quicker off the snap, but he makes up for it with leverage, violent hands and quick feet to both drive blockers backward and free himself to penetrate. He is a former defensive end who brings a lot of quickness to the inside and shows off good speed in pursuit.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 12 | PLAYER CARD

17Brandin Cooks *AGE: 20DOB: 9/25/93HT: 5-10WT: 189POS: WR
Rec 128Yds 1,730Avg 13.5TD 16
Cooks couldn't be covered during the season, and nothing could stop him in Indy. The small but explosive receiver ran a blazing 4.33, but also dominated in the agility drills and also showed a great vertical to go with pretty good strength for a player his size. In fact, he now looks like a oh-so slightly more athletic version of Tavon Austin, and Austin was a top-10 pick last year. Cooks won't go as high, but it's fair to say the combine numbers match the ridiculous productivity.

PREVIOUS RANKING: NR | PLAYER CARD

18Darqueze DennardAGE: 22DOB: 10/10/91HT: 5-11WT: 199POS: CB
Tkl 62Sack 0Int 4
Dennard was as good as he needed to be at the combine, and can rest easy on good workouts, good tape, and plenty of good reports from those he's been coached by or played with. He's the most versatile defensive back in the draft, with proven skill in any area of coverage. Dennard can play up and redirect routes or off in zone and make plays in front of him. He'll blanket even really good receivers in man-to-man, and he turns his head well to avoid penalties that could be called were he not to show ball awareness, given how tight he can play in coverage. It's all there.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 19 | PLAYER CARD

19Zack MartinAGE: 23DOB: 11/20/90HT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT
GP 13GS 13
A good Senior Bowl and a solid combine have Martin in a good spot. He's got easy feet and engages defenders, both mirroring and moving them with good hands. Versatility is a plus for Martin, as he can handle left tackle or right tackle and could handle guard in a pinch. Martin is a great competitor who absorbs power well for a tackle with shorter arms, but he also handles speed pretty effectively due to his quick feet. The arms could make him a likelier bet to move off the left side, but experience and versatility will keep him in Round 1.

PREVIOUS RANKING: No. 17 | PLAYER CARD

20Odell Beckham Jr. *AGE: 21DOB: 11/5/92HT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Rec 59Yds 1,152Avg 19.5TD 8
Beckham had a good combine, though his "unofficial" 4.31 ended up a 4.43. (How ridiculous has the "unofficial" TV 40 time process gotten, by the way? Absurd.) What first catches your eye with Beckham is the speed, with a potent initial burst off the line and then a good second gear to reach full speed quickly. But the pass-catching skills are also good because not only does Beckham create good separation underneath, but he'll also make plays in traffic, snatching the ball away from his body then transitioning immediately into a dangerous runner after the catch. I think he can land inside the top 20.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 21 | PLAYER CARD

21Aaron DonaldAGE: 22DOB: 5/23/91HT: 6-1WT: 285POS: DT
GP 13GS 13
It's hard to be hotter as a prospect than Donald is right now. He leads the country in tackles for loss, then goes to Mobile and is a star at the Senior Bowl working against very good competition, then he goes to Indy and runs 4.65 in the 40 at 285 pounds, and also throws in 35 reps in the bench press for good measure. And on the combine totals, the athleticism and power match up perfectly with how he played all year, with a blend of quickness and power to run through and around blocks, creating constant problems for offenses. Now, he's a likely mid-first round pick.

PREVIOUS RANKING: NR | PLAYER CARD

22Louis Nix III *AGE: 22DOB: 7/31/91HT: 6-2WT: 331POS: DT
Tkl 27Sack 0Int 0
Nix was down to a svelt 333 at the combine, but he could play bigger and teams won't mind. He's that rare commodity, with the size and strength to handle a 0-technique role when he maintains proper leverage, keeping multiple blockers occupied and eating up two gaps while making life easy for linebackers cleaning up against the run. But he's not limited to that because he can really move, at least a lot better than you would expect from a player his size. Nix is occasionally moved too easily and loses gap control, but many teams can use his leverage up the gut.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 22 | PLAYER CARD

23Calvin Pryor *AGE: 21DOB: 7/2/92HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: S
Tkl 75Sack 0Int 3
Pryor comes out of the combine with his hot stock intact. He's a first-round lock, not only playing a position of need but also having finished his season with a string of good performances. He displays the ability to cover significant ground in coverage with anticipation and speed as well as a willingness to come downhill and make plays at the line of scrimmage. He gets great reviews from ex-Louisville coach Charlie Strong, and he should battle Ha Ha Clinton-Dix to be the top safety taken.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 23 | PLAYER CARD

