Archer: A look at Rod Marinelli's scheme

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A look at Rod Marinelli's scheme

February, 11, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Since Rod Marinelli was named the Dallas Cowboys' defensive coordinator, I've been asked more than a few times if the defense will look different in 2014.

Since Marinelli worked with Monte Kiffin in Tampa Bay for so long, the easy answer is no, it won't.

From 2010-12, Marinelli served as coordinator for the Chicago Bears after his stint as the head coach of the Detroit Lions. He had incredibly successful defenses. They forced a ton of turnovers (59 fumbles, 65 interceptions), scored 13 touchdowns and, most importantly, allowed the fourth-fewest points (904).

In 2012, the Bears had four Pro Bowl players in cornerbacks Tim Jennings and Charles Tillman, defensive end Julius Peppers and defensive tackle Henry Melton. They had a league-high 44 takeaways and finished in the top 10 in rush defense, pass defense and points allowed.

I wanted to get a feel for a Marinelli defense versus a Kiffin defense, so I watched two Bears games from 2012 against the Cowboys and Green Bay Packers. The Bears intercepted Tony Romo five times and forced a sixth turnover in their 34-18 win at AT&T Stadium in Week 4. The Packers game came in Week 15 and Chicago did not have Brian Urlacher. The Packers won, 21-13.

Like Kiffin, Marinelli did not employ a dime defense (six defensive backs) in either game. He played a nickel defense when faced with three-wide-receiver sets or empty packages. He brought five or more on a pass rush just 17 times in 98 pass plays.

Here's the breakdown:

Green Bay

Three-man pressure: None.
Four-man pressure: 34
Five-man or more pressure: 9

Dallas

Three-man pressure: 1
Four-man pressure: 44
Five-man or more pressure: 8

The Bears sacked Aaron Rodgers three times. They got Tony Romo once. While the Bears showed A-gap pressures with Urlacher and Lance Briggs against the Cowboys, they never brought both of them up the middle. Twice they brought the cornerback off the slot for a blitz. Most of the time Briggs was the extra rusher. The only time the Bears brought six rushers in the game came on Tillman's pick-six of Romo after a miscommunication with Dez Bryant.

Against the Packers, Marinelli used some zone blitzes, dropping Peppers into coverage with the slot corner and Briggs or Nick Roach bringing the pressure. He was more willing to bring both linebackers on blitzes up the middle against the Packers. Most of the pressure packages came on third-and-long, however the one time he brought seven rushers against Rodgers came on third-and-5 and the Bears got a stop.

Chicago played mostly zone in the two games I watched, which might not make guys likeBrandon Carr and Morris Claiborne happy. Kiffin was reluctant to play man coverage at times and Carr and Claiborne never really earned trust to play it more.

Against the Cowboys, Marinelli allowed his cornerbacks to press more (12 times, including eight in the first half). He did not want Bryant and/or Miles Austin to get a head of steam going off the line of scrimmage, which helped put pressure on Romo almost from the outset.

Against the Packers, the Bears played only four snaps of press coverage, two in each half.

The key to the defense was the line play. That's nothing new. That's what helped theSeattle Seahawks win a Super Bowl. That's what helped the Bears lead the league in takeaways in 2012. For this defense to work, the front four must get pressure, as witnessed by the low total of blitzes.

The Bears could get pressure with or without playing games up front with twists and stunts. It wasn't necessarily sacks. Remember, Romo was sacked just once in the game, but the Bears took it to the Cowboys' offensive line by just being active. Rodgers also felt pressure, although not as much.

So I'll go back to the original question: Will the Cowboys' defense look different in 2014? Schematically, I'd say not so much. And that's OK. The key, as it always is, will be the players playing it better.

“There's a certain philosophy, a certain defense they believe in,” linebacker Sean Lee said, “but we obviously have to get great at that base [defense] if we want to be able to build off that. I think Coach Marinelli has had a ton of success in the past. He's a great coordinator and we're going to have to find a way to improve individually if we want to play well within this defense.”

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The schemes last season were fine. Dallas just didn't have the right or healthy players to execute them. It could end up being the same problem next season if some folks do not return to health.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The schemes last season were fine. Dallas just didn't have the right or healthy players to execute them. It could end up being the same problem next season if some folks do not return to health.
It could also happen if we don't get the right players.

But I guess we just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed on the injured guys. That is what we do.

Cotton

Staff member
It could also happen if we don't get the right players.

But I guess we just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed on the injured guys. That is what we do.
There's the crux of the problem. We keep drafting injury-riddled players, and then even when our depth shows to be horrific we do nothing to address it. I expect the same thing to happen this coming draft and year.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If we run the same D as Seattle, then the scheme is fine.

The players suck....just like the GM who picks them.

Get some talented players in the Dallas D, and it can be dominant too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If we run the same D as Seattle, then the scheme is fine.

The players suck....just like the GM who picks them.

Get some talented players in the Dallas D, and it can be dominant too.
Yep. I believe I said that. I stated having the right or healthy players.

Cotton

Staff member
Yep. I believe I said that. I stated having the right or healthy players.
Thing is, we don't run the same scheme as Seattle.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thing is, we don't run the same scheme as Seattle.
Didn't say Dallas did. What I said was there wasn't anything wrong with Dallas' schemes they just needed the right or healthy players to execute them.

Cotton

Staff member
Didn't say Dallas did. What I said was there wasn't anything wrong with Dallas' schemes they just needed the right or healthy players to execute them.
And, Jones has no idea how to do that, nor does he realize the value of BPA... at frickin' all.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And, Jones has no idea how to do that. Nor, does he realize the value of BPA... at frickin' all.
Of course he doesn't. That's what Kiffin and Marinelli are for.

Cotton

Staff member
Of course he doesn't. That's what Kiffin and Marinelli are for.
It comes back to the GM to acquire talent. He talks to his coaches, but a GM is supposed to be able to draft for whatever is needed and not miss out on obvious BPA when it's in front of him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It comes back to the GM to acquire talent. He talks to his coaches, but a GM is supposed to be able to draft for whatever is needed and not miss out on obvious BPA when it's in front of him.
Well if that's the case then it won't matter what scheme Dallas uses (even Seattle's) if you don't get the right people. Your premise is that Dallas will never have the right personnel for any scheme.

Cotton

Staff member
Well if that's the case then it won't matter what scheme Dallas uses (even Seattle's) if you don't get the right people. Your premise is that Dallas will never have the right personnel for any scheme.
Pretty much.

Cotton

Staff member
Okay. Then what's your issue with my initial statement?
I don't have an issue with your initial statement. You moved the goalposts to try and argue that Marinelli and Kiffin should be the ones selecting players for the scheme, and ultimately that's not true.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't have an issue with your initial statement. You moved the goalposts to try and argue that Marinelli and Kiffin should be the ones selecting players for the scheme, and ultimately that's not true.
Well who do you think should select the players, the GM?
?

Cotton

Staff member
Yes, the GM should select the players.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Damn..LT is getting all sassy and shit.

Top Bottom