One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sean Lee on comments about Cowboys being 'Hollywood': 'If you're distracted or you have lost focus, it’s your own fault'

SportsDayDFW.com

Published: 06 December 2013 10:36 PM

Updated: 06 December 2013 10:36 PM Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee appeared Friday on KRLD-FM to talk about his return from injury and the Cowboys' game against the Chicago Bears this week. Here are some highlights.

On how he feels coming back from injury to face the Chicago Bears this week:

“I feel really good. It’s been tough. I’ve been lucky to have a bye week. I’ve been out for about four weeks, but I’ve only missed two games, and I’ve put a lot of hard work into trying to get back and try and miss as few games as possible … This was a game I was looking forward to getting back to and playing.”

On comments from former Cowboys players that playing in Dallas was too “Hollywood”:

“I think we have an unbelievable opportunity to focus on football here. We have everything you could want to focus and become the best football player you can be. If you’re distracted or you have lost focus, it’s your own fault.”

On facing former teammate Jay Ratliff:

“Jay played unbelievably hard when he was here. He’s a great football player. He’s a guy who on Sunday you wanted to battle with, because he played extremely hard, and I’m wishing him the best. I hope he has a great career going forward and has a lot of success, so there’s no hard feelings when it comes to that.”

On how the Cowboys plan to stop the Bears’ offense:

“From a linebacking standpoint, trying to stop [Matt] Forte, who I think is as a complete back as you’re going to find in the NFL, meaning that he’s unbelievable at running the football, he’s great out of the backfield, and he can block really really well. He’s a threat in all phases, and so for us, finding a way to stop him in the run game, not allowing him to catch too many passes out of the backfield, will be big for the linebackers.”

On how the defense played in his absence:

“I thought across the board, we played better and better. We played better in both those games. I thought the Raiders game, we did a great job of stopping the run against an offense that’s done a great job running the ball. I like what Bruce Carter’s done. I think he’s continually improved, made a lot of plays for us.”

On if he will go sleeveless in the Chicago cold:

“I’ve already shown everyone I can play football well, and I’m going to try to be as warm as possible, so if that means sleeves and spandex, so be it. I’m not out there to prove I’m tough because I don’t mind the cold. I’m out there to prove I’m tough because I can make plays.

“It’s one of those deals, though; when you start playing, and you get on the field, hot, cold, you really don’t think about it. You really just go out and play, and if you’re in good enough shape, it really shouldn’t matter.”

On the performance of Kyle Wilber in his absence:

“He showed a lot of ability to be versatile in the 3-4 defense, and he can rush the passer with his hand down, and he’s done an unbelievable job standing up, really learning that position within a week or two, and then going on the football field and making a ton of plays. And it’s a testament to his hard work, it’s a testament to his ability.

“I think there’s a transition that’s a little bit tough, but he seemed to handle it with ease.”

On the defense playing dime while Lee was out:

“I think we have the ability to go dime at any point because of Barry Church. He plays safety, but he can play like a linebacker. He can be in the box, he can tackle, he can read, he can blitz, he can do a lot of things. Having that ability will be something that’s big for us going forward. Now, I think health-wise, I’ll be ready to play an entire game, play all three downs, so I don’t think for me health-wise, that’ll be an issue.”

Cotton

Staff member
Film study big for Cowboys' Dan Bailey

December, 7, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – You wouldn’t think a kicker would study much film before a game, but Dallas kicker Dan Bailey is an exception.

Not only has he tried to decipher the Chicago Bears' kick-return game, but he has also studied Bears kicker Robbie Gould. Bailey has never kicked at Soldier Field and wants to see how Gould kicks going in both directions, especially with the cold and windy conditions expected for Monday night.

“Since I’ve never played there I’m going to have to figure it out when I get there,” Bailey said, “but I watch film and see what the wind does. I watched multiple games and kind of see what lines their guy takes. It looks like it’s been pretty windy there almost all the time. I do as much homework as I can from a film standpoint and ultimately I have to just go out there and see what it’s like the day of.”

Before the Cowboys played the New York Giants at MetLife Stadium on Nov. 24, Bailey and punter Chris Jones went through earlier and longer pregame warmups to get accustomed to the wind.

“It ended up coming down to a kick and I’m glad we put in the extra prep because we knew exactly where we needed to be and where we wanted to be in that situation,” Bailey said. “I’ll probably do the same thing in Chicago just to try and prepare myself the best way I can.”

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys have hands full with Matt Forte

December, 7, 2013

IRVING, Texas -- Maybe this is not a good time to point out the Dallas Cowboys could have had running back Matt Forte in the 2008 draft.

