MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm not even sure we will get Cruz. The asst gm said they feel comfortable with the team as far as needs go. Now can spend on wants. Made it sound like they weren't going to initiate anything else but listen if brought to them.

Think they still need another bat.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I only wanted to go 3 years, but I'll take 4 for Granderson...now sign Arroyo and look at deals for Murphy and Davis/Duda.
I like the move. Mets can potentially contend for the division in a couple years and I think Grandy will probably still be a pretty good player at that point. Solid fielder and should maintain his power at the plate. The badly declining AVG/OBP is concerning but he's a good ballplayer and, from all accounts, a good teammate.

Carp

DCC 4Life
One other upside to this is that with Lagares in CF...and I assume C. Young in RF and Granderson in LF...the OF defense is pretty stellar.

I want Arroyo now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know the Yanks signed Kelly Johnson, but I could see them and the Mets matching up in a deal with Gardner and Murphy being the key players.

D

Deuce

[h=1]Cox, La Russa, Torre Elected To Hall Of Fame[/h]By Steve Adams [December 9 at 10:46am CST]

The Major League Baseball Hall of Fame's Expansion Era committee announced today that managers Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre have all been unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame. No players were elected by the 16-man committee, and also noticeably absent is former MLBPA executive director Marvin Miller.

Cox, 72, finished his managerial career with a record of 2,504-2,001. He managed the Blue Jays for four seasons but is most famous for serving as the Braves' skipper for 25 seasons, during which time he won a World Series title and also captured five National League pennants.

The 69-year-old La Russa brought home three AL pennants, three NL pennants and is a three-time World Series champion as a manager -- once with the A's and twice with the Cardinals. In 33 seasons as a manager between the White Sox, A's and Cards, La Russa compiled a 2,728-2,365 record.

Torre, 73, managed at the Major League level for 29 seasons, leading the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Yankees and Dodgers over the course of his career. Torre captured six American League pennants with the Yankees and led the Bronx Bombers to four World Series victories in a five-year span from 1996-2000. He finished with a career record of 2,236-1,997.

Remember that this is a separate vote from the annual Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA) Hall of Fame vote. The results of that ballot -- which features candidates such as Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Jeff Bagwell, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff and many more -- will be announced next month on Jan. 8.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs are shopping Jeff Samardzija hard this winter. This will be the final year of his contract and they must not be sold on him as a critical piece of their rotation going forward. He showed promise in 2012, his first year as a starter. Looked really good for the first half of 2013 too. If Theo Epstein operated like Jerry Jones he would have locked him up to an expensive extension mid-season. Glad he didn't. Samardzija was pretty awful the second half. I think he still has potential to be a mid-rotation starter but may end up as only a #4 type. I agree with the Cubs strategy though. They're asking for a lot and if they don't get what they want they'll just keep him and try again to trade him in-season. Not the worst idea to sign him long-term either if the numbers are reasonable but I think they want to move him rather than pay him.

Rev

Staff member
We will give you Soto back for him and Edwards.

Rev

Staff member
Phillies shopping Dominic Brown. Might be worth an inquiry.

Rev

Staff member
Twins making a push for Arroyo. Who are these big spenders?

Tony D

DCC 4Life
I know the Yanks signed Kelly Johnson, but I could see them and the Mets matching up in a deal with Gardner and Murphy being the key players.
Yes, Johnson isn't penciled in as our starting second baseman just yet (sorry Deuce). Cashman has been saying they still need a second baseman. I could see Johnson platooning at third though with a Mark Reynolds until Arod is back (if ever).

Rev

Staff member
Yes, Johnson isn't penciled in as our starting second baseman just yet (sorry Deuce). Cashman has been saying they still need a second baseman. I could see Johnson platooning at third though with a Mark Reynolds until Arod is back (if ever).
What's the deal with Infante? Thought the yankees were going after him?

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Nelson Cruz meeting with Rangers today and want him to return per Buster Olney.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
Doubtful. I read the O's are getting in on him and that will at least drive the price up.
Most likely. Choo started out at 100 and now is wanting Ellsbury range. Cruz started 4/75 and now probably 100. I will take the 4/75 now and consider myself lucky.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Most likely. Choo started out at 100 and now is wanting Ellsbury range. Cruz started 4/75 and now probably 100. I will take the 4/75 now and consider myself lucky.
Nelson Cruz Rumors: Monday
By Steve Adams [December 9 at 3:55pm CST]

Nelson Cruz is one of the top power bats remaining on the market. Here are Monday's rumors pertaining to the longtime Ranger...

The Rangers' comfort level with Cruz has been a two-year deal to this point, according Olney (on Twitter). However, Cruz wants a three-year pact from the Rangers.

Earlier Updates

The Rangers met with Cruz's agents today, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney, who adds that a second meeting could take place tonight. The Rangers want Cruz back in Texas, Olney adds.
The Orioles met with Cruz's agents at the Wasserman Media Group today, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). According to Rosenthal, the Rangers and Mariners also remain as possibilities for Cruz.

Rev

Staff member
Now I'm seeing Rangers have been comfortable with a two year deal for Cruz but Cruz wants a three year deal. Think that was before the meeting today. Point is they lost out on Lee because of one year and I hope they dont lose out because of a last year.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
What's the deal with Infante? Thought the yankees were going after him?
I think they'll look into Infante. That or trade. Or Stephen Drew if he wants to play second until Jeter retires or gets hurt.

Rev

Staff member
The Seattle Mariners are being very aggressive in their pursuit of more hitters. They are interested in many outfielders, with one of their main targets being Nelson Cruz. While they may be interested in him, it doesn't look like he's interested in them. The Mariners offered Cruz a five-year, $75 million deal and he rejected it, according to Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times. Cruz was expected to land a decent sized contract, but not of this size. The thought of him rejecting it is mind blowing. Either he's crazy or he has a very good market willing to pay him top dollar. One team that has been very interested in Cruz is the Baltimore Orioles and it sounds like he would like to play for him. -

http://www.sportsinjuryalert.com/201....9P78zkQH.dpuf

Rev

Staff member
Looks like every team is bailing on Choo. Boras priced him too high to start out with and then went even higher when Ellsbury got the bank.

Top Bottom