24Ha Ha Clinton-Dix *AGE: 21DOB: 12/21/92HT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S
Tkl 50Sack 0Int 2
Clinton-Dix looked good in Indy, long but explosive, and it matches the tape. He's instinctive and fluid, and can play Cover 1, getting to the ball even against teams looking to exploit him by working the perimeter. He reads the quarterback well and can accelerate or turn quickly to make plays in any direction. While he won't be defined by physical play, he's certainly not afraid to fly downhill and make a play close to the line of scrimmage. That said, his ability to anticipate, take great angles and cover could add help to almost any defense.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 24 | PLAYER CARD

25Ryan Shazier *AGE: 21DOB: 9/6/92HT: 6-1WT: 237POS: OLB
Tkl 142Sack 6.0Int 0
Shazier showed off the athleticism you'd expect based on his tape. Versatile, quick, instinctive and a strong tackler, Shazier lacks size, but he balances a physical style with the ability to make plays across the field. He anticipates quickly and attacks plays in the backfield but will also track tight ends and running backs in coverage with the burst and agility to stay with them. In the mold of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Lavonte David, Shazier is a linebacker who looks like an oversized safety but does a great job of tracking and making tackles.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 25 | PLAYER CARD
Next up:A few players that were close, but didn't quite make the list: Marcus Martin, C, USC; Stephon Tuitt, DT/DE, Notre Dame; Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois; Jason Verrett, CB, TCU; Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State; Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
By Dane Brugler
NFLDraftScout.com Analyst

The 2014 NFL Combine has come and gone and for 335 NFL prospects, the biggest step in this rigorous job interview (also known as the draft process) is complete. Some prospects performed well, others didn't, but above all, the puzzle pieces are coming together as we get a clearer picture of who each of these prospects will be at the next level.
While Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr stood on the sideline as the quarterbacks went through the positional drills at the Combine, Blake Bortles competed and didn't disappoint.

He threw strikes to all levels of the field and stood out as the top passer, doing nothing to persuade me from moving him from the top spot to the Texans. Despite Jadeveon Clowney's freakishly impressive times at the Combine, I still expect Houston to lean quarterback and Bortles is a great fit from a physical and mental standpoint with Bill O'Brien with the Texans.

NFL MOCK DRAFT - 2/26/2014
ROUND 1
1. HOUSTON TEXANS

(2-14) Blake Bortles, QB, UCF: Losing the final 14 games of last season, the Texans deserve this top spot. But despite the forgettable season, Houston isn't a complete re-build and new head coach Bill O'Brien inherits a roster that only needs a few tweaks. If the Texans keep this pick, it would be a surprise if they went in any other direction but quarterback Bortles and Johnny Manziel are the favorites and I'll still with the Central Florida product.
2. ST. LOUIS RAMS (FROM WASHINGTON)

(7-9) Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: This will be a tough pill to swallow for the Redskins, who earned a top-five pick but traded this selection to the Rams two years ago in the Robert Griffin deal. Expect the Rams to offer up this spot for ransom, similar to two years ago, but if they keep it, GM Les Snead and his staff have the luxury of going best player available, which is the Clowney.
3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

(4-12) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: If Clowney is still on the board, this pick gets interesting - the elusive starting quarterback or the all-world pass rusher? But in this scenario, Clowney is off the board so the next question is which quarterback do they select, Bridgewater or Manziel? My guess in Johnny Football.
4. CLEVELAND BROWNS

(4-12) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: The Browns have a new head coach and general manager so right now it's anyone's guess the direction they go. But quarterback is still a strong need and with Bridgewater on the board, Cleveland has a chance to upgrade the position.
5. OAKLAND RAIDERS

(4-12) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: The Raiders need upgrades at several positions, most importantly quarterback. But they might be left in a spot where they guy they want isn't left on the board. If that's the case, Watkins would be a nice consolation prize.
6. ATLANTA FALCONS

(4-12) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: The Falcons have more than a few needs, but one of them is at left tackle where Atlanta needs to find a long-term replacement for Sam Baker. Robinson is a devastating run blocker and while he needs time to develop in pass protection, he has a very high ceiling.
7. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

(4-12) Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: With a new regime in Tampa, a quarterback is a real option in the first round for the Buccaneers, but not a priority with Mike Glennon doing enough to keep his starting job for another season. The Bucs also have a need on the other side of the ball at pass rusher and Mack might be the guy Lovie Smith targets.
8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS

(5-10-1) Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: If the top three quarterbacks are off the board, do the Vikings reach for a quarterback here? Maybe. But they also need help on defense, specifically at pass rusher to replace free agent-to-be Jared Allen.
9. BUFFALO BILLS