Instead they took Felix Jones in the first round and never saw him develop the way they wanted. The Chicago Bears drafted Forte in the second round and all he has done is put up 6,298 rushing yards and 2,770 receiving yards.

“Great football player,” Dallas coach Jason Garrett said. “Just a fantastic football player. They hand it to him. They throw it to him. He’s a guy who makes people miss. Very good instincts for the game. He can catch the ball. He’s good in space. He’s good inside.”

In two games against the Cowboys, Forte has rushed for 81 yards and caught six passes for 34 yards and a touchdown.

The Cowboys are allowing 126.7 yards per game on the ground, which is 27th in the NFL. They have allowed three teams to rush for more than 200 yards and in three of their past four games they have allowed a 100-yard rusher (Adrian Peterson, Mark Ingram and Andre Brown).

Forte is one of three backs with 900 yards rushing and 400 yards receiving, joining Jamaal Charles and LeSean McCoy. The Cowboys played against both already and limited Charles and McCoy to 55 yards rushing apiece.

“He is an extreme challenge,” linebacker Sean Lee said. “He is one of the best all-around backs in the NFL. There is not one area of the game he is not good at. He is a great pass protector, great runner, great out of the backfield catching passes, so it’s going to be a challenge for us to try to stop him.”

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo learns to play the wind

December, 7, 2013

IRVING, Texas – There has been plenty of talk about the elements leading into Monday’s game between the Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears.

Most of it has been dealing with the cold weather.

For rookie wide receiver Terrance Williams, who grew up in Dallas and played at Baylor, there have not been many cold-weather experiences. He has already picked up on a difference in Tony Romo.

“He has to throw the ball a tad bit harder so the wind won’t take it,” Williams said. “Dome-wise, he can put a tad bit more touch. Now with the wind blowing he’s got to put a little more heat on it so it can get to us quicker.”

Romo has dealt with wind in two games this year at Philadelphia and at the New York Giants. Romo completed 51 of 85 passes for 551 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions in the wins against the NFC East rivals.

Romo and coach Jason Garrett said there is added importance of throwing a tighter spiral in the wind so the ball can fly more true.

Romo’s experience playing golf in the wind helps on the football field.

“You’ve got to play it sometimes,” Romo said. “If you’re straight down wind, a level 2 ball you might put at a level 3 and it will turn into a level 2. There are different, varying things you do with that. But I think if you’re good enough you can really use it to your advantage and help your football team.”

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys face tall order Monday night
Posted on December 7, 2013 | BY TOM ORSBORN

SAN ANTONIO – Stopping the Bears’ dynamic receiving duo of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery could be a tall order for the Cowboys on Monday night.

Marshall is 6 foot 4, 230 pounds. Jeffery is 6-3, 216.

“They’re something else,” Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin told reporters this week in Irving. “It’s like an NBA team getting off the bus – good gosh, all power forwards.”

And they’ll be matched up against the equivalent of point guards in cornerbacks Orlando Scandrick (5-10, 195) and Brandon Carr (6-0, 206)

“They’re real strong,” Scandrick told DallasCowboys.com. “They both go up and catch the ball at the high point well.

“We have faced good guys that go up, but I don’t know if we’ve faced two guys that go up and get the ball like these guys and are having seasons like these guys.”

Jeffery is fourth in the NFL in receiving yards with 1,109, while Marshall is ninth with a career-high 990. In last week’s overtime loss to Minnesota, Jeffery set a club record with 245 receiving yards.

“They’re big, strong guys who are long,” Dallas coach Jason Garrett said at a news conference in Irving. “They have good ball skills and make those contested catches. You just have to compete. You have to do a good job at the line and certainly at the point of the catch.”

Carr has struggled at times this season defending big receivers. Detroit’s Calvin Johnson burned him for 329 yards, the second highest single-game total in NFL history. On Thanksgiving Day, Oakland receiver and former Cowboys practice squad member Andre Holmes gained 136 yards against Carr.

In helping the Bears to a 34-18 win over the Cowboys last season, Marshall shook off Carr for seven catches for 138 yards and a TD.

Despite those healthy numbers, Marshall said he “absolutely hates” facing Carr. The two met often during their days in the AFC West, with Marshall lining up for Denver and Carr with Kansas City.

“He’s strong. He’s physical,” Marshall said in a conference call with the Dallas media. “It’s like playing chess out there with him. Every single play is a battle.”

Cotton

Staff member
From TBFC:

1. Dallas and Chicago have met 23 times, with the Cowboys leading the series, 13-10.

2. The last time the Cowboys played in Chicago was September 23rd, 2007. The Cowboys beat the Bears, 34-10.

3. Dallas holds a winning record in games in Chicago, 6-5.

4. Eight of the 13 Cowboys victories have been double-digit wins.

5. Twelve of the 23 games in the series have been decided by 10 points-or-less.

6. Seven of those 12 were decided by less than a touchdown and four were decided with a score in the final five minutes of the game.

