Week 5 Gameday Chatter | Bengals vs. Cowboys | 10/09/2016

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Eli has been exceptionally terrible in this one. Missing tons of open receivers, completely lacking pocket awareness, etc.
He looked awful today. The Giants completely gave this game away tonight.

I still can't believe we lost to them, but can't wait to the rematch where we curb stop them on their turf.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Who cares how many TDs he's thrown for....it's the total TD drives that he's leading that counts.
But that is what Cowboys fans have become conditioned to believe what makes a great QB in the Romo era.

Stats. Numbers.

Nevermind that the two best QBs in team history were hardly statistical wonders. They just won.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

I don't know why I like this so much, but I do.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If you believe this, you have no clue what you're watching. Forcing to him is the QB doing that, not the play design.
Calling screens and slants to get Bryant going is "forcing it to Dez" -- you are going to him, calling plays for him deliberately, at the expense of other guys simply to get Bryant going. There is a difference between that and the QB simply looking him way too often, but Bryant is probably very high on the progression tree in just about every playcall.

In any case, with Romo, there would be way too many times where Dez didn't get involved enough. So I don't know how you could argue that it was a problem that Romo was "forcing it to him." I think the bigger problem was not getting him the ball enough, so I really don't know what you are talking about.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Exactly. I'm fine with the lack of the bombs, albeit fun to watch, but the overall offense is running better and more efficient.

It's like an Aikman vs Favre ran offense.

I'll take Aikman ran offense 10 out of 10 times.
I'm gonna say I don't think we ran a lot of "bombs" with Romo either. We went into longer route trees downfield more than we are doing with Dak. Dak is getting a LOT of quick reads (but is also doing a good job going through his progressions every time he has to).

But we never ran a lot of "bombs" either with Romo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tim McMahon just said that Jerry told him after the game that Romo is absolutely taking over when he's ready.

Sigh.
Yeah, I told you that during the game.

Taking out excited fan syndrome, Romo has earned the right to come back. Dak has earned the right to be inserted in again quickly if Romo falters.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Calling screens and slants to get Bryant going is "forcing it to Dez" -- you are going to him, calling plays for him deliberately, at the expense of other guys simply to get Bryant going. There is a difference between that and the QB simply looking him way too often, but Bryant is probably very high on the progression tree in just about every playcall.

In any case, with Romo, there would be way too many times where Dez didn't get involved enough. So I don't know how you could argue that it was a problem that Romo was "forcing it to him." I think the bigger problem was not getting him the ball enough, so I really don't know what you are talking about.
This is true.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Taking out excited fan syndrome, Romo has earned the right to come back. Dak has earned the right to be inserted in again quickly if Romo falters.
You honestly think if they're that idiotic to make that move that they're going to give Romo a short leash? I doubt it. It'll be one excuse after another from rust, to injuries, to blaming it on the defense, etc and that's if he even makes it through the game.

Romo isn't, nor will he ever be, Brady. For all the passing stats that he has he has never been anything more than a regular season champion. He has had 10 years to seal the deal and bring home a championship and has managed 2 playoff wins. You can make whatever excuses that you want as to why he didn't do better but facts are facts.

Knowing how Jerruh runs this team I hope it blows up in his face because at this point there is absolutely no reason to.

If this was last season and we didn't have Dak then I'd agree 100%, but that's a long time ago now.

I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that sees the swagger that this team has now, and one that we never saw even during the prime years of Romo, can anyone honestly say that it's suddenly going to carry over if Romo comes back when we never had that with him be begin with? This is not the same team any more but I can fully see the Cowboys of old making a return if Romo starts again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You honestly think if they're that idiotic to make that move that they're going to give Romo a short leash? I doubt it.
I don't know what they'll do regarding how long of a leash they'll give Romo.

I just know that Romo deserves a chance.

Romo isn't, nor will he ever be, Brady. For all the passing stats that he has he has never been anything more than a regular season champion. He has had 10 years to seal the deal and bring home a championship and has managed 2 playoff wins. You can make whatever excuses that you want as to why he didn't do better but facts are facts.
Not sure you realize who you are talking to, barking up this tree.

I was clamoring for this organization to draft Romo's successor in his late 20s or early 30s, when people like Iamtdg and Cowboysrock were telling us we couldn't afford to do that because Romo still had good years left, when it was also blatantly clear Romo might not be the guy to get us over the hump with his history of clutch time chokes (and he does have that history, sorry Geng).

I was calling for Romo's replacement before you ever started posting at this board. So let's not act like this has anything to do with making excuses for him, because I've never done that. His chokes are noted... we needed a replacement to hedge against them... now we have one. Problem solved.

So I'm glad as shit we have a 23 year old option now.