(6-10) Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: The Bills need to add a big, physical presence in the receiving game, whether at wide receiver or tight end. Ebron is a freak athlete who will instantly help the Bills offense and second-year quarterback EJ Manuel.
10. DETROIT LIONS

(7-9) Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: The Lions have needs on defense, especially in the secondary at cornerback. Gilbert needs footwork and technique work, but his height, length and speed will push him up draft boards.
11. TENNESSEE TITANS

(7-9) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: With 31-year old David Stewart a candidate to be released this offseason, the Titans could be looking at offensive tackle in the draft. Matthews could step in and start at right tackle as a rookie before eventually taking over for Michael Roos on the left side in a year or two.
12. NY GIANTS

(7-9) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: The Giants need to address their pass rush and pass defense this offseason, the bread and butter of the teams that won the Super Bowl two of the last six years. Dennard isn't the fastest and needs to control his aggressive nature downfield, but he works hard to gain positioning and blankets receivers with his physicality.
13. ST. LOUIS RAMS

(7-9) Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: St. Louis added Jake Long in free agency last offseason, but he suffered a torn ACL last season and Lewan would be an upgrade over Rodger Saffold and Joseph Barksdale on the other side. Lewan has the mean streak and athletic base made for the pros.
14. CHICAGO BEARS

(8-8) Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: The Bears need to add depth in the secondary and the interior defensive line in the offseason. When Jernigan is explosive off the ball and uses his combination of athleticism and natural strength, he's a tough player to block in the middle as a 1-technique.
15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

(8-8) Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville: The Steelers need to find the long-term replacement for free agent Ryan Clark at free safety and Pryor has the versatile skill-set to play the deep half of the field and attack the run.
16. DALLAS COWBOYS

(8-8) Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: The Cowboys almost have to go defensive line with this pick and Donald will be an attractive prospect to play the three-technique spot for Dallas' four-man front with his explosive, relentless play style.
17. BALTIMORE RAVENS

(8-8) Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: The Ravens have deep threats at receiver with Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and Marlon Brown, but could use a larger, more physical talent for Joe Flacco to target. Evans won't run a blazing 40-yard dash but he's fast enough with the aggressive nature to win contested throws and be a threat after the catch.
18. NY JETS

(8-8) Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: Although he's been a turnover machine, Geno Smith will likely hold onto the starting gig for another year. And the Jets need to add more weapons to the offensive arsenal and Beckham helped himself at the Combine, pushing him into the top-20 conversation.
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS

(8-8) Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame: The Dolphins might be able to get by with their patchwork offensive line for now, but no question an upgrade is needed. Martin looks like an All-Pro guard, but he will likely begin at tackle in the NFL until he shows he can't hold up there.
20. ARIZONA CARDINALS

(10-6) RaShede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: With Darnell Dockett's future in Arizona a question mark due to his large contract, it won't be a surprise to see them address the defensive line here. Hageman is a well-built athlete who might be best suited in a five-technique role, but can do a lot of things up front.
21. GREEN BAY PACKERS

(8-7-1) Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame: Green Bay loses a lot of their beef up front on the defensive side of the ball to free agency this year, but Nix could give the Packers a replacement for BJ Raji if the nose tackle chooses big money over returning to Green Bay.
22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

(10-6) Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama: Chip Kelly wants to get faster and tougher on defense and adding an impact safety would help. Clinton-Dix is a rangy player with a good feel for coverage and filling run lanes.
23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

(11-5) Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California: Besides Dwayne Bowe, the Chiefs are lacking for impact targets in the passing game downfield. Lee is explosive down the field and if he stays healthy, he'll provide a productive option for Alex Smith opposite Dwayne Bowe.
24. CINCINNATI BENGALS

(11-5) Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri: With Michael Johnson likely leaving Cincinnati via free agency, Margus Hunt is the projected starter at defensive end, but a team can't have too many pass rushers. Ealy is nimble for his size and has the tools to be a productive pro.
25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

(9-7) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU: Can non-Chargers fans name San Diego's two-deep at cornerback? Can Chargers fans? Regardless, upgrades are needed so if San Diego goes cornerback here, it shouldn't be a surprise. And it would be even less of a surprise if Verrett is still available.
26. CLEVELAND BROWNS (FROM INDIANAPOLIS)

(4-12) C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama: If the Browns go quarterback at No. 4 overall, their second first round pick is a wildcard with several need areas on the Cleveland roster. And while linebacker isn't tops on that list, if a player like Mosley is still available, he makes sense inside next to D'Qwell Jackson.
27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