7. Through 23 games, the Cowboys have scored 461 points and given up 403.

8. Dallas holds a six-game win streak over Chicago (1973-84). It ties the eighth-longest win streak in franchise history.

9. Dallas has won both playoff games between the teams - a 1977 NFC Divisional game and a 1991 first round matchup.

10. A Cowboys win would tie Dallas with San Francisco for the most Monday Night Football victories (44).

Cotton

Staff member
Murray hopes to build on run game
December, 7, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- On Thanksgiving Day, the Cowboys rushed for 144 yards, marking the second consecutive week the team reached over 100 yards this season.

It was a solid outing by starter DeMarco Murray and backup Lance Dunbar.

But late in the fourth quarter, Dunbar suffered a left knee injury and the next day it was determined he would be missed for the rest of the 2013 season because he needed surgery.

Murray is hoping what's left of the run game, Phillip Tanner and Joseph Randle, can build on what's finally been started this season: a run game.

"We got to continue to get our opportunities and run it," Murray said after Friday's practice. "I thought we did well, the offensive line blocked well. I thought we had good chemistry (against Oakland) so we got to continue (it), hopefully that will translate over to this weekend."

Monday night, the Cowboys face the Chicago Bears who have the worst ranked rush defense in the NFL. Opposing offenses are averaging five yards per carry and have scored 15 touchdowns against the Bears run defense.

The Cowboys will head into the game minus the speed of Dunbar, who was just coming along after overcoming nagging injuries and some fumbling issues. The offensive line has developed into something solid especially along the left side of the line where Tyron Smith, at left tackle, is having a Pro Bowl type season.

The Cowboys average 4.73 yards per game when running off Smith's side, the seventh-best numbers in the NFL. Running past left guard Ronald Leary has produced a 8.6 average, tops in the league. And when the team runs toward rookie center Travis Frederick, it's a 5.54 average, No. 2 in the league.

Producing these numbers while good the first three months of the season, need to remain consistent in the final four weeks.

"I think the running game is vital in the beginning of the season, middle of the season, any part you need to have a running game," Murray said. "And it's only going to help at some point and it's only going to help you in the play action and the passing game. So I think it's pretty important at all times."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Getting real sick of this poosay.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray ready for the Chicago Bears, cold weather and perhaps increased workload Monday night
By Brandon George / Reporter
bgeorge@dallasnews.com
5:22 pm on December 7, 2013 | Permalink

DeMarco Murray says it doesn’t matter whether a game is played early or late in a season or in hot or cold weather, the running game is “pretty important at all times.”

The Dallas Cowboys lead back will likely have an increased workload Monday night in Chicago with the weather expected to make throwing the football challenging.

The temperature is expected to drop to 10 degrees in Chicago on Monday night with winds at 17 mph and a 30 percent chance of snow.

The Cowboys cleared the ice off of their practice field at Valley Ranch and practiced outside Saturday in the frigid weather after moving practice Friday to Highland Park’s indoor facility.

Is Murray ready for Chicago’s weather?

“Yeah, I’m ready to run in the cold,” he said. “We know that the conditions may not be too great. We’ve got to be mentally strong in this game.”

The Cowboys added a true fullback to their roster for the first time all season this week in signing Tyler Clutts and figure to put him to use against the Bears, who have the NFL’s worst run defense.

The Bears have allowed an NFL-high 15 runs for 20-plus yards (the Cowboys have allowed six), so Murray could have plenty of chances for big gains.

Murray said he won’t overlook the Bears’ defense just because it’s struggled defending the run.

“It still is a great franchise. You grew up watching those guys and knew how great their defenses are,” Murray said. “They have a lot of pride, Monday night game, so definitely don’t take anything for granted. I know they’re going to be ready to play.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bears coach says Marty B, Ratliff have been great personality fits in the locker room

Bears coach Marc Trestman said former Cowboys Martellus Bennett and Jay Ratliff have been great fits in the locker room.

Of Bennett, Trestman said, “He’s been awesome. He’s tremendously professional in the meeting rooms. As I told people, I get a lot of questions about Martellus; he’s a unique personality. But in the meeting rooms, he’s extremely professional. He takes meticulous notes. He asks great questions. He’s one of our hardest-working players on the field, and he’s really been a great teammate to the guys in our locker room.”

Bennett is on track for career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns, and he’s already coming off career highs in all three areas last year with the New York Giants. He has 48 catches for 545 yards and five touchdowns going into Monday night’s game against the Cowboys.

