Then Pro Bowler, Now “Mr. Mom”: Former Cowboys Player Has New Role

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By Kristi Scales | Oct 14, 2014 | Permalink

When you see this photo of the guy with the long hair, do you immediately recognize him as one of the key Cowboys Pro Bowl players from the Super Bowl teams of the 1990’s? This is former Cowboys center Mark Stepnoski who had long hair during his stint in Dallas (1989-94, 1999-2001), but not this long! Mark was on the Cowboys sideline last Sunday prior to the big win at Seattle.

Let’s catch up with the 5-time Pro Bowl center and winner of two Super Bowl rings.

Q: What the heck are you doing here?

A: “I live in Vancouver and just came down for the game. I also came down for the Cowboys’ game here in Seattle in 2012,” so it’s nice to be back and catch up.”

Q: What keeps you busy when you’re home in Canada?

A: “At home I’m mostly Mr. Mom. I have a 5 year old boy, Sebastian, so I like to spend time with him.

Q: So you’re car-pooling and heating up Spaghetti O’s and all that fun stuff?

A: (laughing) His mother does most of the work like carpooling, but I’m there to help our as Mr. Mom.

Q: During pregame warm ups, you were on the field visiting with Jason Garrett. You two have been close friends since you played together on the Cowboys on the those great teams in the 1990’s. Did you know back then that Jason would some day become an NFL head coach?

A: “It doesn’t surprise me that he’s in that line of work because he was always a very bright player who played a long time and learned a lot about the game,” Step replied. “He also worked with a lot of great minds when he played, both coaches and players. I know he learned a lot during his playing career and, now that he’s a coach, he’s ascended to a very high position at a very young age. That’s good for him and the Cowboys and I hope he continues this for a very long time.”

Q: Since you’re an expert on the subject of an offensive line, how do you think the current group of linemen is playing? And I’m sure you’re happy about the fact that the Cowboys have 3-of-their-last-4 first round draft picks on offensive linemen.

A: “Yeah, it’s working so far and I know that, in previous years, protecting the passer was a problem for the team,” said Step. “If you’re going to invest that amount of time and money in the quarterback, you’ve got to keep him on two feet. So I think it was smart to go out and get some protection. And now they’re running the ball as well as anybody in the league, so it’s paying off in that way as well. When you have a multi-dimensional offense, you need a line that is talented in both run-blocking and pass-blocking. It looks like the Cowboys have both.”

Q: What about the current center Travis Frederick? He’s playing your old position.

A: “I’ve watched him, yeah, and I like the way he’s playing. Same thing with the rookie guard (Zack Martin). I like both and they’re fun to watch. The entire line is playing well.”
------------------
Holy crap. Step looks like he's about 170lbs.

I thought weed gave you the munchies. Looks like it's a miracle diet drug.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Still looks like someone in a heavy metal band. I am surprised he is that trim.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dude knows how to take care of himself. Anyone gotten a gander at Nate? Not to mention what it took him to slim down...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still looks like someone in a heavy metal band. I am surprised he is that trim.
He was a skinny center in the NFL as it was. I think he was just a guy who always struggled to keep weight on in in the NFL. Someone that is just naturally not that big. Of course he looks extra skinny in that picture.

Rayman

Brand New Member
He was a skinny center in the NFL as it was. I think he was just a guy who always struggled to keep weight on in in the NFL. Someone that is just naturally not that big. Of course he looks extra skinny in that picture.
I think you are right about him struggling to keep the weight on but damn. He is smaller than Garrett now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was a technician, but he could be bull-rushed. When Frank Cornish took over for him I barely noticed.

My jaw dropped watching Ray Donaldson take over for him in 1995. He just blew the Giants off the line, demonstrating power Stepnoski could only wish he had. I can only imagine what Donaldson would have been like had the team gotten a hold of him sooner.

That's the funny thing about that line, great players played on it but seemingly never at the same time.

I'd have loved to have seen Tuinei, Allen, Donaldson, Gogan, and Big E together but each in their Cowboys prime.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's what happens when you aren't in a "NFL weight program" anymore, i.e. getting pumped full of God only knows what kind of roids and such. Alan Faneca lost like 180 lbs too within a few years of retiring.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He was a technician, but he could be bull-rushed. When Frank Cornish took over for him I barely noticed.

My jaw dropped watching Ray Donaldson take over for him in 1995. He just blew the Giants off the line, demonstrating power Stepnoski could only wish he had. I can only imagine what Donaldson would have been like had the team gotten a hold of him sooner.

That's the funny thing about that line, great players played on it but seemingly never at the same time.

I'd have loved to have seen Tuinei, Allen, Donaldson, Gogan, and Big E together but each in their Cowboys prime.
Nate was better in his prime than Gogan was at his best.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's what happens when you aren't in a "NFL weight program" anymore, i.e. getting pumped full of God only knows what kind of roids and such. Alan Faneca lost like 180 lbs too within a few years of retiring.
IN Nate's case, I believe he had the gastric bypass. He was still pretty large after retiring (and...uh..doing a short stint in correctional facilities :unsure )

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nate was better in his prime than Gogan was at his best.
Not a big fan of big Nate. Gogan was nasty and fought for his position. When he finally beat out Gesek, he was better than Nate IMO. And as far as LG is concerned Nate couldn't hold a candle to LA.

dallen

Senior Tech
Not a big fan of big Nate. Gogan was nasty and fought for his position. When he finally beat out Gesek, he was better than Nate IMO. And as far as LG is concerned Nate couldn't hold a candle to LA.
:lol Not many can

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Agree to disagree then. Obviously Nate was no Larry Allen, but he wasn't ever beat out by Gesek or Gogan because he was better than them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Nate lost a ton of weight too, but he looks like a big guy who slimmed down.....what you would expect, basically.

Stepnoski doesn't look like he's slimmed down, he looks like a completely different person. I'm in disbelief looking at his picture because he just doesn't have the bone structure there to have ever played O-lineman in the NFL.

Look at how skinny his legs are in that pic.....that's crazy. If the guy is in good health, then that's great. But his figure is so dramatically different that I thought maybe he was ill.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Nate lost a ton of weight too, but he looks like a big guy who slimmed down.....what you would expect, basically.

Stepnoski doesn't look like he's slimmed down, he looks like a completely different person. I'm in disbelief looking at his picture because he just doesn't have the bone structure there to have ever played O-lineman in the NFL.

Look at how skinny his legs are in that pic.....that's crazy. If the guy is in good health, then that's great. But his figure is so dramatically different that I thought maybe he was ill.
Nate was basically the first 320+lb. lineman in the NFL, Stepnoski was at most LISTED as 280...

That is a big difference.

Top Bottom