Tomlin fined for interference

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What no rule are you referring to?
There was no salary cap the year the league (read: Mara, the douche who's team we swept this year) was complaining about. There was no rule saying you couldn't push salary into that season. We were punished rather harshly for violating a rule that never actually existed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There was no salary cap the year the league (read: Mara, the douche who's team we swept this year) was complaining about. There was no rule saying you couldn't push salary into that season. We were punished rather harshly for violating a rule that never actually existed.
Okay. I though he was referring to Tomlin not breaking a rule.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Okay. I though he was referring to Tomlin not breaking a rule.
no, Genghis is right I was referring to us being punished by douche-Mara

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Garrett mindful of Mike Tomlin fine
December, 5, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100,000 by the NFL for standing on the white portion of the sidelines during a kick return, it's made coaches aware of their surroundings.

"I think it has," Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "We all have a tendency to want to get out there a little bit closer. We have the best get-back coach in the business in (head strength and conditioning coach) Mike Woicik. You can be in the middle of calling a play and he’ll tell you to get back. He takes it very seriously, and we take it very seriously, because that can be a factor in the game obviously."

At times you will see some Cowboys' coaches standing on the white of the sidelines during plays, but not to the point of interfering during live action. Last season, former defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was penalized for yelling at an opposing player in Cincinnati.

But Garrett said getting fined $100,000 is a good deterrent for not interfering with the game-action.

"I think that’s probably a good deterrent for everybody," he said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Steelers will face draft-pick compensation from Tomlin incident

Jason La Canfora CBS Sports NFL Insider

December 08, 2013 08:48 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers will in fact end up losing a late-round draft pick for coach Mike Tomlin’s actions on the sidelines Thanksgiving night, according to league sources. The NFL is not finalizing that decision until the spring, after all compensatory picks are sent.

When Tomlin’s discipline was announced by the league on Wednesday, including a $100,000 fine, the NFL included language in the ruling stipulating that a forfeiture, or altering, of the team’s picks was still possible but that nothing would be finalized on that until the spring. Many have taken that to mean the league would not impose any draft-pick penalties, or was including the language as something of an idle threat.

However, such assumptions are untrue, and there will be draft-pick compensation I’m told. Tomlin’s actions, when he stood on the sidelines too close to the action and appeared to make a motion on to the field as Raven Jacoby Jones was returning a kick for what may have been a touchdown -- Baltimore ended up settling for a field goal in a close game that came down to the very end of regulation and nearly went to overtime -- are not being taken lightly within the league office.

Jacoby Jones had to change course because of Mike Tomlin's positioning.
The NFL did not stipulate the exact nature of the draft-pick penalty because in its mind this remains an open case. Tomlin’s actions could have precluded the Ravens from scoring four more points than they did, and points scored can be a possible playoff tiebreaker. So the NFL does not know the full scope of the ramifications of Tomlin’s actions, nor does it know the full-range of Pittsburgh’s draft picks as compensatory picks, for instance, are not even awarded until the NFL’s annual spring meeting. So until the league has all of the information available, no decision will be announced.

But even if the Ravens make the playoffs, and that tiebreaker is not a factor, Pittsburgh will still face draft-pick compensation. It’s not an either/or situation. The Steelers have not been informed of any parameters or further details beyond what was included in the NFL’s press release when Tomlin’s fine was announced, and the front office at this point is operating under the assumption that some further penalty is coming.

As I reported last Sunday, the team was fearful they would lose a pick and the forfeiture of a draft pick -- or otherwise alteration of a drafting position -- was always a central part of the NFL’s consideration of discipline in this matter with the incident very much having the potential to impact competitive balance, something it takes very seriously.

Cotton

Staff member
Good.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Look at the fucker's face. Tell me that is the expression of a man who is like "oh shit, I shouldn't even be here...whoops!"

Cotton

Staff member
He knew exactly what he was doing. It really is a shame that there wasn't a flag thrown.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He knew exactly what he was doing. It really is a shame that there wasn't a flag thrown.
If they threw a flag and gave Jones the TD, that might have been the end of it. This is much much better.

Cotton

Staff member
If they threw a flag and gave Jones the TD, that might have been the end of it. This is much much better.
My post was more a dig at how bad the refs have been this year than anything.

Top Bottom