(11-5) Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: With the Saints are missing a big-play receiver on the outside who could potentially be a No. 1 threat for Drew Brees. Cooks is a more polished version of Tavon Austin with his explosive quickness, crisp routes and ability to create with the ball in his hands.
28. CAROLINA PANTHERS

(12-4) Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama: The Panthers will likely look to help Cam Newton with this pick, possibly at offensive tackle where Jordan Gross recently announced his retirement. Kouandjio has technique concerns, but if teams think he can stay healthy, he is worth a pick in this range.
29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

(12-4) Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech: The Patriots are hopeful that Rob Gronkowski will be healthy by the start of the 2014 regular season, but regardless, New England needs to add another tight end to the mix. Amaro is a versatile pass catcher who would fill the void from Aaron Hernandez.
30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

(12-4) Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: San Francisco went secondary in the first round last year and it wouldn't be a shock if they do so again, addressing the cornerback position. Fuller isn't the fastest player, but he's incredibly instinctive and natural at the position with an aggressive nature and fluid footwork.
31. DENVER BRONCOS

(13-3) Dee Ford, DE, Auburn: The Broncos have battled numerous injuries to their pass rushers this season and need to continue and develop depth to their front seven. Ford had a stand out week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl and has played himself into the first round discussion.
32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

(13-3) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA: The starting offensive guards in Seattle have produced inconsistent results so far this season. Su'a-Filo has experience at tackle and guard, but projects best inside and will be the top guard in this class for several teams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No shit. I can't count the number of dumb asses who took the "speculation" that they were as gospel, just so they can't view them as a legit threat to take Donald.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Re-signing Melton is a bigger threat to them taking Donald than them shifting to a bit of a hybrid defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McShay

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...2-draft-prospects-post-combine-2014-nfl-draft

1.. Jadeveon Clowney* DE South Carolina
2.. Greg Robinson * T Auburn
3.. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
4.. Sammy Watkins* WR Clemson
5.. Jake Matthews T Texas A&M

6.. Taylor Lewan T Michigan
7.. Mike Evans* WR Texas A&M
8.. Teddy Bridgewater* QB Louisville
9.. Blake Bortles* QB Central Florida
10. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St.

11. Timmy Jernigan* DT Florida St.
12. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
13. Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
14. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St.
15. Calvin Pryor* S Louisville

16. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix* S Alabama
17. Eric Ebron* TE North Carolina
18. Marqise Lee* WR USC
19. Zack Martin T Notre Dame
20. Louis Nix III* DT Notre Dame

21. Kony Ealy* DE Missouri
22. Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida St.
23. Johnny Manziel* QB Texas A&M
24. Brandin Cooks* WR Oregon St.
25. Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota

26. Bradley Roby* CB Ohio St.
27. Odell Beckham Jr.* WR LSU
28. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
29. Stephon Tuitt* DE Notre Dame
30. Ryan Shazier* OLB Ohio St.
31. Kyle Fuller CB VIrginia Tech
32. Jason Verrett CB TCU

--

Kiper

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...-mike-evans-movers-mel-kiper-latest-big-board

1.. Jadeveon Clowney* DE South Carolina
2.. Greg Robinson * T Auburn
3.. Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
4.. Sammy Watkins* WR Clemson
5.. Jake Matthews T Texas A&M

6.. Mike Evans* WR Texas A&M
7.. Taylor Lewan T Michigan
8.. Eric Ebron* TE North Carolina
9.. Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
10. Teddy Bridgewater* QB Louisville

11. Blake Bortles* QB Central Florida
12. Johnny Manziel* QB Texas A&M
13. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
14. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St.
15. Marqise Lee* WR USC

16. Timmy Jernigan* DT Florida St.
17. Brandin Cooks* WR Oregon St.
18. Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St.
19. Zack Martin T Notre Dame
20. Odell Beckham Jr.* WR LSU

21. Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
22. Louis Nix III* DT Notre Dame
23. Calvin Pryor* S Louisville
24. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix* S Alabama
25. Ryan Shazier* OLB Ohio St.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mike Mayock's updated position rankings for 2014 NFL Draft

By Mike Mayock
NFL Media draft analyst
Published: March 3, 2014 at 03:54 p.m.
Updated: March 3, 2014 at 04:52 p.m.

With the NFL Scouting Combine in the rearview mirror, Mike Mayock unveils the second edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft.

Quarterback
1. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
3. Blake Bortles, Central Florida
4. Derek Carr, Fresno State
t5. AJ McCarron, Alabama
t5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois

New entry: Garoppolo

Running back
1. Bishop Sankey, Washington
2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State
3. Jeremy Hill, LSU