The Beer Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I have been drinking a lot of local/regional beers this summer. Had some Lone Pint Yellow Rose recently, Live Oak Hefeweizen, different Jester King wild/sour ales. I was in Chicago for 10 days in late July and had a bunch of great Midwestern beer that I can't get in Austin. I had several different Three Floyds beers, a couple from Revolution (went to that brewery while I was in town because I spent some time in that neighborhood), Half Acre, Solemn Oath, Pipeworks, etc. Also had a couple of Allagash White, which is not a Midwestern beer but they distribute there and not here. Oh and a really outstanding Belgian beer called Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels.
Yellow Rose is one of my favs along with damn near anything from JK. Had some Pipeworks grouper the other day that was really good.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yellow Rose is one of my favs along with damn near anything from JK. Had some Pipeworks grouper the other day that was really good.
From Pipeworks I had Ninja vs. Unicorn and Blood of the Unicorn. BOTU was good but NvU was outstanding.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You could have slipped him a Peasant Cock and he'd have been none the wiser.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Anyone on here had much beer from Wicked Weed? It is in Asheville, NC and I know there are some people who live in the part of the country. Someone I work with is out there and will be bringing me some per my request. Any feedback on what I should request? I have some ideas based on what I have read online but am open to suggestions.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Anyone on here had much beer from Wicked Weed? It is in Asheville, NC and I know there are some people who live in the part of the country. Someone I work with is out there and will be bringing me some per my request. Any feedback on what I should request? I have some ideas based on what I have read online but am open to suggestions.
Only had Hop Burglar from them and it was pretty good, a little too much grapefruit taste for me personally though. Their Freak of Nature dipa is supposed to be better

junk

Not So New Member
I have been drinking a lot of local/regional beers this summer. Had some Lone Pint Yellow Rose recently, Live Oak Hefeweizen, different Jester King wild/sour ales. I was in Chicago for 10 days in late July and had a bunch of great Midwestern beer that I can't get in Austin. I had several different Three Floyds beers, a couple from Revolution (went to that brewery while I was in town because I spent some time in that neighborhood), Half Acre, Solemn Oath, Pipeworks, etc. Also had a couple of Allagash White, which is not a Midwestern beer but they distribute there and not here. Oh and a really outstanding Belgian beer called Tripel Karmeliet from Brouwerij Bosteels.
You hit some good ones in the Chicago area. What 3F did you get?

I liked Half Acre Daisy Cutter quite a bit. As you said, Pipewerks NvU is good too.

junk

Not So New Member
Any of you guys ever tried beer trading?

I've got (and can usually get) some of the not super rare Toppling Goliath stuff. Was thinking about trying to trade for some of those hard to get East Coast IPAs. Or something like Blind Pig from Russian River which I've heard is good.

Overall, it kind of seems like a pain in the ass though.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
You hit some good ones in the Chicago area. What 3F did you get?

I liked Half Acre Daisy Cutter quite a bit. As you said, Pipewerks NvU is good too.
I have had a ton of Three Floyds stuff over the years (Dark Lord, Permanent Funeral, Arctic Panzerwolf, Dreadnaught, Gumballhead, etc). This last time I had Zombie Dust and Alpha King, both of which I have had on numerous occasions. I also had a few I'd never tried before: Apocalypse Cow was a DIPA that was pretty sweet/malty for such a hoppy style beer, Calumet Queen was a Kolsch & it was kind of meh---fortunately that one was just part of a flight, and Sturm Truppen (also part of that flight) which was a kind of strange IPA but I would like to try a full pour if I ever come across it again.

I had a Daisycutter from Half Acre, which I've had before (great beer) and also a Vallejo, which I had not previously tried.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Any of you guys ever tried beer trading?

I've got (and can usually get) some of the not super rare Toppling Goliath stuff. Was thinking about trying to trade for some of those hard to get East Coast IPAs. Or something like Blind Pig from Russian River which I've heard is good.

Overall, it kind of seems like a pain in the ass though.
I have done one trade with a guy from the Bay Area. I sent him a couple Jester King sours, a Lone Pint Yellow Rose, Oddwood Ales Taming the Savage Heart, and then several local Austin beers in cans. I got back some really good beer that I can't get here (beers from breweries like Modern Times, Almanac, & Fieldworks).

It is kind of a pain in the ass and the packaging/shipping adds a significant amount of expense. It is not something I will do often but may do again at some point.

Blind Pig is really good, as is Pliny the Elder. Supplication is probably the best Russian River beer I have ever had though so if you ever do a trade with someone on the West Coast see if you can get that.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have had a ton of Three Floyds stuff over the years (Dark Lord, Permanent Funeral, Arctic Panzerwolf, Dreadnaught, Gumballhead, etc). This last time I had Zombie Dust and Alpha King, both of which I have had on numerous occasions. I also had a few I'd never tried before: Apocalypse Cow was a DIPA that was pretty sweet/malty for such a hoppy style beer, Calumet Queen was a Kolsch & it was kind of meh---fortunately that one was just part of a flight, and Sturm Truppen (also part of that flight) which was a kind of strange IPA but I would like to try a full pour if I ever come across it again.

I had a Daisycutter from Half Acre, which I've had before (great beer) and also a Vallejo, which I had not previously tried.
Who comes up with these names? :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Who comes up with these names? :lol
:lol

Yeah, it can get pretty absurd and it is definitely not just Three Floyds. There are so many breweries with so many different beers now that it forces the breweries to get creative. It almost feels like a competition to see who can come up with the most bizarre names/label art. I think that helps from a marketing standpoint as well since there are so many choices now they are looking for ways to stand out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:lol

Yeah, it can get pretty absurd and it is definitely not just Three Floyds. There are so many breweries with so many different beers now that it forces the breweries to get creative. It almost feels like a competition to see who can come up with the most bizarre names/label art. I think that helps from a marketing standpoint as well since there are so many choices now they are looking for ways to stand out.
One word. And you should be familiar with it since you live in Austin. Hipster.

Top Bottom