But Romo deserves to be allowed to play himself out of it. He's earned that much. I wasn't gonna draft Wentz (which I wanted to trade away resources to do, if you remember), and immediately make him the starter. I just wanted an option. Now we have one in Prescott. But I didn't want to take the team away from Romo because I'm pouty and cranky that the team went 1-11 without him last year and I'm willing to flush away near-MVP like performance that I had just finished seeing last time he had a running game. With a team that looks remarkably like this one, actually.

That's all this is.... Romo is old news and we are mad about him getting hurt and costing us a losing season, time to move on.

Except that's not logical.

I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that sees the swagger that this team has now, and one that we never saw even during the prime years of Romo
That's just plain false. This team had just as much "swagger" in knocking off the Seahawks in Seattle and going on that 12-4 run. Plenty of swagger in 2006, 2007 and 2009. Don't make stuff up.

can anyone honestly say that it's suddenly going to carry over if Romo comes back when we never had that with him be begin with? This is not the same team any more but I can fully see the Cowboys of old making a return if Romo starts again.
No, you can't see that, because it's made up. We have more swagger now, give me a friggin' break. How about we are remarkably similar to the 2014 team? Except we have a Claiborne playing well (which nothing to do with Dak), a deeper DL with a legit pass rush option in DeMarcus Lawrence (and actual NFL players in reserve instead of street free agents), a better running back amazingly enough, and a more mature and better offensive line.

Texas Ace loves to say silly things like "We haven't seen this team look like this since ________" every time they go on a 2-3 game winning streak and what you are saying is another variant of it, except it's not true.

This is pretty much exactly the same team as before in 2014... except a little more talented.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I bet Eli is wishing that Odell Beckham would've acted out last night in order to provide a distraction from Eli's marginal play.

Spotlights back on you, playboy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think I've said this before......I think we're starting to see some regression from Aaron Rodgers.

He doesn't consistently put up great performances week to week like he used to.

3 months ago I was terrified of this match up. The Cowboys defense was supposed to be a train wreck and Aaron Rodgers once again had his full compliment of receivers. But now......this is a game that I think the Cowboys have a great chance of winning.

Aside from one great half of football against the Lions, the Packers haven't looked looked like world beaters.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Dak has earned the right to continue starting. The best you can hope for with Romo is that he continues doing what Dak is doing. So why bench Dak? Other than just blind loyalty.

Jerry will do whatever Jerry wants to do but that doesn't make it the right decision. Creating a potential QB problem where there isn't one is a massive mistake.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bet Eli is wishing that Odell Beckham would've acted out last night in order to provide a distraction from Eli's marginal play.

Spotlights back on you, playboy.
It was worse then marginal. It was awful QB play. I saw them go back and show all his missed throws last night and it was insane. He was throwing the ball in the dirt half the time too. Amazing how a couple superbowls can buy you years of sucking.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It was worse then marginal. It was awful QB play. I saw them go back and show all his missed throws last night and it was insane. He was throwing the ball in the dirt half the time too. Amazing how a couple superbowls can buy you years of sucking.
He and Romo have been complete opposites.

One guy has been great for most of his career, but has made backbreaking mistakes at the most opportune times, so it's earned him the unfair "choker" label and that has resulted in him being criminally underrated.

The other guy has been average at best, but has found ways to turn into this completely different QB when it matters most, and that has resulted in him being overrated and considered to be a high level QB when he is not.

Imagine if Eli played for the Cowboys under the Jerry and Garrett circus. How much worse would he be?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think I've said this before......I think we're starting to see some regression from Aaron Rodgers.

He doesn't consistently put up great performances week to week like he used to.

3 months ago I as terrified of this match up. The Cowboys defense was supposed to be a train wreck and Aaron Rodgers once again had his full compliment of receivers. But now......this is a game that I think the Cowboys have a great chance of winning.

Aside from one great half of football against the Lions, the Packers haven't looked looked like world beaters.
Yup.

I'm starting to like our chances next week for the reasons you stated, but also after coming off of our best defensive performance in a long time.

Everybody was great yesterday. The line finally got consistent pressure and the secondary was outstanding. If we can build off that and put together a solid effort next week, we can beat those chumps.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Interesting.

That means one of two things:

Either Jerry doesn't want to answer that because that would really force him to consider not playing Romo, or he's just tired of being asked about it because he's 100% set in his mind that it's Romo no matter what.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Interesting.

That means one of two things:

Either Jerry doesn't want to answer that because that would really force him to consider not playing Romo, or he's just tired of being asked about it because he's 100% set in his mind that it's Romo no matter what.
He has already said it. Im sure he is just tired of answering the same question over and over again from every reporter that talks to him.

Top Bottom