Cowboys at Bears | Week 14 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's not giving up on the run. It's a two minute offense. Calling a couple passes isn't "giving up on the run" in that situation.

They went back to it to start the second half as well, which kind of defeats your point there.
They should have been there. If Garrett's excuse for passing is the same as yours, he's too much of a robot to run an offense. You have to be astute enough to know your situation.

By the time they got back to the run they were down a couple scores, so no that doesn't defeat my point, it makes it.

Had we stuck with what was working and at the same time protected our defense, that might have been a 14 point swing. Instead, Garrett stuck a funnel in the drain.

It might not have mattered in the end because the defense was SO bad but Garrett mismanaged this game.

kidd

DCC 4Life
It may have been somewhat understandable when the defense let Manning and the Broncos score at will (I still find it inexcusable BTW) but McCown? A career backup?

Genghis Khan

Against Denver, I guess the offense wasn't good because they were cold and couldn't get in a rhythm because the defense was so bad.

Oh wait...

Genghis Khan

It may have been somewhat understandable when the defense let Manning and the Broncos score at will (I still find it inexcusable BTW) but McCown? A career backup?
It's never excusable. The defense sucked. No one is saying otherwise. But you seem to be arguing that when the defense is this bad, it doesn't matter what the offense does. That's false.

The defense was by far the biggest problem tonight, but the offense wasn't good enough either.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
:lol Riiiiiiight.
Garretts offense put up 200 yards rushing and the online went from weakness to a positive. Romo is putting up fewer turnovers this year and the offense is the only unit that does its job. How is it his fault Jerry is a bad GM?

Genghis Khan

I don't see how me being a Romo homer has squat to do with this. The defense lost this game...pure and simple. No agendas for me here. Why would there be when nobody has blame Romo for this loss? Nobody should blame anyone except the defense. IIRC, they only got one flipping sack the whole game and it was a gimme.
Because you even mentioned Romo when defending the offense when no one brought him up. Obviously good or bad the offensive performance reflects on Romo to some degree, just like it does the coach. It's not exactly a stretch.

data

Forbes #1
Lions are gonna lose.

As is usually the case in recent years with the Cowboys on a tight race for the division, the other team just doesn't ever stop winning down the stretch.
2013 - Eagles 5-0 so far.
2012 - Redskins finish 7-0. Cowboys 0-2
2011 - Giants finish 3-1. Cowboys 1-4
2008 - Eagles finish 4-1. Cowboys 1-3
2006 - Eagles finish 5-0. Cowboys 1-3 (Cowboys get Wild Card, Eagles win NFC East)
2005 - Giants 5-2, Redskins 5-0. Cowboys 2-4 (Giants/Redskins go to playoffs. Cowboys miss)

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Dang everyone on the SC panel pretty much just blamed Jerry. They all said he should fire himself.

Genghis Khan

But the offense didn't suck. It put up 21 points in the early fourth quarter and was therefore probably on pace for at least an average showing if the defense hadn't put it at such a disadvantage.

I never said the offense sucked. It wasn't good enough.

By the time they got around to putting up 21 the game was over. They had opportunities to do more than they did but failed.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They should have been there. If Garrett's excuse for passing is the same as yours, he's too much of a robot to run an offense. You have to be astute enough to know your situation.
I know the situation is that I want points before the half since the Bears were getting it to start the third and a drive that featured all runs would have taken way longer than the minute and a half that we had.

By the time they got back to the run they were down a couple scores, so no that doesn't defeat my point, it makes it.
You don't have a point then.

When the team goes to a two minute offense trying to score quickly before the half, that is a noted and allowable exception to their game plan and does not constitute giving up on anything.

Had we stuck with what was working and at the same time protected our defense, that might have been a 14 point swing. Instead, Garrett stuck a funnel in the drain.
It might have, but then it's waving a white flag at getting any points before the half with a minute and a half to go. That's coaching scared and I won't blame a coach for taking a shot at scoring in that situation.

It might not have mattered in the end because the defense was SO bad but Garrett mismanaged this game.
Passing in the two minute offense isn't mismanaging the game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

By the time they got around to putting up 21 the game was over. They had opportunities to do more than they did but failed.
Well, again, this debate started over the fact that there were going to be people who said this was just as much the offense's fault as the defense's.

Which is quite laughable.

Glad you agree then.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Against Denver, I guess the offense wasn't good because they were cold and couldn't get in a rhythm because the defense was so bad.

Oh wait...
Pointing to one example where it didn't happen doesn't mean it never happens.

Genghis Khan

Didn't look like it to me.

We see what we want to see.

We had the ball in the first half with the chance to take the lead and take it to halftime basically. We went passpasspasspass (even though the run had been working fantastically), failed, and gave them enough time to go up two scores.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's never excusable. The defense sucked. No one is saying otherwise. But you seem to be arguing that when the defense is this bad, it doesn't matter what the offense does. That's false.

The defense was by far the biggest problem tonight, but the offense wasn't good enough either.
If the defense was average, the offense would have been good enough.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah, generally when the defense allows scores every single drive, the game will be over quickly, so of course the game was over by time they got to 21, or it damn near was, anyway. But it wasn't quite "garbage time" and it was reasonable to expect the offense would have kept scoring if they didn't have to throw their gameplan out the window.

The point you are ignoring is that it didn't take the offense an unreasonable amount of chances to get to 21 themselves.

Putting up 14 in a half is pretty good. That's on pace for 28 a game, which would be awesome if you did it every game.

Which is coincidentally what we scored today.

Clff15701

DCC 4Life
Firing the GM is the only fix period. No coach in the world can turn this bunch of backups into winners. The media needs to get on his ass. Why should Arlington pay for a stadium when the GM doesn't know how to build a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom