George: Why handing out new contracts now would be a bad idea for 6-1 Cowboys

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of Harris.

He's kinda ideal. He's not a negative at WR so you don't have to feel bad suiting up a guy for ST only, he's actually a guy who can contribute at WR unlike schlubs like Sam Hurd. He hasn't gotten the looks but he's definitely got more ability.

Plus he's eventually going to break another return.
But is he? It's already been mentioned, but so far this guy has hindered the team more than he's helped it. Typically, guys that fall under that category aren't brought back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
But is he? It's already been mentioned, but so far this guy has hindered the team more than he's helped it. Typically, guys that fall under that category aren't brought back.
So you just forget everything he has done as a returner, when judging his long term worth?

I say his track record far outweighs what has happened 7 weeks into the season.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
So you just forget everything he has done as a returner, when judging his long term worth?

I say his track record far outweighs what has happened 7 weeks into the season.
You act as if he's the second coming of Dante Hall or something. Historically speaking, good return men don't have the longest of shelf lives, not to mention the constant churn at the top of their leaderboards. It's indicative of a position that requires a lot physically to excel at, and even the smallest drop off in speed/acceleration reduces these guys to average players in this regard. And I'm sorry, but his job isn't exactly one where you just swallow the tough times (fumbles, muffed punts) because you hope he can return to the player he used to be. Bottom line, he's a special teamer. And he has looked like shit for almost half of this season. But, if you disagree with my assessment that ST guys who play like ass aren't brought back, well, good on ya.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
You act as if he's the second coming of Dante Hall or something. Historically speaking, good return men don't have the longest of shelf lives, not to mention the constant churn at the top of their leaderboards. It's indicative of a position that requires a lot physically to excel at, and even the smallest drop off in speed/acceleration reduces these guys to average players in this regard. And I'm sorry, but his job isn't exactly one where you just swallow the tough times (fumbles, muffed punts) because you hope he can return to the player he used to be. Bottom line, he's a special teamer. And he has looked like shit for almost half of this season. But, if you disagree with my assessment that ST guys who play like ass aren't brought back, well, good on ya.
He's looked like ass as a returner, but his coverage is still above average...:unsure

Landry

DCC 4Life
We kept Mccray around because of special teams and he sucked ass.

shane

DCC 4Life
Dez I'm not worried about because Jerry isn't letting him walk, but I really hope we sign Murray. I can see the Jones' talking themselves into the RB-is-easy-to-replace angle. While that isn't necessarily false, I love his toughness and attitude. At the end of the day, why break up a great thing?
Behind their offensive line especially, I don't think we need a top rusher. Better to let Murray walk so we can resign some of our guys and bring in new talent, especially on defense.

And I'd rather keep Beasley than Harris but it wouldn't be a big deal if both of them walked.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
My point was that you are basing everything on 7 games and you are ready to send him packing. Also, I don't think he has looked like ass, he has not played great but let's just agree to disagree.

Good returners are not a dime a dozen and Harris has been a very good returner for the last 2 years, in your mind is all of that forgotten because of 1 fumbled punt or do you not think he has been a very good return guy?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Behind their offensive line especially, I don't think we need a top rusher. Better to let Murray walk so we can resign some of our guys and bring in new talent, especially on defense.

And I'd rather keep Beasley than Harris but it wouldn't be a big deal if both of them walked.
Harris does much more for this team than Beasley why would you want to keep him over Harris?

I think Harris is gone because we have to many other guys to try and sign but he is a valuable piece to any team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He's kinda ideal. He's not a negative at WR so you don't have to feel bad suiting up a guy for ST only, he's actually a guy who can contribute at WR unlike schlubs like Sam Hurd. He hasn't gotten the looks but he's definitely got more ability.

Harris has been a pretty big disappointment. Still good on coverage units, but he hasn't stepped forward as a receiver at all and he has regressed as a returner.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
My point was that you are basing everything on 7 games and you are ready to send him packing. Also, I don't think he has looked like ass, he has not played great but let's just agree to disagree.

Good returners are not a dime a dozen and Harris has been a very good returner for the last 2 years, in your mind is all of that forgotten because of 1 fumbled punt or do you not think he has been a very good return guy?
He's had more than just the one miscue, and he hasn't looked good on returns. I agree that good returners are difficult to find, but it's not impossible. And sure, if he turns it around, then bring him back. But if he continues to perform like this for the rest of the season, I am not at all opposed to letting him walk. The guy has been fantastic years prior, but he's not playing a premier position where a 'wait and see' approach would be a little more realistic.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's had more than just the one miscue, and he hasn't looked good on returns. I agree that good returners are difficult to find, but it's not impossible. And sure, if he turns it around, then bring him back. But if he continues to perform like this for the rest of the season, I am not at all opposed to letting him walk. The guy has been fantastic years prior, but he's not playing a premier position where a 'wait and see' approach would be a little more realistic.
I actually think he will be the odd man out, with all of the people we need to resign I think he has to be one of the least priorities.

I just don't think his best days are behind him.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Harris doesn't return kickoffs because most are in or through the end zone. Most anyone could handle that part now because about everyone has a kicker that can get it there. As to punts the return average hasn't been great this year but I haven't compared it to prior years. Without grading him as as player as a whole,
his impact this year is minimal. He could almost be replaced by someone who can field a kick or punt using the kneel and fair catch signals.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Harris has been a pretty big disappointment. Still good on coverage units, but he hasn't stepped forward as a receiver at all and he has regressed as a returner.
He hasn't stepped forward at WR, but he's still better at WR than Sam Hurd was.... or than Danny McCray was at safety. Those guys were scrubs at their natural positions, Harris is actually decent in his role as a fourth WR.

If we are gonna pay a special teams ace, Harris is the one to pay instead of the Hurds and McCrays. He returns AND covers kicks, AND he's a plus at his position. If you have to stick him in the game on offense, he's not a liability like some other STer players are.

He hasn't done much returning the ball this year but I think we're a bit clouded from some recent fumbles. I'd let him have more time before I say he doesn't have the skills to be a good returner anymore.

Carl

RIP Brother

Harris needs to wake up. Two distracted games in a row.

hstour

Brand New Member
Agreed.

I was a big Harris fan, but he's not making any progress as a WR and his contributions on ST this year have been practically non-existent. Time to let him walk unless he completely turns it around.

Dez I'm not worried about because Jerry isn't letting him walk, but I really hope we sign Murray. I can see the Jones' talking themselves into the RB-is-easy-to-replace angle. While that isn't necessarily false, I love his toughness and attitude. At the end of the day, why break up a great thing?

I'd like to keep all LB's, and I don't think it will cost much. None of those guys should be making more than 4 mill a year at most.
Don't discount ALL his ST contributions. He is the leading tackler on punt/KO coverage.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At this point, I'm okay with letting Harris go.
Tear.

He's in some kind of funk, but the kid is a playmaker who IMO still hasn't gotten enough opportunities this year, especially on offense.

I know he's had the bad fumbles, but the man has proven he can make big plays, too.

Top Bottom