College Basketball Chatter

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'm not defending him. I'm defending what a normal fan might do in a similar situation.

Just because he is a regular attendee makes him extra bad?
It's because that douchebag has a history.

They showed him on ESPN last night doing this to an A&M player after he dunked the ball:

Other than that, he's just a normal fan.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is not just him, fans feel entitled to say whatever they want to players because they bought a ticket. I was at a minor league game and a fan kept on a player constantly. Just disrespectful stuff...eventually his teammates were over the rail going back and forth with the guy. Meanwhile, I was there with my kids and there was a big group of kids there too. Security had to run him...completely ridiculous.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To me, this looks worse because this is a 60 year old man who is screaming at college athletes.

Whether he used a racial slur or called him a piece of crap, why are you personally insulting this kid when he didn't do anything wrong?

When you add the guy's history and known reputation on top of that, it certainly warrants further disciplinary action.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't think it reflects badly on other fans at TTU. Unless you can show me that it never happens at any other school. There are idiots everywhere and not going to stereotype any other fan because of one nut job.
Exactly my point. This kind of thing is common. Like it or not.

The only reason this is blown up is because of the person who did it and his history that was easily dug up.

And, Deuce might be right. I might be letting my homer side defend this situation a little too much.

D

Deuce

Exactly my point. This kind of thing is common. Like it or not.

The only reason this is blown up is because of the person who did it and his history that was easily dug up.

And, Deuce might be right. I might be letting my homer side defend this situation a little too much.
It's not just his behavior that is blowing this up. It's the school standing by him that makes it weird as well. All they had to do was say they don't condone this behavior by fans and end it. But instead they are standing by him, putting his quotes on their site and making him out to be a good guy by saying it was his idea to give up the tickets despite them not asking him to.

Cotton

Staff member
It's not just his behavior that is blowing this up. It's the school standing by him that makes it weird as well. All they had to do was say they don't condone this behavior by fans and end it. But instead they are standing by him, putting his quotes on their site and making him out to be a good guy by saying it was his idea to give up the tickets despite them not asking him to.
Uhh...

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.

D

Deuce

Uhh...

Texas Tech is committed to sportsmanship and expects fans to abide by the rules set forth by the Big 12 Conference and the university. Comments such as those used by Mr. Orr are unacceptable and not condoned by Texas Tech University.
Uhh and if they stopped there it would have been cool. But they followed that statement up with the other garbage.

Cotton

Staff member
Uhh and if they stopped there it would have been cool. But they followed that statement up with the other garbage.
:lol

They said exactly what you said they should say.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I said they should have ended it there which they didn't. Apparently your red and black glasses aren't bifocals.
All they said after that was that he wasn't attending games. What's the deal with that? I'm sure they felt that the public would want to know whether he was going to be attending the games.

Cotton

Staff member
All they said after that was that he wasn't attending games. What's the deal with that? I'm sure they felt that the public would want to know whether he was going to be attending the games.
I guess they should publicly flog him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I said the guy was out of line for calling a 19 year old a piece of crap.
I don't think it's a problem. Plenty of people heckle athletes with far worse.

It doesn't matter that the kid is 19, he plays a sport on TV and in about 12 months will have more money than any of us will make in our lifetimes, besides UncleMilti.

You play college basketball, you should expect to hear things like "You suck" or "You piece of crap" occasionally.

dallen

Senior Tech
I don't think it's a problem. Plenty of people heckle athletes with far worse.

It doesn't matter that the kid is 19, he plays a sport on TV and in about 12 months will have more money than any of us will make in our lifetimes, besides UncleMilti.

You play college basketball, you should expect to hear things like "You suck" or "You piece of crap" occasionally.
So you don't have a problem with a 60 year old man insulting a 19 year old kid playing a game? I would like to think that we would not condone that in any situation as a society.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
So you don't have a problem with a 60 year old man insulting a 19 year old kid playing a game? I would like to think that we would not condone that in any situation as a society.
He plays games on TV and may be rich for a few years some day. That makes him a dancing monkey for our amusement.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So you don't have a problem with a 60 year old man insulting a 19 year old kid playing a game?
I don't have a problem with fans in the stands saying things like "you suck" or "you piece of crap" to either professional or near professional athletes. Completely amateur level athletes are a different matter, but college basketball is well beyond say, little league baseball or pee wee hockey or even high school sports.

I would have a problem with a 60 year old man belittling a 19 year old in another venue, but that was not the case here.

He plays games on TV and may be rich for a few years some day. That makes him a dancing monkey for our amusement.
Marcus Smart is an adult who is going to be going toe to toe with the best basketball players on the globe in a few short months, along with all the physicality that entails, and on top of that, he will be expected to put up with the pressure that comes with being a franchise player for an entire city of basketball fans, manage a small fortune in salary, and deal with the criticisms he gets from fans and sports media alike on a day-in, day-out basis.

And every one of us would trade our own lives for his in the blink of an eye.

I don't feel bad because some 60 year old nobody yells at him. We fans get emotional and say things that constitute heckling. There is nothing wrong with that. If Marcus Smart is incapable of dealing with that, then there is a 0% chance he will handle everything else he has in front of him.

If this particular fan was doing other things besides saying "You piece of crap" then that is another matter.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
Sometimes my employer does things or doesn't do things that make it look bad. I just facepalm, acknowledge it and move on.
If they had done something wrong here, I would. But, they didn't.

Cotton

Staff member
Correct. While a fan acted like a bit of an ass, the University itself did absolutely nothing wrong.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Okay, so what about the other segment of college basketball players, the vast majority who aren't NBA prospects and are there to pay for their degree in physical therapy or whatever? Am I allowed to heckle them? Should I check the draft guides before I call the next 19 year old amateur a piece of crap at a sporting event?

Just need the rules clarified before I attend my next game.

Top Bottom