Ratliff will be playing his second game for the Bears on Monday night.

“I don’t know Jeremiah as well as I know Martellus, but in the weeks that he’s been here, he worked very, very hard to get ready and to get himself back on the field,” Trestman said. “His personality has been a great fit for our locker room. While he wasn’t playing, he was with the guys. He was helping them out, coaching our younger guys. I think he’s been a great fit as a personality for our locker room. We see him as just being a great person.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Cotton

Staff member
Tyron Smith with chance, challenge

December, 9, 2013

CHICAGO -- To Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, Tyron Smith is having a Pro Bowl season.

“There’s no question in my mind,” Garrett said.

Garrett has an obvious bias when it comes to his left tackle. Smith will have a chance tonight against the Chicago Bears to show the rest of the league he deserves a trip to the Pro Bowl with his work against Julius Peppers.

Peppers might not be the player he was -- maybe he misses Rod Marinelli -- but he has four of his 6.5 sacks in the past three games. He had 2.5 sacks in Chicago’s last game against the Minnesota Vikings.

Smith has given up just one sack this season after giving up three last season in his move to left tackle.

“When he gets going, he’s about as hard to block as anybody in the National Football League,” Garrett said of Peppers. “He makes a ton of plays in the run game. He makes a ton of plays affecting the quarterback. He’s got long arms. He’s quick. He’s explosive. He just makes a lot of plays on the ball. Certainly will be a great challenge for Tyron.”

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys brace for what could be coldest regular season game in their history
By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
10:10 am on December 9, 2013 | Permalink

The sun will be down when the Cowboys and Chicago Bears kick off around 7:40 p.m.

So will the temperatures.

Temperatures are expected to hover between 19 to 22 degrees for most of the day then drop dramatically as the game nears. The forecast is that it will be in the low teens when the game starts with a wind chill in single digits. There’s a chance the temperature will plunge into single digits with a minus wind chill before the game ends.

If the temperature is below 16 degrees at kickoff, it will be the coldest regular season game in Cowboys history. The coldest game in franchise history was the Ice Bowl game against Green Bay in 1967 when it was a minus-13 degrees at kickoff.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys will make sure gear is right
December, 9, 2013

CHICAGO -- Soldier Field is one of the most historic venues in the NFL. It also has one of the worst playing surfaces.

So in addition to the cold, the Dallas Cowboys will have to make sure they wear the correct cleats for Monday night's game against the Chicago Bears.

Most will shoes with longer cleats for better traction. Sometimes that doesn’t even work. The field was re-sodded not too long ago and has a heating system to keep it from freezing, but the turf is often loose and unsteady. It can make for challenges in the kicking game as well.

Kicker Dan Bailey said he will go out earlier than normal to get used to the footing and the wind. Players often test different cleats to see which work best.

“One of the things we emphasize is (to) make sure you get your gear right,” coach Jason Garrett said. “You think about it. You spend time making sure this is going to help me feel warm, but I still can function with whatever these sleeves are, whatever these gloves are, the tights, whatever you wear on your feet. The goal when you’re playing is you’re not thinking about the cold. You’re just playing football.

“You’ve got to be mentally tough enough to focus on the task at hand and don’t let the elements be a factor.”

Cotton

Staff member
Will cold weather bring more Bryant fumbles?
Posted on December 9, 2013 | BY TOM ORSBORN

CHICAGO – With the temperature expected to be below 20 degrees at kickoff Monday night, the Cowboys have to be concerned about ball security, especially when it comes to Dez Bryant.

The receiver has fumbled twice in the past two games.

“You just continue to improve on his ball security,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said last week.

“Dez is a really competitive guy. A couple of those fumbles have been when he’s extended the play and he refuses to go down. That’s a good thing, but again you have to channel that sometimes. A couple of them have been bang-bang type plays, where he catches it and before you know it a guy has gotten his hand in there. Just a matter of catching it, tucking it and being real secure with it. He’s touched the ball a lot this year and for the most part he’s done a pretty good job taking care of the ball but one fumble is too many for any of us.”

The Cowboys typically take 12,000 to 13,000 pounds of equipment on the road, according to the Dallas Morning News. But they brought more than 15,000 on this trip to provide the players and coaches with cold-weather gear.

“You would rather it be 75 and sunny. No question about that. No wind,” Garrett said. “That’s just the nature of it, but having said that, they’ve been playing football in all kinds of weather for a long time A lot of us grew up playing in different kinds of weather and there’s a certain atmosphere that gets created when you play football in inclement weather and a lot of us embrace it because it’s a great part of the game and it has been for a long time.”

Top Bottom